mold in car

smokin5s

So my car has been in storage, my father in-law put a plastic tarp over it thinking it would help protect it. The garage that it was being stored in had a minor flood. because of the plastic tarp, it didn't allow the water to dicipate properly and there is now mold all over the dash, seats, etc.... What is the best way to clean the mold including in the HVAC? Does anyone know of a company that can properly clean the car?

If it's actually into the hvac your pretty screwed without replacing the infected parts , mold spors are no joke and if you turn on the ac and that stuff is floating around in a small area you can get very sick very quick , seems like a mold remediation company would be your best call

Debt magic/wizard used to but it has honestly been a while since I have needed but try giving them a call and see if it is still a service, Edited by Paul
Edit remove todd estoric per anthonys requst

A GOOD detailer should be able to work some magic, but it sounds like a lotta loot either way you go, unless you personally disasseble the interior and clean everything after researching and buying proper chemicals.

Quick Googled example: http://northwestautosalon.com/services/interior-detailing/mold-remediation-removal/

I think its distilled white vinegar. Spray it everywhere, let soak, use brush, extract, wipe clean, allow to dry completely, might need to remove carpets, seats etc. Do that a ton, and then follow with ozone machine.

As far as if its in the hvac, you pretty much have to remove and clean/replace.

You will need to get the temperature in the car above 145 degrees for at least 45 minutes to kill mold spores. The key to this is removing the carpet, as the carpet will hold the shit water forever, and the moisture in the car will allow the mold to continue. Believe me if the carpet got wet and has any foam rubber sound deadening you must remove it and dry it out and spray with chemicals and power wash, and allow thorough drying time in the sun. The rest can be taken care of with spray chemicals and ozone machine. Mold is much easier than rodent urine and feces, which is almost impossible.

man, that worries me. pulling out the seats and the carpet is no biggie... taking apart the HVAC and yanking apart the dash is a whole different story. Running the car for several hours at idle isn't a good idea. I guess I could hook it up to a battery charger and then just let the fan run, but that won't necessarily get the heater or A/C taken care of would it? I have storage insurance on the car. I'm wondering if this would be covered.

Should definitely be covered if the place flooded.

For the HVAC, you could probably remove the cabin air filter under hood, and spray the appropriate chemical while running the a/c. Depends on vehicle though.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Would just like to add that even once the mold spores are killed, they do still exist and can still cause irritation and an allergic reaction. So be sure to wear an appropriate mask and clean your clothing properly afterward. At least a good outside shaking out and then straight to the washer.

Good luck, man. Will be a lot of work. I hope they cover it.