Detroit: Is it that bad?

acklac7

Detroit really is not that bad. There are areas I truly would not go, just like in Columbus. But like someone else said, they hit rock bottom, so the only place to go is up. Just be smart about where you go.

I supported an office in Troy (about 25 minutes north of Detroit...think Westerville type) and it was a beautiful city.

I'll never forget: I got off at Big Beaver Road, Exit 69.

:confused::confused: THat's the best part up there. Shit ton of cars but left turns don't back shit up like they do in Columbus. Roads have much greater capacity than here. Rush hour is crazy but upside is when they flow, traffic doesn't go slow. Drivers know how the go-pedal works. Downside is that for the 25+ years I've covered that as part of my work geography, this is by far the worst I've ever seen the roads. I litterally won't go back with my own car until that's fixed. Will rent one from now on. I parked mine and had my rep drive me around.

Like many others said, the burbs are for the most part fine. Housing is fairly cheap too. you can buy more in many areas for the same dollar as you can here.

Save

Also depends on where you are. Luckily, my commute is pretty smooth, but I75 just started a 7 year widening/repaving project through Troy. It's a disaster right now.

Housing really isn't any cheaper up here, unless you want to live in the hood. If you head far enough north you can get a decent chunk of land though.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Detroit is an awesome city. Like any other big city in America it has some ugly, and obviously the ugly is sprawling and on a bigger scale than most, but the culture and scenery is unmatched by OH. If it weren't for the rough economy I'd still be there. Lived in Cbus for 8 years now, but I still go home quite a bit. Detroit is an awesome city and anyone who says different didn't leave their hotel room.

I vacation in Detroit twice a year, for the Auto Show and also a music festival at the end of May. Tons of great options for food, incredible music culture, access to plenty of sports/entertainment, within an easy drive of some gorgeous natural beauty. You also have some incredible skyline thanks to the building put up during the boom years.

Are there places to stay out of? Sure. Just like in any big city. But the vast majority I will freely walk alone in at night without having to worry about being shot/stabbed/raped/pillaged. Property values are still pretty depressed in most areas so you can get a pretty decent value for money. The Troy area is covered in corporate/office buildings and the roads are built to handle the traffic. Oh, and they have a Twin Peaks.. if you are into that kind of thing ;)

The roads, SUCK. They use I believe more salt than any state in the country and compound that with city services being nearly bankrupt for quite a while you can end up with some very nasty surfaces.

Was there 10 or so years ago for a Battle of the Bands at the Majestic Theater. On our way out, there was a man beating the ever loving shit out of a woman in the median of the road.

Went there earlier this year for a concert at the Majestic Theater. Area is MUCH nicer, no hoodrats, didn't think twice about walking around with my fiancée or leaving our car parked outside. Was not shot, was not murdered.

My guess is it's probably a lot like my impression of the Indianapolis area; sure there are many parts that you literally should not visit if you're white, but there are really nice areas in the metro area and the suburbs are quite nice.

I'll say one thing that truly surprised me while in Michigan. I was downtown Detroit for five days and then drove to Grand Rapids and then Ann Arbor. I didn't see one Hillary bumper sticker or yard sign. Nobody spoke of her but hotel staff and quite a few union workers were all for Trump. Also every yard sign I saw was trump/pence. I thought that was shocking.

They're up in the D right now, looking at propertah on the South Side....is that bad?

South Side seems to be shit no matter what City, in my experience at least?

Boston's kinda funny; there's Southie which everyone knows from The Depahhhhted, but there's also the South End which is just west of Southie and where millionaires live.

They're up in the D right now, looking at propertah on the South Side....is that bad?

South Side seems to be shit no matter what City, in my experience at least?

Like downriver, or Flat Rock? Personally, I wouldn't want to live on the south side of Detroit, since it's more industrial, more pollution, not as nice IMHO. But I don't know what decent pockets exist.

What part of Detroit is she going to be working? Downtown? Suburbs?

Like downriver, or Flat Rock? Personally, I wouldn't want to live on the south side of Detroit, since it's more industrial, more pollution, not as nice IMHO. But I don't know what decent pockets exist.

