Looking at V-Rod's and M109R's....thoughts?

Bam

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about getting back into riding and was going to keep my eyes open for a good deal with the weather changing. I like the styling of the HD Vrod/Nightrod and the Suzuki Boulevard M109R. Basically I want a sport looking cruiser that's comfortable to ride. I've never been on either of these bikes however, just going based on looks. I'm also trying to stay around $5k as I don't feel the need to spend more or have a payment on a toy that won't get ridden as much as I'd like.

Any input is appreciated, from mechanical to ride quality, etc. OR recommend me something else.... Based on a quick search I'm looking at early-mid 2000 models with 10-20k miles.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm 5' 10" and 265. I'll keep that in mind, thanks for the input. A friend told me about the Stryker's and Raider's and they look cool and seemed to priced good so I've started looking at those too.

I'm 5' 10" and 265. I'll keep that in mind, thanks for the input. A friend told me about the Stryker's and Raider's and they look cool and seemed to priced good so I've started looking at those too.

Funny you mention that, my buddy works at Pony Powersports and told me to come see a Vrod he had. When I sat on it and looked stupid (6'3" 300) he took me over to the Strykers and Raiders too. Basically they're just Yamaha attempts at being HD.

They don't seem like a bad value proposition if you don't mind getting sneers from HD guys (I don't) and prefer super low maintenance and high reliability compared to HD.

I was at iron pony today. They had an all black 2014 cb1100 with 450 miles on it for $8999. I would buy that all day long rather than the pig irons you mentioned. It's a real motorcycle that you can use to do anything with. Finance it if you have to.

Vrod was novel when it came out but compared to the VR1000 racer that spawned it, the bike was a disappointment. They ride ok, are cramped for taller riders, and are just a disappointment. Honestly I would rather have a sportster than one, because at least they are light and make the right noises.

everytime I hear about an M109r the think about helping out a stranger who broke down on the side of the Long Island expressway when the gearbox ate itself. They are massive and torquey but I would rather have a Kawasaki mean streak because lighter and more fun to ride.

The real bargain bike if you just want a great sounding, great riding power cruiser? Mid to late 1990's magna. Uses the v-four engine out of the interceptor, sounds great, punchy mid range power for days, cruises nice. Looks...well...aside from the 90's billet salad shooter wheels you get stuck with its a handsome bike, esp in black with yellow hot rod scallops.

http://dayton.craigslist.org/mcd/5815473641.html

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/mcy/5812565354.html

If you are looking to stand out at bike night how about a guzzi? I loved my guzzi lemans. The 2007 California models were let last of the big block tonti framed guzzis - the same chassis that was raced at Daytona in the 1980's underpins this cruiser. Plus they were cop bikes which is why they are called California:

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/5772892841.html

If you go with the M109, I think it was the early years 07-09 that had the major trans issues so I would only consider those if the trans has been undercut or you have it in the budget to. 2011 they redesigned the trans to supposedly correct the issues.

Define comfortable! LOL If we're talking city riding, check out the Busa or ZX14 (they can be modified to be better suited for long distance riding). How could I forget the bking for the cruiser ride but sporty fill.

Edited by yesitsdon
forgot

these are the type of bike I'm interested in.

It's always a good idea to approach the motorcycle question from the perspective of how you are going to get the most use out of it. Cars are usually more flexible about this: you can take something like a 4th gen z28 and make a road racer, or a drag racer, or put it on 24" wheels and put a sound system in it and it's all the same basic platform. But with a bike it's hard to make a sport bike a cruiser and vice versa.

the two bikes mentioned here are what I call parking lot bikes. They are highly stylized cruisers that you ride to shows, and ride around for errands, but don't generally take long trips on and would require a decent expense to refit for luggage to tour with. curb appeal seems to be the driving factor.

to that end I would also add the VT1300cx Honda Fury.

It's always a good idea to approach the motorcycle question from the perspective of how you are going to get the most use out of it. Cars are usually more flexible about this: you can take something like a 4th gen z28 and make a road racer, or a drag racer, or put it on 24" wheels and put a sound system in it and it's all the same basic platform. But with a bike it's hard to make a sport bike a cruiser and vice versa.

the two bikes mentioned here are what I call parking lot bikes. They are highly stylized cruisers that you ride to shows, and ride around for errands, but don't generally take long trips on and would require a decent expense to refit for luggage to tour with. curb appeal seems to be the driving factor.

to that end I would also add the VT1300cx Honda Fury.

Yeah, a bike to me is just that, a toy. I am not the type of person who really wants to ride for more then a few hours so these seem to fit what I would want. Sport bikes are cool but uncomfortable for me to ride longer then 20 minutes on so I have no doubt that this style is for me.

I was at iron pony today. They had an all black 2014 cb1100 with 450 miles on it for $8999. I would buy that all day long rather than the pig irons you mentioned. It's a real motorcycle that you can use to do anything with. Finance it if you have to.

Vrod was novel when it came out but compared to the VR1000 racer that spawned it, the bike was a disappointment. They ride ok, are cramped for taller riders, and are just a disappointment. Honestly I would rather have a sportster than one, because at least they are light and make the right noises.

everytime I hear about an M109r the think about helping out a stranger who broke down on the side of the Long Island expressway when the gearbox ate itself. They are massive and torquey but I would rather have a Kawasaki mean streak because lighter and more fun to ride.

I'd like to add my thoughts on the Mean Streak. I own a 2002 Kawasaki Mean Streak (1500cc in this year)

Great bike for solo cruising, not so much for 2 up unless you're short peoples. Bought mine last year with 13k miles on it from my father and I've put 8,000 miles on it.

The stock seat could use some reworking and the drag bars tend to cause my shoulders/upper back to become uncomfortable after about 3 hours. Again, this is subjective since I have back problems but a small pair of risers and a reworked/upgraded seat could do wonders on this bike.

Upgrades/more ponies? Not a whole lot out there unless you're willing to fab and develop yourself. Thunder MFG has bore kits for the 1500/1600 vulcans (mean streak included) up to 100". With a bore kit and modifying the intake people are seeing ~115whp, if you're looking to turn it into a ~100hp+ the mean streak probably isn't the bike, people have also done turbo kits but none were ever mass produced.

Picture for reference, the blue bike is an 09 vulcan 900 and the gold one is my 02 mean streak

12715219_10156518982070006_8192505701055176335_n.jpg?oh=e32eb355e155cbd1c8afa86b6ebf54e3&oe=58AC5CA2

Yeah, a bike to me is just that, a toy. I am not the type of person who really wants to ride for more then a few hours so these seem to fit what I would want. Sport bikes are cool but uncomfortable for me to ride longer then 20 minutes on so I have no doubt that this style is for me.

+1 to this!!

Appreciate all the input, I like the looks of the gold bike better compared to the blue one.

Realistically it's not like I'm shopping for a corvette or porsche, I simply want something that I think looks cool and is fairly comfortable for an afternoon ride around with my wife on the back.

I'm not joining a MC gang, I'm not riding to Deals Gap, I'm not going to race this thing, I just want to feel the wind on my face and enjoy some cruising.