Climbing Adventure

Radio Flyer1647545514

Someone said they'd be interested if I started a thread on the adventure I'm about to take so I guess I'll get it going since I'm about 10 days away from leaving. I'll be taking my English Hound with me or as most people know them, my red tick coonhound.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=979&pictureid=8583

First thing was first to find a vehicle to live in. Most of the places I'll be visiting have established campgrounds climbers and like minded folks stay at so I'll normally have some sort of roof over my head for cooking, access to showers and running water to clean dishes. I was thinking about getting a van but since they're more difficult to work on than I can handle, I went with a 2006 Tundra that I found in Oklahoma. Went and picked it up and drove it home.

I planned on only needing to spend about 500 on some preventative maintenance with the timing belt, water pump, new brakes and changing all fluids. Got the truck on the lift to find I needed two new struts, sway bar bushings and steering rack bushings so I had to put about 3x my expected amount into it. Everything is all fixed up and I've got some nice Bilstein struts on it now. I also picked up an AGM battery so I could charge my electronics without worrying about killing my battery. I sold my Corolla to a friend and got a little less than I expected on it.

Next was to look for a used cap. After a few months of searching for one with all the options I wanted (180 or 122 cap for extra head room, Windoor slider windows and a removable front window) I decided to bite the bullet and buy new. I originally ordered a 122 but they don't make them for my truck year anymore so I went with a Leer 180. I wanted access to the truck from outside of the bed so I'm not crawling in and out if I need something near the cab side of the bed. I wanted to be able to get as much air in there as possible in the warmer time of the year for my dog as well. This ate into my funds quite a bit more than expected so I fell behind on my planned budget by about 4k after the issues with the truck when I first got it home, selling my car for less than expected and then the cost of the cap. Oh well, it is what it is so I'm just putting in extra overtime at work until I leave to catch up as much as possible.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=979&pictureid=8584

Next is to get my bed built out to store all my gear. I decided to buy a BedRug full liner to make this thing feel a little more homey. I found an open box unused rug on Amazon for a good price and decided to jump on it. It came in fast and I installed it same day. I already had LineX on it so I ran to NAPA and got some adhesive promoter to help the Bed Rug stick to the LineX. Wiped the bed with Isopropyl, added adhesive promoter to the areas the 3M hook and loop fasteners go and put it in. Final result makes it feel a little more comfortable and should add some insulation and keep moisture under control a little bit.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=979&pictureid=8580

Now that I have carpet all around the bed it's time to build my platform for storage and sleeping. After a lot of thinking on the best way to arrange my bed I settled on a set up. Keep in mind I have no experience working with wood so I didn't get too crazy with this build. I wanted a main section down the center I could sleep in if I wanted and wanted storage over the wheel wells. I bought some 2"x12"x8' to run past the wheel wells 16" from the side of the bed on both sides. I took another 2"x12"x8' and cut them up to break the sides into 3 different sections. I got some outdoor carpet and wrapped all of this wood in it to make it look and feel a little more nice. End product for the frame looks as such.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=979&pictureid=8581

I have three sections to separate my gear on either side now and a big channel for storage and sleeping in the center, now to get the wood on top of it so I have a bigger place to sleep when I'm banging horny mountain bitches. Originally I was going to carpet the top wood as well but my buddies neighbor had a bunch walnut cabinet wood he had from a job he did and said I could have it for a 6 pack of Bud. I returned the sheet of plywood I bought, grabbed him two 18 packs and traded him. I figured he'd let me use his table saw for the extra beer.

I have two boards covering the center channel, and two boards covering each section of storage over the wheel wells. No hinges, everything just fits tight. The idea behind this is I can sit over the wheel wells, remove a board and have a place to sit and put my feet to cook or read or whatever. I also now have the option to sit in the center channel with one board removed and pull the other board over my legs and use it as a desk or whatever. I'm trying to have everything multi purpose so I can also use some of these boards as tables outside of the truck if needed. I figure I'll throw an outdoor rug on top of this instead of wrapping everything in carpet.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=979&pictureid=8582

Finished product looks pretty good in my opinion and I think I have plenty of room for storage inside. I still need to drill a hole in each wood panel so I can lift them a little more easy but that won't take long. I'm just trying to get rid of all of my belongings before I leave now.

So far I'm leaving with about 4 or 5 thousand dollars less than expected after I got everything built and supplies bought. I have a guy that really wants me to work on his tree crew so I may come back for a little to get some experience in this line of work so I can pick up jobs when I get out on the road again.

I'll try to update this again before I leave and while I'm on the road. I'm going to Red River Gorge, KY for the first month and then am going to Obed, TN. After that I have no plans and I guess I'll see where the people I've met take me next.

Really cool. Looking forward to updates as you hit the road. Thought about a ramp for the dog to get in and out?

He's still young so he should be fine on his own if not I'll do the work.

Pretty sweet lil setup. What are you planning to use as a mattress?

I have a 4 inch maravia pad and 3 zlite pads under it. I also have my.climbing crash pad.

• 5 weeks later...

So I'm about two weeks into my trip so far and the only major desire I have is a fridge vs my cooler. Being outside everyday is the best thing ever and I I'm already looking for ways to make this permanent. I've achieved my hardest climbs so far already and I haven't even come close to my final level of fitness. I also got the pleasure of meeting a 60 year old former pro and his wife who is the strongest female climber over 40 in all of North America. I don't think they know I know who they are and I don't want to let them know and overwhelm them. My dog is probably having a better time than me as well.

I took a trip into Lexington the other day and the city was quite overwhelming but I stopped for tacos at Local Taco during happy hour. I recommend this place if you're ever near UK.

A few pictures of a climb from the other day, some dirt bag dairy queen and my dog sleeping on the way to Lexington.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=979&pictureid=8590

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=979&pictureid=8591

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=979&pictureid=8592