Factory headunit BYPASS for aux/bluetooth

zeitgeist57

The factory chrome-faced Chrysler headunit in my 1985 LeBaron convertible has power going to it, but the digital face is gobbledy-gook and I can't make it play anything. I've been searching car-parts.com, eBay, Amazon...for a replacement. My search through Crutchfield netted the same cheap-o headunits that every Craigslist-special and work-truck have.

Has anyone had a good experience with some sort of "hidden" radio interface that is possibly installed into the factory wiring harness, and allows Pandora/Spotify(from a smartphone) interface through the car? I like the idea of already building that into the car without affecting the factory dash appearance - chances are another Chrysler unit from that era (there are a couple at junkyards in Toledo) will probably be broken as well.

I'm happy to do nothing, as my plan is to flip this in the next 6 months. However, if I can show a working stereo interface, that would help. Thanks!

There is a gta 4 or something like that. I wish I'd have ordered it but wanted something same day. Columbus car audio has one or two options, I went with what they had. Plua right in to factory head unit, run aux input somewhere in the car. Run aux cord to the phone. Mine works great, easy to install, it doesn't have blutooth. The gta model does.

This is really cool, i had no idea units like this even existed. I've been thinking about getting an aftermarket head unit in my truck but didn't think it would look that good.

Wonder if they would charge a phone even when the car is off? That's the ONLY thing i miss about my old car.

If it's a DIN 1.5 faceplate, you can install just about any Mopar headunit up until the mid '00s. Not the best looking things, but if they have the external CD changer you can adaptor through that. The Infinity units pop up on http://www.turbododge.com from time to time, and sound pretty good.

If it is a two-shaft, there was a company that would rework modern chassis to work with them...Vintage Audio, I think.