Detroit: Is it that bad?

acklac7

I don't have any really usefull info as I've only visited it a couple times in the last few years, but I look at Detroit like this: Where most cities have their good and bad areas, Detroit just takes everything down. In some areas that is down quite a bit. Burnt out buildings, boarded up places, and just all out disrepair is the very common sights driving through. Much of the city is dead. Drive into the suburbs and there are places similar, and places still kicking and not so bad. In my opinion it would be very hard to know where to go or what to do without living there.

This thread reminded me of this story.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/jokes/budweiser-tail-gunner/80537314/

This happened on a flight getting ready to

depart for Detroit.

Jack was sitting on the plane when a guy

took the seat beside him. The guy was an

emotional wreck, pale, hands shaking,

moaning in fear.

"What's the matter?" Jack asked.

"I've been transferred to Detroit, there's

crazy people there. They've got lots of

shootings, gangs, race riots, drugs,

poor public schools, and the highest

crime rate."

Jack replied, "I've lived in Detroit all my life.

It's not as bad as the media says. Find a

nice home, go to work, mind your own

business, enroll your kids in a nice private

school.

It's as safe a place as anywhere in the world."

The guy relaxed and stopped shaking and said,

"Oh, thank you. I've been worried to death.

But if you live there and say it's OK, I'll take your

word for it. What do you do for a living?"

"Me?" said Jack. "I'm a tail gunner on a Budweiser truck."

What part of "Detroit?" There are plenty of nice places to live in the area. Hell, Oakland Co is the 24th richest county in the nation.

I work in Auburn Hills (Chrysler HQ) and have lived in Rochester Hills, Macomb Twp, Washington Twp, and Shelby Twp (all NE side) but have friends all over.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

After being here in Michigan and driving around fuck these "Michigan left turn" bullshit. Why is it so hard to make a left hand turn from an intersection.

:confused::confused: THat's the best part up there. Shit ton of cars but left turns don't back shit up like they do in Columbus. Roads have much greater capacity than here. Rush hour is crazy but upside is when they flow, traffic doesn't go slow. Drivers know how the go-pedal works. Downside is that for the 25+ years I've covered that as part of my work geography, this is by far the worst I've ever seen the roads. I litterally won't go back with my own car until that's fixed. Will rent one from now on. I parked mine and had my rep drive me around.

Like many others said, the burbs are for the most part fine. Housing is fairly cheap too. you can buy more in many areas for the same dollar as you can here.

Save