Why I HATE using the "retail" parts stores...

craig71188

:mad:So I've worked in the automotive aftermarket for 40+ years. I know that good counter people are hard to get and keep and they don't get paid near enough. The retailers are hard pressed to get any help and obviously Sunday is when the folks lowest on the totem pole get to work.

I needed a few small parts for the race car to finish up a couple of projects. I had 3 muffler clamps from O'Reilly's sitting on the bench, in the O'Reilly's bag with the receipt. I figured I would run over to the North High St store to grab my other parts and take the clamps back. No customers in the store, the person I assume was the manager is on a call and another employee is "hovering" near her behind the counter - in a "Team O'Reilly's t-shirt. I come in, set down the bag on the counter and wait. Call ends, she speaks to the other employee and then takes another call - no acknowledgment I am even there. I leave the bag, walk down the aisle and grab my stuff. I hear the manager announce she is going out for a smoke. I walk back to the counter (where I left the bag) a second employee (also in a "Team O'Reilly" t-shirt) is now at the counter with the first one a couple terminals down chatting. Still no acknowledgment. I pick up the bag and bring it down to them with my parts. I set down the bag and tell them I have a few parts I didn't need and wanted to get the others I had with me. The first words I hear spoken to me "So this is a return?". Uh, yes. He then asks if I want to do this transaction "all together". I say yes. He scans the clamps, studies the receipt and asks if I have the card the purchase was originally made on. I tell him I think so and hand him a card - not the right one. I ask where it shows the card number, I look and realize it's an old card I no longer have. I mention that I am buying more than I am returning so there is no credit that will be issued against the card. The next response "it doesn't make any difference if it's a $100 profit that's what I have to deal with. This job ain't worth getting in trouble over". I mention it's not worth my time and trouble to do business there, take my part and leave.

WTF?!?! Is this the best we can do??? I try to do business locally so as to keep folks employed, paying taxes etc., but this is why I buy more and more online. This is also why I do most of my parts business with parts stores that do not cater to retail. Also, t-shirts? If your a great counterman I can tolerate it - a dude with a poor attitude in a t-shirt, no thanks. Maybe a bit more professional attire would prompt a more professional attitude. Sorry O'Reilly's, your hiring of this poor attitude employee will just prompt me to travel (the same distance) in another direction the next time I need something.

Maybe I'm just a cranky old fart, but it's now too much to ask for "I'll be with you in a minute". I will dress in a professional manner. If I can't help you I will ask my manager, or at least not quasi-bitch about my job??? I can throw the $10 in clamps away and still eat tomorrow. Am I really asking for too much here???

Rant over....

Retail is dying in general...I avoid auto parts stores as much as I possibly can:

1) Rockauto.com - OEM-similar replacement parts

2) Amazon.com - OEM or aftermarket parts to price-shop

3) Wal-Mart - consumable fluids, like engine oil and car-wash products

4) Afermarket performance parts site.

I figured they would have to ask you what year of car are the returns for. They can't do anything without the year. My dad is in auto repair and best commercial/parts man was this guy Tom at the Reynoldsburg AZ. Believe he is/was at Zanesville location now. AZ should have paid him whatever was needed to keep him. Some other shop owners told AZ the same thing before he left. Several times I'd walk in grabbing parts and he is on 2 phones taking orders while getting orders on the computer. Then getting all the parts out on another computer. A guy like that is more important than people think, especially for shops. Most of them now have no clue.

When I was at AutoZone they said the phone is more important that the customer at the counter.

I said horseshit to that, I've got someone here willing to spend cash and some tire kicker on the line again. I've been lucky and always had great service, I've got to be on a first name basis with the guys at the parts stores I frequent which helps out a lot.

Napa is usually great, AutoZone/Advance/OReillys/etc are hit or miss.

Several years ago I needed new front brake rotors for my '97 GTP, but the car had a "bigger brake" upgrade using factory GM parts. So I went to AutoZone and asked for rotors for an '04 Impala or whatever it was that I needed. The guy started asking if it was an SS, and he got confused when I told him I didn't actually own an Impala, the rotors were for my GTP. He said they wouldn't work on my GTP because "Impalas are RWD and the rotors are designed different" :rolleyes:

The best part of the story? He claimed he was the manager "so I better listen to him" because "he knows his stuff" and told me I would regret buying the rotors I was asking for. That's the day I learned most those people working at parts stores were idiots.

Napa is usually great, AutoZone/Advance/OReillys/etc are hit or miss.