What part of Detroit is she going to be working? Downtown? Suburbs?

I believe shes working on the South side of downtown.

Also, I think they want to buy property there because its Closer to Columbus.

I believe shes working on the South side of downtown.

Also, I think they want to buy property there because its Closer to Columbus.

Not knowing exactly what area she's working in, if it were me I would be looking around I275 and I94, like Plymouth, Northville, Canton, etc.

From that area you could get to the city on I94, or shoot down 275 to Ohio.

I was up there over the weekend. My wife had training and I had vaca time to spend or lose it. So, we made it a long weekend. We went to a really cool place called Mudgies for brunch the first day. It is downtown and in a bleak area by the bus station. But the food was creative and the place has an awesome vibe, locally-sourced products. We drove around downtown. The business areas seem a little better than the last time I was there. (say 2000). Major blight surrounds it, of course. Street after street of nature taking back over blocks and houses. Kinda awe-inspiring in a way. We drove up Jefferson. The switch-over to Grosse Point Shores is more pronounced than I remember. Nautical Mile has some up and coming spots. We hit a coffee shop/greek food joint that was worth the stop. We passed on a car/boat show/concert mini-festival we had read about called Bootleggers because it was all indoors in a big warehouse and it was beautiful out. Plus it was $40 at the door. So we decided to find a hotel then go out. We ended up in Birmingham...which, by the way, is the big money suburb. Lots of awesome shopping and local food joints. Well, that and more exotic and luxury cars than 10 New Albany's. Holy crap. Anyway...HIE there was a decent hotel and we ran every day around the neighborhood right there...very pleasant. Ate at a place called Toast that was very good. Had a late dinner at Market North End...which is beyond good. Great food...super cool atmosphere. Definitely recommend. Birmingham has a town center with lots of walkable streets and very high-end shopping. Like a larger and real Easton. Wandered up and down Woodward. Visited Plymouth...it's OK...think BIG version of downtown Worthington. Too many old people though. Blue hair city for some reason. Spent a little time exploring a very large section of town with a middle-eastern ethic slant north of the airport. I wasn't brave enough to try a food joint there but I should have. I did the Rouge tour. I've done The Henry Ford before and want to again but with the kids. Let's see...I headed out one day to find British Only...which is a brit-bike parts place...just to stop in and check it out since I order parts from them on occasion. But I got distracted. Oh...and Detroit is the city of the U-turn. WTF people? I guess that comes with the territory when every other road is a boulevard. :)

Almost forgot...went to Ypsilanti...think Delaware without any newer development. Went to Cultivate Coffee and Tap House...coffee shop with a wall of taps and a huge beer garden. Would be an ideal cruise destination or meet-up spot if people were headed to the area as a group. So, file that one away.

I have eaten at Mudgies and it was decent, but surrounded by blight, like most pockets in Detroit. It's getting better, but you have to realize that Boston, San Francisco, and Manhattan would all fit inside Detroit city limits (139 Sq miles) with room to spare, yet Detroit only has about 850k people.

Birmingham is high dollar. Nice place to visit, to expensive to live. Lots of people down there have a sense of entitlement and are rude to others.

Northville and Plymouth are quieter places to live, more affordable. Nice suburbs with lots of park space and small downtown areas.

Dearborn has the largest middle eastern population in the US. If you strayed north to Southfield you would run into a pocket of orthodox Jews.

I'll say one thing that truly surprised me while in Michigan. I was downtown Detroit for five days and then drove to Grand Rapids and then Ann Arbor. I didn't see one Hillary bumper sticker or yard sign. Nobody spoke of her but hotel staff and quite a few union workers were all for Trump. Also every yard sign I saw was trump/pence. I thought that was shocking.

They are just the most vocal.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/exclusive-poll-democrat-hillary-clinton-opens-up-double-digit-michigan-lead-on-gops-donald-trump

• 1 month later...

They ended up buying a Place on Grosse Ile Island. Sounds bad-ass. (I'm a big outdoorsman). Not looking forward to paying $3 to get on/off the Island when I go to visit though.

All-in-all Detroit sounds pretty sweet so far. Tons of cool cars.