Cheby Volt questions; trim packages, CPO worth it?

Trouble Maker

Looking an Volt's for the wife.

What do you think of them, in general?

It looks like in 13-15 there was a 'Comfort' package that had heated cloth seats. I've been able to find a whole 1 in a 100 mile radius. And I could only find that by looking through pictures, a real PITA. Did no one order this package and most were base or just went for the leather seats? Might just go with a loaded one since they are easy to find and just a bit more in price, even though we would prefer cloth seats.

Any thoughts on GMs CPO program? The certified ones don't seem to be too much if any more than non-certified ones. Seems like a no-brainer for maybe a few hundred bucks?

Cloth and heated is rare 4 of the 80 we have with heated seats are cloth the rest are leather

Where's that? Didn't see any in the greater Columbus area on Autotrader. Started to dig on individual Chevy dealerships in the area sites and got frustrated and quit after a few. :lolguy:

I've heard almost without fault from people that have them: Volt's are great cars.

^^ this. Our neighbor has one and loves it. They moved from Ft. Wayne, IN and the husband still works there and commutes every week until his transfer is completed. It's a PIA for him but he said the car is Comfy, and returns stellar mileage and hasn't given him any issues.

My father had two of them. He got one of the first ones when they came out (his wait list position was 7), and was a big advocate for them for a long time. There is a thread where I went into some detail about his thoughts and my own when BigOxley was looking at them, but I will summarize my thoughts here:

- Lifestyle: You need to have a certain set of use parameters for the car. You need to be able to charge it nightly and it's probably best if most of your driving is within the battery range to get the full use. It is preferable to be able to charge it at work as well. He had a 13 mile commute every day from his home to work, and could charge at either end. As a result he rarely if ever put gasoline in the thing (I think it 2 years of lease he filled the car less than 10 times). When his lease expired he tried to get me to buy his car and I couldn't do it at the time because I lived in an apartment which made nightly charging sporadic and kind of a hassle. his second volt he took on a few trips so he put gas in it more frequently, but not so much more as to affect it.

- leasing vs buying: since you get the incentives either way, my father was a big fan of leasing it. his previous car had been a 1999 chevy surburban and the discount in fuel costs and insurance discount alone completely offset the lease payment (so it was like having a free use of a car). The technology moves so fast in the EV space that by the time the lease is up the next major improvements have been made and you just get the next car. You need to look at the whole of your transportation costs and see what makes sense for you, but most of the people I know with volts or leafs lease.

- Quality: the first car he had was fully loaded and even had special order cyber gray paint (which really was a great looking paint). The second he had was a black on black volt with cloth and the comfort group you mentioned. I drove both many times and I can tell you - Chevy engineered a lot of stuff on that car to save weight, and as a result the interior can be cheap feeling sometimes. The fully loaded car felt like a more quality car than the cloth interior car. It was just a nicer feeling place to be. sit in both and see how it feels to you since this is all subjective.

- Reliability: My father had 0 issues with either car he owned. While not high mileage he lives on Long Island and worked in NYC so it wasn't like these cars were babied. The second one he got rid of early because my mother had an accident with the car where she hit a curb at 45 mph and the ins company totaled the car out. The only thing I can say about this is pretty much every accident with the car is a total. If you bend the frame there is no guarantee of further accident protection of the battery so they tend to total them out if it happens. He has three friends that he convinced to buy them and all of them are now nearing 100K on their cars. As far as he knows only one of them had an issue with the car that required a tow and it turned out to be minor.

Chevy really put it's best foot forward to build a car that competes with the prius and in my opinion is a better car in every way, including looks. Good luck finding one.

Get it with leather and heated seats. They are good cars, but long highway trips are better in a Cruze. I had a few small problems, but covered under warranty. You must get a Level 2 charger for your home to get the most out of it.

Cars off of 3/36 leases are in the 13-15k range. Not sure why you would need to save a couple bucks with cloth.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Get it with leather and heated seats. They are good cars, but long highway trips are better in a Cruze. I had a few small problems, but covered under warranty. You must get a Level 2 charger for your home to get the most out of it.

Cars off of 3/36 leases are in the 13-15k range. Not sure why you would need to save a couple bucks with cloth.

We are getting a new Civic (2 door EX 1.5Turbo) soon, if it's everything it's cracked up to be, I imagine use that for any 'longer' trips. This will be primarily a commuter for my wife and our 'city car'. Her drive to work is only 11 miles one way. So I expect a majority of our use in it will be electric.

We have a house with a garage and a reasonable amount of power running to it.... currently 3-15 amp circuits, might be able to look at the lines and 'turn' one of them into a 20 amp. We will be building a new garage in a few years and run a sub-panel out there. We would do a Level 2 charger then.

I would prefer cloth, ignoring cost. Not doing it to try to save money, neither of us like how hot leather get's in the summer. We don't have animals or kids, so the durability/ease of cleaning leather isn't as big of a deal.

My wife's commute was about 9 miles one way and we only used gas in the winter time, however, if you fully deplete the battery there's a chance that it won't be fully charged by the next morning on 110V.

On the weekends we did many short trips and the 220V really helped us get the most out of it. Run an errand, plug it in, and it's fully charged 2 hours later when you go again. With a 110V you won't get much.

A friend of mine works for Honda now and says you have a pretty good lease program. Good luck with the new Civic.

Looking forward to the Bolt. So is the "did-the-actual-work" Steve:

https://electrek.co/2016/09/07/apple-co-founder-steve-wozniak-says-trading-tesla-model-s-chevy-bolt-ev/

http://fortune.com/2016/09/08/steve-wozniak-chevy-bolt/

http://jalopnik.com/apple-co-founder-steve-wozniak-is-talking-about-trading-1786328338

And the Tesla fanbois go on attack overload

The comments sections are priceless, comedy gold

Looking forward to the Bolt. So is the "did-the-actual-work" Steve:

https://electrek.co/2016/09/07/apple-co-founder-steve-wozniak-says-trading-tesla-model-s-chevy-bolt-ev/

http://fortune.com/2016/09/08/steve-wozniak-chevy-bolt/

http://jalopnik.com/apple-co-founder-steve-wozniak-is-talking-about-trading-1786328338

And the Tesla fanbois go on attack overload

The comments sections are priceless, comedy gold

Honestly, if you're looking forward to the Bolt, there's no reason you shouldn't have been looking at the Spark EV, 500e, etc. I've seen a few Bolts on the road and they are really narrow, but tall so the interior space should be decent.