Several years ago I needed new front brake rotors for my '97 GTP, but the car had a "bigger brake" upgrade using factory GM parts. So I went to AutoZone and asked for rotors for an '04 Impala or whatever it was that I needed. The guy started asking if it was an SS, and he got confused when I told him I didn't actually own an Impala, the rotors were for my GTP. He said they wouldn't work on my GTP because "Impalas are RWD and the rotors are designed different" :rolleyes:

The best part of the story? He claimed he was the manager "so I better listen to him" because "he knows his stuff" and told me I would regret buying the rotors I was asking for. That's the day I learned most those people working at parts stores were idiots.

Back when I had my Camaro, everyone would run the Silverado filters because they were bigger. Every time I'd go into An autozone or advanced auto, I'd ask for an oil filter for an '04 Silverado with the 6.0 engine. Every time it would turn into the same discussion like you'd have above and they'd insist it wouldn't fit or some other total shit. Finally I went to Napa and asked for a particular filter number, guy said no problem and didn't even look on the computer. When he came back, he asked if I was running it on an LS car or truck. When I said car he smiled and asked if I went "to the other place" first and laughed when I told him yes. Sadly, that guy no longer works there so I just order all my parts online.

OReilly's has always been terrible, honestly I deleted their number from my phone.... I go to Advance anymore, speed perks rewards is hard to beat. Otherwise depending on what it is I'll order some stuff online (warrantying parts out is easier in the store then shipping parts back for online and less down time when it needs to be up and running).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OReilly's has always been terrible, honestly I deleted their number from my phone.... I go to Advance anymore, speed perks rewards is hard to beat. Otherwise depending on what it is I'll order some stuff online (warrantying parts out is easier in the store then shipping parts back for online and less down time when it needs to be up and running).

Always order your instore pickups ahead, and use code trt30 for 30℅ off.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thanks! Thats awesome!

I think it's only on purchases of $50+, but it's saved me hundreds over the last three years. I think Theresa 15℅ code for smaller purchases.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Luckily if I need something that I can't wait for working in a shop has always saved me from the dumbass questions. Still it's cheaper and simpler to use Rockauto most of the time.

Never fails though on the occasion I have to swing into a parts store I'm wearing my work clothes and some cheap ass wants free tech advice. I've learned to inform people that the detail guys wear the same uniforms and I just wash cars.

There are two types of issues in dealing with live parts stores: Lack of employee knowledge, and bad customer service.

I find that usually if you do enough research you can often overcome lack of employee knowledge. Even when faced with the dumbest clerk who is constantly asking you "what year/make/model" for a dash board bulb you are holding in your hand, if you know how to read bulbs you can work around the fact the counter guy has the IQ of burnt toast.

Bad customer service however, is a real problem and not exclusive to auto parts stores but all retail outlets. For some reason though, auto part stores tend to suffer more than most because of their hiring policies, lack of training, and revolving door management. Buying online eliminates that customer service element because the whole thing is streamlined to eliminate issues like employees not knowing how to work the register.

When it comes to auto parts stores, if you find one that has good customer service, you can work with everything else to continue to support local. And honestly supporting that particular one makes a bigger difference because performance numbers are all higher mgmt seems to look at in making decisions that affect the store.

I personally use the Advance on Bethel road (next to kroger), the Autozone on sawmill (next to the chik-fil-a), and the NAPA depot on 161 because those are all places that I received exceptional service. There is an Advance Auto parts in the Hilliard Square Shopping Center off Cemetery road that I would literally love to see burn to the ground - every time I have been in there the employees are the magic combination of rude and window licking level of auto parts knowledge. I have never had a positive experience at an O'Reiliy's and wont set foot in one.

When I was in high School I worked for Auto Barn, the NY regional chain of Auto Parts stores. I worked in the store and in the warehouse. I helped customers, I stocked inventory, did a little bit of everything. There are some great people working in autoparts but the system is not meritorious. The best customer service could overcome any knowledge problem, but bad service and I don't care if you can rebuild the Space shuttle with hand tools. But corporate treats them all the same and all part of the same unit. The retail model conflicts with the auto parts business - people don't go into the gap and expect the sales girl to know about french seams and quality cuts of fabrics, but we do walk into an auto parts store and expect the sales clerk to tell us what part our car needs based on a bad imitation of a duck we are now performing for him in front of all the other customers. The moment the business figures this out and adjusts it's model the better they will do.

Craig, I'm sorry you got bad customer service. Maybe try another O'Reiliy's to make the return and you'll have better luck. I like that you want to support local, I do the same and believe it makes a difference. I also don't trust the aftermarket to make a quality part that fits every vehicle and end up returning a ton of stuff and it is easier for me to do in person.

