Audi A3 Performance? Chips, Down pipe, Etc

hpfiend

I was always on the GIAC side of the fence, but APR had some innovative products back in the day that would be worth a look this time around.

Honestly it's more about finding a shop locally that supports one of the brands in the event you need support vs. finding the one that makes the most power and has horrible customer support.

Apr for programming engine and dsg. Tc kline will handle it, kale on here works there.

Their exhaust and intake parts way over priced. Look elsewhere for those.

Let's hope it's an awd 2.0t.

Awd turbo tiptronic but don't know about engine size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went APR for the fact that they've been around a long while, have good support and huge network. GIAC may have bit more aggressive tunes on various platforms, but the local installer near me isn't my favorite. I had my Stage II Installed and flashed by Dubwerks in Cinci as I know them and they are very reputable.

Am I reading correctly that a stage one tune will give an extra 100 rwhp/ftlbs? 5500 for 552 hp stage 3 parts in an awd seemingly lightweight a3?? May be an ignorant question but why buy an s5 other than aesthetics?

Am I reading correctly that a stage one tune will give an extra 100 rwhp/ftlbs? 5500 for 552 hp stage 3 parts in an awd seemingly lightweight a3?? May be an ignorant question but why buy an s5 other than aesthetics?

The new 2.0 motor makes great power with a tune and supporting mods. The stage 3 kit is not that new, but people have started to install them on their Golf R's. TC Kline is in Columbus, I go to HS Tuning in Westlake and then DubWerx in Cincinnati. Those are your options for APR.

For the A3, similar to my GLI but slightly different Gen3 motor I would recommend some summer tires, springs or coilovers, ECU and TCU tune and the car will be a blast around town. I don't track it, but around town it is very quick. Eventually I will go stage 2 with the down pipe, but I'm very happy with it right now.

Edited by Versluis

IMO, the sweet spot of the VWs are full bolt ons with a stock turbo, NOT a big turbo kit. As Taylor mentioned, they really move out under 100mph, or "around town." Once you start wanting a 2 liter to do too much, such as make 500+hp, you'll end up with a laggy big power car that is somewhat boring to drive daily.

Intake, tune, downpipe is all I'd do to these cars engine wise. Brakes and suspension too, and you'll have a car that's a blast on back roads.

IMO, the sweet spot of the VWs are full bolt ons with a stock turbo, NOT a big turbo kit. As Taylor mentioned, they really move out under 100mph, or "around town." Once you start wanting a 2 liter to do too much, such as make 500+hp, you'll end up with a laggy big power car that is somewhat boring to drive daily.

Intake, tune, downpipe is all I'd do to these cars engine wise. Brakes and suspension too, and you'll have a car that's a blast on back roads.

+1

^ Wise...

Catless DP Filter/Intake & Tune = 99% of what you'll get out of the stock turbo. Every HP after that becomes incrementally more expensive and less fun.

This is what we have done to the wife's car. H&R Coilovers, neuspeed intake, full stainless exhaust from turbo to tail pipe, hawk pads. it's a 2wd 2.0T manual 2006. I think it also has 2000cc injectors in it also, and it had a tune on it when we bought it but it kept throwing a CEL so we flashed it back to stock.

Brakes are due soon and honestly the hawk pads have been fantastic so we are trying to figure out whether to just upgrade the rotors or go to larger calipers.

There are tons of little things like the dogbone sleeve that improve the driveability of the car without adding HP and I think those add more to the car than just more HP. A good suspension setup and alignment is the most important in my opinion.

The car is absolutely a ton of fun.

The 1.8T and 2.0T in the A3 are shared with VW in their models (most of them). GTI for the 2.0T, Jetta/Golf/Passat for the 1.8T among others.

The Jetta Sportwagen can be purchased with the 1.8T and AWD with DSG. NO 2.0T AWD DSG available from VW, except the Golf R, which is a 4 door hatch, and has a slightly different engine than the GTI (stronger internals, bigger turbo, etc). Golf R = S3.

The 1.8T and 2.0T in the A3 are shared with VW in their models (most of them). GTI for the 2.0T, Jetta/Golf/Passat for the 1.8T among others.

The Jetta Sportwagen can be purchased with the 1.8T and AWD with DSG. NO 2.0T AWD DSG available from VW, except the Golf R, which is a 4 door hatch, and has a slightly different engine than the GTI (stronger internals, bigger turbo, etc). Golf R = S3.

Thanks man- I was reading about the golf R sportwagen in europe as a poorman's AWD CTSV. I was casually/selfishly considering one of these myself after reading all of these replies for my buddy to replace the vette and subaru but doubt I would be content with it and would kick myself daily for buying another german car.

Thanks all- I will pass this along- Is there an Audi/vw wagon version with this engine/drivetrain? Where are u reading about this dogbone sleeve mod?

There was a guy that used to have a great blog detailing his a3 ownership. Covered everything from common mk5 problems to upgrades. I'll have to find it.

My brother had a GTI and a lot of the things we did to that car we did to my a3 when I bought it, it's basically the same platform.

The dogbone sleeve was more for a manual trans car. I could have replaced it with a poly bushing too but I rode in a friend's R32 with poly bushings and didn't like the ride at all (he once cracked a windshield in a pothole).

I think the closest platform to your drivetrain layout would be an Audi TT with the same drivetrain. I think the sub frames are different and I see where people swap for the TT subframe on the mk5 and mk6 platforms.

Thanks man- I was reading about the golf R sportwagen in europe as a poorman's AWD CTSV. I was casually/selfishly considering one of these myself after reading all of these replies for my buddy to replace the vette and subaru but doubt I would be content with it and would kick myself daily for buying another german car.

The Golf R is a great car, and the MK7 can be tuned into the 11s with simple bolt ons (intake, tune, downpipe and DSG software). They handle on par with an STI, with a bit more tendency to understeer at the limit because haldex AWD. For the majority of people wanting a sporty car, they'd be absolutely SHOCKED at how fast a Golf R can be on back roads if they actually drove one. And if you mod the DSG ones, you can get well into the 11s if you wanted.

Great do it all car. If I had enough money for a 40k daily, I'd have a MK7 R.

I think the sub frames are different and I see where people swap for the TT subframe on the mk5 and mk6 platforms.

The same, just aluminum. Assuming you're referencing the rear subframes.

The TT has better suspension geometry, not subframe related. It's all in the LCA and Knuckle design due to wider front end of the TT allowing for more camber (adjustable) aluminum arms and knuckle vs steel, and a knuckle that has a much better design for proper geometry.

If

U come across that blog please let me know. Thanks for the tip on the TT but I need a sporty awd wagon or large sedan not another sports car to haul kids.

Am also looking at 04-07 wrx wagons because I can do an 818 build down the road with the kids when they are older.

Thanks

I mentioned the TT for parts bin robbing and other tips, as Aaron pointed out people swap the rear sub frames because aluminum, can be found in junkyard and are lighter. I think places like ECS have swap kits for the control arms as well and other geometry parts.

I mentioned the TT for parts bin robbing and other tips, as Aaron pointed out people swap the rear sub frames because aluminum, can be found in junkyard and are lighter. I think places like ECS have swap kits for the control arms as well and other geometry parts.

Awesome, thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
If

U come across that blog please let me know.

took me a while but I found it. They guy sold the car so it hasn't been updated in a while. It's for an 8P model so 2006-2012 in the US. Covers basic maint and upgrades.

http://oooo-a3.blogspot.com/search/label/Upgrades