BMW brake dragging?

zeitgeist57

My '95 BMW 318i has been recently dragging: after it's sat for a few days, or after it's been driving on the highway for a bit, it doesn't coast well. It rolls to a stop quickly and sits at a light with very little brake pedal to hold it.

I thought it might've been a front wheel bearing (I just replaced the rears) but yesterday I jacked up the front wheels and tested. Bearings seemed to be in great shape, and the wheels rolled very well.

I jacked up one side of the rear wheels, and it didn't spin very well...but then I realized it was probably the LSD since the other side was on the ground. There was no brake dragging.

This morning, I got to work and in the parking garage it was definitely doing it again. I touched both rotors on the drivers' side and they were warm to the touch but not too hot. I touched the passenger-side front rotor and it was so hot it burnt the skin on the tip of my finger. :lol:

I replaced the brake pads and rotors maybe a year ago and only did a few thousand miles since then. The wear on the rotors seems somewhat consistent. Admittedly, I haven't flushed the brake fluid in a few years.

Should I start with power-bleeding? I have more than enough ATE 200 fluid from a guy at CC&C. Should I replace the brake lines with braided SS at each wheel for good measure?

I am actually a little happy you burned your finger clay that will teach you , take you brakes apart and compress the calipers and make sure they are not sticking, also check and make sure you calipers are actually sliding and one of the slides/bolts is not seized

Most important question, how's you wittle finger tip? ;)

http://i.imgur.com/apOcCvzm.jpg

Serves me right. :lol:

Thanks, guys. I'll bleed the brakes anyway, will caliper the pistons again as part of it to make sure they're sliding fine (did it before when I swapped out the pads).