WWCRD: 2002 Mini Cooper - wife wants to look at it.

zeitgeist57

No.

They start to fall apart well before 100k miles, and will cost you when things break. Every single person I've know that has owned one, had nothing but bad things to say. Granted all women, who had to pay someone else to work on it.

Get a 300D, or a newer Saab 9-3 or 9-5. Piss cheap. Reliable and comfortable.

Funny you say that...

Earlier today, I went to Heath to look at a 2001 Saab 9-3 Convertible. Thing had such bad cowl shake, owner smoked, and the interior was filthy with a million little things wrong with it. I offered $1600 and said I'd have to tell my wife. He countered at $1800, and I got a pit in my stomach; I didn't want this thing AT ALL. Shook his hand and walked away. It's still for sale...if you want to fix the softtop, figure out why the TCS/ABS/BRAKE lights are on the dash, fix the one broken suspension, replace the broken antenna, replace the broken drivers' glass headlight, deep-clean the interior...

http://zanesville.craigslist.org/cto/5717433643.html

Back to the MINI:

The car - and the owners - were great. She had all the MAG service records since new...it was a thick folder. The transmission, clutch and flywheel were replaced at 55k miles in 2009 under recall. Same with the power steering pump and fan in May of this year. There were zero leaks, no rust. Car was in amazing shape. Only problems were:

- Goodyears were dry-rotted, and howled like crazy whilst rolling.

- Brake rotors were rusty. Good material left, but they had been on there for awhile.

Headliner was starting to sag.

Otherwise, it leaked nothing...was a lot of fun to drive, and the kids were totally ga-ga for it.

I offered $3k, which the owner politely refused. We had a really nice discussion. She works at OSU Center for Automotive Research, and her and the husband were really nice people. She's got a couple of others coming, she doesn't want to do CL or eBay, and we agreed on a price that is still low but reflects that I'll need to put tires on it. If someone buys it before me, so be it.

Cool little car. I was a fan. :)

They are complete junk. I am not one of those guys who is all "durr hurr German cars are expensive and break a lot" but seriously, Mini's are expensive and break a lot. They are alright if you have a warranty, but second hand absolutely not.

GOOD NEWS! Owner just got an offer for $3800, she said she had another interested party, and they immediately went to full price offer. Person is supposedly paying this afternoon.

There's an ass for every seat. ;)

Thanks again, CR! The collective experience/knowledge/opinion is appreciated.

No.

They start to fall apart well before 100k miles, and will cost you when things break. Every single person I've know that has owned one, had nothing but bad things to say. Granted all women, who had to pay someone else to work on it.

Get a 300D, or a newer Saab 9-3 or 9-5. Piss cheap. Reliable and comfortable.

This has been my experience as well. I considered getting one myself for fun but after all the ZOMG NOOOOO I HATE IT stories, I balked.

GOOD NEWS! Owner just got an offer for $3800, she said she had another interested party, and they immediately went to full price offer. Person is supposedly paying this afternoon.

There's an ass for every seat. ;)

Thanks again, CR! The collective experience/knowledge/opinion is appreciated.

Good deal! :p

They are complete junk. I am not one of those guys who is all "durr hurr German cars are expensive and break a lot" but seriously, Mini's are expensive and break a lot. They are alright if you have a warranty, but second hand absolutely not.

Well apparently you don't own enough German cars then.

Clay if your looking to spend about 3k why not get a cobalt? Seriously they are cheap to work on, easy to work on, and are a updated larger cavalier

Steve, The Cavalier will soldier on. I'll get new fuel lines and brake lines, and just install them myself. No need for a newer Cavalier in the form of a Cobalt.

Good thought, though. The Cavvy is fine aside from the hard lines rusting out. Once fixed, other bolt-on parts should be relatively straightforward to repair in the future. Plus, it's already had a tuneup, new front brakes, end links, wheel bearings, etc...even new tires.