Why I HATE using the "retail" parts stores...

craig71188

Not too much of a complaint but here was my recent story.

I needed some expansion/freeze plugs for the heads I'm working on. Just stock 3800 Series II heads. I found the part number, went online and O'reillys were the only ones that could get them. I called them up Monday night and spoke with a guy. Gave him the part number and said he doesn't have them and could get them by tomorrow. Not a big deal. I gave him my number and he has my name and I said thanks and I'll be over tomorrow night.

Last night I run down to the store after work (Westerville Rd). Some lady is working there. I told her that I had something ordered and it should have been there (somewhere). Gave her my name/number. She looked it up in the computer. Nothing. She goes and checks in the back. Comes back. Couldn't find them. Then asks me what car it's for. I said don't worry about it, you won't find it. I had the part number memorized. Gave her the number. Still couldn't find it. Apparently what I found online in 2 seconds she couldn't find on their computer.

Then she goes back again and comes back with the bag. She said the other guy was hiding them from her (sigh).

So that process took 15 minutes (13 minutes longer than it should have). Not that it matters much but when I give direct part numbers for things that I found on your site, you should be able to look it up on your store computer and not have to look up what year/make/model what it's for. :yuno:

Buck, you would think so but unfortunately that's not how it works. All stores are on a retail electronic parts catalog these days so going after an exact part number can be a massive pain in the ass. Something as simple as I need an oil filter for a chevy tree fiddy if you don't have the actual filter number memorized requires you to think, ok what could this engine have possibly come out of originally? A 1976... etc etc. You get the same sort of frustration though calling a dealer parts department and the first words out of their mouth are "What's the last 8 of the VIN"

On the not finding your order thing, I would be lying if that weren't a constant problem. Again organizational skills aren't the best when you pay the monkeys peanuts

I miss Jono at the Bethel Advance Auto. OGs wll remember the good old days.

Its a very challenging business dynamic. It seems like there is a crazy high density of these auto parts stores. Everyone wants a super knowledgeable guy to be behind the counter but no one wants to pay the part prices to keep him there.

With that said I do try to buy some things, especially things I may need warranty on, at the local store. Its nice not to have to deal with shipping stuff back for warranty and having a car down.

The oil prices are insane though at most auto parts stores.

Lol, y'all make me laugh. Retail is literally the bottom of the barrel. The lowest common denominator will always win in retail. They care about one thing, the bottom line. Period. They hire any warm body, that walks into the store, most can't pass a drug test... And they pay them the absolute least amount they possibly can. Keep bitching about service, all the while buying shit online... That's the biggest reason that "brick and mortar" retail stores are dying. Between the overhead, and the employee costs, they can't compete with the online retailers. It's all good though... Eventually the brick and mortar stores will go away, and all you'll have is online stores, and shipping wait times.

More than most stores that Bethel Rd location has gone through some serious swings. From being one of the best stores in the region to one of the worst, to a high powered commercial program when I was there to not even a delivery truck now. Hell that store almost CLOSED a year ago it's so low on volume now.