Best BBQ style and sauce

Lauren

I have been traveling pretty much non stop since late June til this week with a few pit stops back home here in Columbus. I was in Nashville, Memphis and Kansas City in the last month. I'm a sucker for BBQ food so I had to explore these cities. I have concluded Memphis is ok, Nashville I prefer hot chicken, but Kansas City BBQ is heavenly. There is a place called Q39 and there BBQ is unworldly. If you are ever in KC go.

I brought home two bottles of sauce from KC. First is firebug hot. I ha e been enjoying it a lot. I also brought home a bottle of Arthur Bryant's. This has such a distinct flavor to it. Part of me hates it and part of me loves it, so I just keep consuming it.

So what's everyone's preferred style of BBQ and what's your favorite sauce?

Whenever I'm in Nashville I usually hit up Martin's. I'll get a huge sampler plate, eat half and save the rest for drunk ryan later that night.

That being said, I work part time for Hoggy's in Cbus. Our BBQ is mustard based and personally I'm not a fan of mustard at all but I do enjoy our BBQ. I have made my own BBW sauce at home with a recipe and using Sweet Baby Rays as a base and it was killer, a bit tangy but not hot (not a fan of hot) and tasted nothing like sweet baby rays (which isn't bad necessarily).

I grew up eating vinegar based sauces mostly on pulled pork and it took me a while to get used to eating sweet bbq sauce. Baby Ray's is one of my favorites but I'll try just about any. I currently make 2 different sauces of my own. One is a chipotle peppercorn sauce I use on brisket for the most part and another is a cranberry garlic I'll use on pork and chicken. I've also used a bunch of different rubs. I have my current rub that I won't tell and a close 2nd is a place out of Texas called Rudy's. I just tried a new rub on the last brisket from Meat Church out of texas.....thought it sucked. Way too much pepper in it. I'm going to give it a 2nd try through and just use it sparingly on the meat. Wondering if I just had too much on there because my current rub you basically coat liberally on there. I'll try it again though and see. Probably on a beef roast or beef ribs though because I'm not dedicating an entire brisket to an experiment again. :D

I make my own BBQ sauce. The recipe changes based on how I'm feeling/what meat it's going on/what season it is, but theres some ingredients I love to use beyond your basic molasses/brown sugar/worcestershire/cider vinegar/garlic/oil/tomato base.

For winter, I like to put in a bit of coffee. I usually use a really dark roast so it's less acidic and doesn't change the balance of the sauce much, just enough to give it that ultra dark flavor. It should be just enough coffee that you can taste the sort of heavy smokiness too it, but not so much that you think you're drinking coffee sauce.

Another thing I like to throw in for smoky/spicy notes is hot hungarian paprika. Goes really well with a summer plate of pork ribs and mixes really nicely with honey if you prefer using that to brown sugar/molasses.

For a less sweet sauce I'll go for something with lots of adobo spice, throw a few of those chipotle peppers in there, maybe a bit of steak sauce, some chopped onions, and a bit less ketchup, and instead use a little bit of tomato paste. This style goes REALLY well with brisket and beef ribs.