are we becoming the Florida of the Midwest?

Geeto67

Am I the only one who felt a shiver reading this story? All the times we've ended up doing a tire change or a repair on a slightly sketchy jack setup? And I love that they discovered a guy with a squished head that no doubt made quite a mess but kept up with business as usual... don't think that had anything to do with it being the last sales weekend of the month do we? ;)

Am I the only one who felt a shiver reading this story? All the times we've ended up doing a tire change or a repair on a slightly sketchy jack setup? And I love that they discovered a guy with a squished head that no doubt made quite a mess but kept up with business as usual... don't think that had anything to do with it being the last sales weekend of the month do we? ;)

I have had many a car fall of a jack during a tire change, and a guy in my neighborhood in the 90's was killed under his '70 trans am when he accidentally kicked a jack stand out, so I shivered the first couple times I read it. I had a bmw factory jack completely fall apart under the car on my buddy's E46 3 series not long ago.

the thing I can't figure out: if he was stealing wheels, what was he doing UNDER the vehicle? Every single tire removal I have ever done (including once placing a car on cinderblocks) I was not under the car. Was he trying to steal the under bumper spare? or the cat? weird.

Even with the under bumper you can usually access those from the back of most SUVs can't you? I've pulled it from my 4Runner and a friends Armada without having to lift the truck up..

From the way it sounds in the article the thing..landed on his HEAD?

I'm wondering if he jacked up the truck, unbolted the lugs and had his head in the wheel well (between the fender and top of the tire) when the jack collapsed and crushed his head and/or neck.

Understanding how his body is oriented when they discovered him would tell the story.

From the way it sounds in the article the thing..landed on his HEAD?

That's what is said in the TTAC article:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/08/dealership-wheel-theft-turns-deadly-ohio/

the man, identified as Richard E. Ritch, was killed as he attempted to remove the first of the Yukon’s wheels at some point the previous night. The county coroner’s office claims the SUV fell off the jack and impacted his head, crushing him

yeah, I really can't think for the life of me why he would be under the car unless he was harvesting something else. He would have to be pretty far under there for nobody to notice him.

I want to buy that vehicle. My tag will be "SQUISHD" and have it murdered out. May even throw a Thieves beware sign on it discreetly .

But seriously. At least it's another the if off the streets. No remorse for them

I want to buy that vehicle. My tag will be "SQUISHD" and have it murdered out. May even throw a Thieves beware sign on it discreetly .

But seriously. At least it's another the if off the streets. No remorse for them

Pure gold right here.

Might have seen a cruiser drive by, and decided to hide under the truck.

One of the dealerships on West Broad had a similar case years back. Guy had gotten most of the lot stripped already, went back for a couple spares, got a Toyota pumpkin to the chest. Made the Darwin Awards even!