way cheaper than a Tesla...and better looking

Geeto67

Some Assembly Required, Batteries not Included:

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/5905297966.html

00v0v_cnWgEwC08n1_600x450.jpg

1970 Opel GT Customized front and rear and turned into a electric car . All gas related parts was removed and replaced with an electric tow motor motor and parts . The electric motor that is currently in it is a 8 inch about 38 HP or so, "electric HP and gas HP are different " the car has more power then it did with the gas engine in it ! I have a brand NEW 12 inch Reliance Super 'T' DC electric motor purchased new in 1979 and never used for the car . That motor has about 90 HP and should launch the car down the 1/4 mile in about 10 seconds ! Some assembly is required and batteries are not included .

I have seen a few ev conversions over the years, mostly in the beetle/porsche 914 platforms (and associated kit cars), but with the declining cost of battery technology we are probably going to see more conversions.

Personally I am not opposed to this - if the primary use of some classic cars is to basically go to cars and coffee and then sometimes go to get ice cream or dinner - all local driving - it actually makes sense if you just want a classic looking car without all the hassles of maintaining an obsolete powerplant you can't get parts for.

discuss.

Ls swap?

It's been done.

http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/yy236/Nori-Bilt/2010-09-29160847-1.jpg

I like motor sounds though

As do I but think about it for a second...if some classic cars don't get used more than say Golf carts, and this almost completely eliminates the operating cost of what is basically a an underutilized toy anyway, doesn't it have some merit? No more carb rebuilds because of forgetting a little gas in the bowls all winter, no more full fluid changes each season, just park in the corner on a battery tender and in spring unhook and drive to lennox.

It's not for performance cars where we actually enjoy driving them for hours - just for cars that are almost parade vehicles with how much they get used. Think Model T speedster but no 5hp flathead four to constantly pour oil and gas into.

I think the hardest part would be convincing classic car owners to be honest as to how little they use their cars.

well, looks are subjective and I generally don't like the way teslas look (the sedans and SUVs anyway). I have to agree, not going to be better....but will be a truck load of cash cheaper.

There is a company in California called EV West. Basically make full conversion kits for almost all aircooled vw and Porsche products, plus miatas, MR2s, and Factory five 818s.

http://www.evwest.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=40?osCsid=e0tv3o8qip2pupo37bndohu280

Again, Batteries not included.