PC Help needed !!!

mrbret

Ok so i turned my PC on when i got home, logged on to the internet then within 2 mins everything just froze up and a couple mins later the PC shut down.

I tried to reboot but got a black screen with the following:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

<windows root>\system32\hal.dll.

Please re-install a copy of the above file.

I searched online (with my phone) for this error but all the solutions seem to either involve getting online and downloading something (which i cant do because it wont boot up) or just reinstalling the Windows disc and loading the file that way (which i cant do as it came preinstalled on the partitoned hard drive).

I tried booting in SAFE MODE but that does not work, it just takes me back to the error screen.

I have a Compaq PC with Windows XP.

Any help or useable info would be a great help.

Thanks

Oh, and a hard drive format is not an option.

Edited by mrbret

You have a few options, but it depends on how computer savvy you are. Before anything, I'd try a repair install like cdub said, but alot of people don't have those anymore and going around to find one will take as much time as my next option. I have burned CDs for XP and Vista, if needed. The other option: Ubuntu Live and Windows PE are bootable "live" (meaning they don't need to be installed, the run directly from memory + the media device they are on) operating systems that you can have on CD or a thumb drive. Then you can use that OS + some type of external media (USB hard drive or thumb drive) to copy all your stuff off that you need and then you can format your hard drive and start over without losing anything. I'm assuming that's why you said formatting isn't an option.

1. Rescue/backup any files of importance. either boot the drive on another computer as the 2nd hard drive, or use a boot CD that allows a copy of files to another drive or USB device.

2. Run hard drive diagnostics to see if the drive is ok. I use the manufacturer's free downloaded CDs. The SeaGate SeaTools will work on any modern drive.

3. If the hard drive is ok, repair the operating system. If the hard drive is not ok, but passes after a repair with the hard drive diagnostics tool, repair the operating system. If the hard drive fails, repeat the rescue/backup of the files in item #1, if necessary, and replace hard drive and operating system.

Quick method: get another hard drive and operating system, and install it as your Master drive. Move your old one to Slave drive. All your files will be accessable, but the programs might not run after moving from C: to D:. Figure out what went wrong later.

Cheat method: boot a CD or floppy, find the bad file, rename it so it won't work (*.xxx or *.old, etc). Find the file needed on another similar computer and copy it over on to your computer in the right folder location. Boot and see what happens.

Maybe i'm not as tech savvy as everyone else but everything seems to involve me:

1) having a CD of some kind - No CD as it all comes preinstalled.

2) Perform multi functions once windows has losded - Windows wont load, thats my whole problem

3) Having 2 PCs or HDDs - Sorry, just a 1 PC household here.

The Microsoft link involves #1 & 2 above.

If anyone can provide a boot CD and instruction and if its dry will be at bike tomorrow (if its dry) i'll owe you one.

Hey Bret if the weather holds and I make it out I will bring my WindowsXP disk, I believe it is bootable.

Also, since you obviously have access to another pc (probably at work) did you manage to get a copy

of the corrupted/missing file from another pc? If you did not, I have placed a copy from my pc on my website

where you can download it and save it to a cd or floppy so that you can try and copy it over.

The file is here...

http://www.davidrosso.com/temp/HAL.DLL

1. Rescue/backup any files of importance. either boot the drive on another computer as the 2nd hard drive, or use a boot CD that allows a copy of files to another drive or USB device.

2. Run hard drive diagnostics to see if the drive is ok. I use the manufacturer's free downloaded CDs. The SeaGate SeaTools will work on any modern drive.

3. If the hard drive is ok, repair the operating system. If the hard drive is not ok, but passes after a repair with the hard drive diagnostics tool, repair the operating system. If the hard drive fails, repeat the rescue/backup of the files in item #1, if necessary, and replace hard drive and operating system.

Quick method: get another hard drive and operating system, and install it as your Master drive. Move your old one to Slave drive. All your files will be accessable, but the programs might not run after moving from C: to D:. Figure out what went wrong later.

Cheat method: boot a CD or floppy, find the bad file, rename it so it won't work (*.xxx or *.old, etc). Find the file needed on another similar computer and copy it over on to your computer in the right folder location. Boot and see what happens.

This is good advise.

You have to make sure the drive is physically OK first. If you lost that file due to a bad drive cluster, its only going to get worse. If you know someone with GRC Spinrite, use it.

If you have a bad cluster get your data off of it and buy a new drive. Yes, you can reformat and the system will mark the cluster as bad and work for some time. That is a time bomb waiting to happen. GRC Spinrite will actually recover corrupt data by moving data from bad clusters to good clusters.

You need to get the missing file on a thumb drive and use Winternals or UbuntuLive and copy the "good" file up to replace the "bad" one.

BUT, I would try to replace the boot.ini first. That might actually be your issue. This is a little tricky though. If you could just check to see if its there and says something like:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Your cool there...

Your PC must have come with some disks.

Try to get to the recovery console & type: fixboot

David & Chris

Lots of good info, seems like very tech stuff and only reading this on thd phone makes it seem worse.

I cant download anything as i'm on the phone. I'm off work till tomorrow so cant get anything from there yet either.

I dont know how to copy my stuff from the PC if it wont start.

Maybe just my a new PC and have them copy my stuff accross.

...reading this on thd phone makes it seem worse.

Try going to the library, you can use the computers there for free to at least log on here and read up on this rather then on your phone. Before I give up I see if you can take it somewhere that offers "recovery & antivirus services".

3) Having 2 PCs or HDDs - Sorry, just a 1 PC household here.

Take your HDD to a friends house & put it in their computer? I would offer to come to you and help but thats a bit far. I'd do it if you paid for gas on the bike ($10)

I have a Ubuntu Live CD, Ultimate Boot CD for Windows (UBCD), and a Ubuntu Live USB... I used to be in IT... anyway, any of these tools will make boot your computer into a usable state so we could fix it. How old is the computer?

They wife is gonna try & do a boot CD at work tonight, see if that works when she gets home.

If it boots up from there then i'll try the post about renaming the system32\hal thing then downloading it & re-adding it etc.

The PC is 2-3 years old I think.

I'm over at the Polaris building now working for a temporary time. Bring me your HDD and I will fix it for you. PM me for my cell or I'm in B wing... don't know the room.. Ill put it on here tomorrow.

Man you really must have a stick up your ass huh? I make a joke, you give me neg rep, and don't have the balls to sign it. :nono:

Why is it such a big deal if it was signed or not? You got neg rep for your no-help-at-all comment. Next time, just to keep you happy I will sign it.

If you want to post random no help shit then please to it somewhere else.

Damn, you'd think the neg rep was a big deal, get over it noob.

I'm over at the Polaris building now working for a temporary time. Bring me your HDD and I will fix it for you. PM me for my cell or I'm in B wing... don't know the room.. Ill put it on here tomorrow.

Thanks Rob. The wife has made a boot/repair disc at work so i'll try that when I get home. If no joy there i'll try to bring it in tomorrow (Friday) if you are around. I'll be in at 4:30pm & on SameTime all the time i'm here.