So far my experiences at NAPA have been the only consistently good ones. Anywhere else I go, I make sure I know the exact part number I need before I show up; anything less results in complete chaos.

5 min of online research or calling a dealer to get the right part number is worth it.

I usually go to Autozone. There are only 2 guys left that don't hassle me now, but they switch back and forth between stores.

My truck is a frankenstein. I have to pick and choose what vehicles the parts come from, sometimes on the same trip, so most aren't help at all, or fight me the whole time telling me over and over how GM never mad a truck like mine, so nothing I'm buying will fit on my truck. I've made quite a few go outside, and seeing a turbo blows their minds. Then they kind of get it, but most ask if I put a diesel in since it has a turbo.

Orielys and Advanced are useless in Zanesville.

I personally use the Advance on Bethel road (next to kroger)

Good to know my old store is still doing it right ;)

As a CR member who ran 3 different parts stores as a GM for Advance over the years.. believe me you've no idea the pain you deal with on a daily basis. Oh the stories I could tell..

As a CR member who ran 3 different parts stores as a GM for Advance over the years.. believe me you've no idea the pain you deal with on a daily basis. Oh the stories I could tell..

Do tell. I'd like to hear (read) them.

Pain with the mgmt? employees? or the customers?

Having started in retail auto parts (Nationwise) a million years ago - I can imagine the employees and the tales you could tell. I still have a few about the old 5th & Leonard store!!!

Of the retailers, I use this store the most - I'm about halfway between it and the N High O'Reilly's. Most of the time I know the brand and part number, order it online and just pick it up in the store So many of the retail guys only stock the cheapest stuff in there stores - the brand name stuff is in the hub or warehouse. Autozone on N High is actually closest to me, but I will not use "Duralast" product as it is typically a hodge podge of "lowest bidder" parts.

I will go to Walmart for batteries, filters, chemicals.

Depending on the brand needed I will use Bill up at MidState, or call Smyth and pick it up downtown. You just have to be sure they haven't bought some distressed product and mixed it in with their branded stuff.

IF I can wait I may use Amazon, Rock not so much as I know who fulfills their orders and can call them directly and get what I need for the same or better price most of the time.

NAPA is OK and the hub warehouse on 161 is pretty good, but again, with most of their stuff in "NAPA brand" you don't always know who's supplying it.

In an ideal business world you want to hire the best of the best, staff your stores with the people who know your product best and communicate it to the customer base. You charge a fair price for parts to cover the actual cost, cover your expenses (labor, utils, etc), plus protect a profit margin enough to reinvest and grow your business as well as put some aside for future growth or share holder pay back. Now let's look at the current state of the auto parts world.

Your retail locations are ruled by corporate guidelines on pay. Typically most counter persons are paid between $8-$13 per hour depending on location and experience. These people are expected to maintain the sales floor, work inventory, interact with customers, install batteries, scan codes, and provide a generally positive shopping experience. Hours of availability are 7am-10pm m-f and vary on Sundays. Your assistant managers are paid a few dollars an hour more with the same responsibilities plus the back end/paperwork/keyholder responsibilities.

So on the hiring side you are paying less than or equal to non skilled labor positions which are constantly hiring in almost any area. You are staffing for hours which may (read WILL) include early mornings and late nights as well as required weekends. You are requiring considerably larger job responsibilities than stocking shelves, all for the same or less compensation. On top of all THESE challenges you have an exact amount of labor hours you are allowed to fill your schedule that are predetermined based on a computer and some team in another state knowing your business better than you who are in your store 5-6 days a week.

Enter the biggest issue, online parts sales. With sites like Rock Auto that have little staffing, a very low overhead business model, and accept a lower than standard across the board profit margin, standard part stores are fighting with 1 hand and 2 toes against a ninja. The more sales that go online, whether through a retailers site or a competitor online only site the lower the "retail sales" which in turn means fewer labor hours to spend.

You will find most parts stores have a policy that they "Don't Match Online Retailers" for exactly this reason, the playing field is far from level and what is the point of selling something at below my cost (after cost/utils/labor/etc)? If you aren't making money you are just having a very slow going out of business sale.

Unfortunately, gone are the days of having those "Parts Pros" we all remember from the pre-internet age. The "Old Guys" that could rebuild a chevy small block with their eyes closed with parts they have behind the counter. Those guys have moved on, aged out, and become too expensive for the modern business to support. Now you are in an age of forum crawlers, extreme discount shoppers, facebook groups, all that can be great tools for knowledge and best possible pricing.

Sound like a fun battle to you? Interested in taking a job as a General Manager? They're always hiring, oh and base pay rates for GMs start in the $35k range! Apply today!