Outdoor HD Antennas

Sully

I've been doing research on the hd antennas. I didn't realize there were so many options. Directional, Omni-directional, powered, etc. So, what do you use, recommend, any suggestions on installation, etc?

I am in Canal, but not in a housing development. I am surrounded by farm land. Ranch style house. A few tall trees, but not a forest. I was thinking about a long range Omni-directional, but read that those can pick up a lot of interference, which may result in a not so good picture.

Since I currently have DirecTV, which I am working on cancelling, I was thinking I could use that post to mount the HD antenna on. Would that work?

Do all of these antennas have to be plugged into power? How does that work? I don't have an outlet outside for one. I can't really find any info on the power piece.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I've been doing research on the hd antennas. I didn't realize there were so many options. Directional, Omni-directional, powered, etc. So, what do you use, recommend, any suggestions on installation, etc?

I am in Canal, but not in a housing development. I am surrounded by farm land. Ranch style house. A few tall trees, but not a forest. I was thinking about a long range Omni-directional, but read that those can pick up a lot of interference, which may result in a not so good picture.

Since I currently have DirecTV, which I am working on cancelling, I was thinking I could use that post to mount the HD antenna on. Would that work?

Do all of these antennas have to be plugged into power? How does that work? I don't have an outlet outside for one. I can't really find any info on the power piece.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

On the power piece,

From my experience... there is a single coax cable that runs from the antenna into your home. You then plug the coax into this box that should be included which has a power plug and output jack. Then you run a coax form the box to your tv. That box serves as a controller (if its motorized) and an amplifier. somehow they run a control wire through the coax.

I had a cheapo from microcenter that worked like this. Dunno where you live, but a simple flat window antenna might work just as well.

Antennaweb.org will help you decide what style antenna you need and what direction to point it.

Entered my addy and here are the results:

A Small Multidirectional Antenna is recommended to receive this station. Look for the CTA-certified Yellow mark on the antenna's box.

So, I need an Omni-directional then, correct?

yes, Omni-Directional is what you want

Actually, after a lot more reading last night, multi-directional and Omni-directional not the same thing. Either way, I ended up ordering this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EPP5ZSS/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I won't be able to install it until this weekend, but I'll update once it's done.

Maybe it's because I'm inside of 270, but we have HD rabbit ears in our living room behind the flatscreen and it picks up OSU games just fine.

Hell i was picking up channel 6 w/o issues up in marion with rabbit ears sitting behind the TV. I had a cheapo amplifier helping.

Mounted this

https://www.amazon.com/RCA-Durable-Compact-Outdoor-Antenna/dp/B0024R4B5C/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1474324856&sr=8-6&keywords=antenna

on my Directv dish that i dont use...used old cables, and its been working flawless. I live up by Alum Creek Lake

I have hte exact same antenna

Very happy with it.. We are in the burbs and get good signal from it.

I have hte exact same antenna

How many channels do you get with it? i have the cheapo $6 amazon one, and i get 4/6/10/28/34 fine, but i can't get 53 at all. might upgrade if i can get channel 53

I have hte exact same antenna<br />

<br />

<br />

How many channels do you get with it? i have the cheapo $6 amazon one, and i get 4/6/10/28/34 fine, but i can't get 53 at all. might upgrade if i can get channel 53

I have tge same one and pick up 27 channels including 53 and im outside of 270

Interesting read here. I've had two HD rabbit ears for a couple years and they are very limited on local channels, maybe 6-8 of them. Keep us posted. I'm going to check out that site Brian linked too.

Looking into this more, what are you guys seeing for lose of viewing quality, channels or anything else, over distance in cable? I'm looking at 150' of coax from antenna to TV, if I mount outside. I have two bails of coax, so I'm not going to run out, but I question loss of transferred info in that long of a cable.

Edited by Mojoe

I have hte exact same antenna<br />

<br />

<br />

I have tge same one and pick up 27 channels including 53 and im outside of 270

I'm out near Slate Run Metro park and I pick up

4/6/10/28/34/51/53. My antenna is sitting top of a bookshelf. I have to rotate it about 45* to get 6/34 to come in clear vs the others

For testing purposes, I rigged a short post for the antenna and zip tied it to my directv dish post. I don't want to remove the dish until i'm 100% certain i'm going this route. as of now, the antenna is about 15' in the air, about level with the peak of my roof line. I am getting approximately 40 channels. I get all the local channels, plus some Hispanic, hindu or something, and a bunch of other crap I'll never watch. Thursday night football last night was crystal clear. I think the picture was better than DirecTV. Once I decide to remove the dish, I'll get a taller post and mount it to the dish post, which will put the antenna approximately 10' higher than it is now, for a total of about 25' in the air. Between this and kodi on amazon fire stick, and Netflix, I should be all set... EXCEPT FOR BTN, which is really starting to piss me off. I NEED TO GET BTN!!

Interesting read here. I've had two HD rabbit ears for a couple years and they are very limited on local channels, maybe 6-8 of them. Keep us posted. I'm going to check out that site Brian linked too.

Looking into this more, what are you guys seeing for lose of viewing quality, channels or anything else, over distance in cable? I'm looking at 150' of coax from antenna to TV, if I mount outside. I have two bails of coax, so I'm not going to run out, but I question loss of transferred info in that long of a cable.

I have around 50-75 between antenna - tv. Signal is great on all but PBS. I dont know if they turned there antenna or what, but we got it great for a while then all of a sudden its like POOP all the time.