Bathroom remodel/permits needed?

evan9381

I've got a 1/2 bath in my lower level. Soon, I'll be looking to add a shower stall to make it a 3/4 bath. We're going to have to break up the concrete slab to tie in to the drain for the sink/toilet.

What kind of permits do I need to look into getting for a project like this?

Best thing to do is call or better yet go to the permit office and talk to them. They are normally nice about explaining the process.

Technically your looking at an inspection of the new lines, drain and supply, and where they tie into the old system. One to inspect the framing and pan (depending if it's poured,framed,or drop in, also to check the clearances between shower/toilet/vanity/wall/door meet code. Assuming you don't need to add a fan or lights or any electrical because once you touch the electric, you have to upgrade your smoke detectors/co2 for the house to code.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

if you hire someone, make sure they pull a permit...if you do it yourself-I would never pull one.

I was thinking the same thing, but what happens if I go to sell the house and have a 2 bath house that the auditor shows as 1.5?

I was thinking the same thing, but what happens if I go to sell the house and have a 2 bath house that the auditor shows as 1.5?

IF it goes that far and they find its not permitted it would all have to be torn out and Inspected worst case to at that point get it permitted

Better just do it now the correct way than worry about covering it up later on

If it's something like this I'd pull a permit. If it was a water heater or furnace or some dumb shit like that, don't bother.

Technically, some cities require a permit/inspector on water heaters. It's dumb. If it was me I wouldn't get one, but I know licensed plumbers that would do it without one. (I do concrete core drilling).

IF it goes that far and they find its not permitted it would all have to be torn out and Inspected worst case to at that point get it permitted

Better just do it now the correct way than worry about covering it up later on

I would only worry about that if the lower level has a walkout way (that adds sq. footage to overall house). If not, than it's not really a selling point. Might have permit, initial inspection, then final inspection fees. Depends on area/codes.

Technically, some cities require a permit/inspector on water heaters. It's dumb. If it was me I wouldn't get one, but I know licensed plumbers that would do it without one. (I do concrete core drilling).

Yeah that was my point lol. I've done 15 water heaters and 10 HVAC units and never pulled a permit.