Home-built carport project

zeitgeist57

So, I've been researching "temporary" garages, looking for a way to add some sort of rain/sun/snow shelters to cover 1-3 of my cars that are not in my 2-car garage. Also, this would be a spot to cover some of the kids' toys (cheap bikes, bigwheel, sports stuff) so I don't have to keep them in the garage, and easy access for the kids when they want to play without having to move vehicles.

I've looked at VersaTube, which seems like a well-engineered solution, but admittedly I don't need something that is 10+ feet high, as most of my "toys" are lowered to the ground. Plus, in case it hasn't been assumed, I'm trying for something as low-key so my neighbors won't get TOO pissed. No sense in telling CR my intentions without outlining limitations. ;)

The other natural go-to on the cheap side would be a 17'x10' garage for $180-$250 through Harbor Freight, but I don't want a tarp solution if I can avoid one for the cost. Plus, props to the other automotive guys I've seen on YouTube, buying a HF car shelter and having to pretty much DOUBLE the number of tubes just to halfway strengthen the frame!

I have a cold chopsaw, and a welder...let alone air tools and such...I realized this weekend WHY NOT TRY TO DO SOMETHING MYSELF?

Has anyone made their own carport? I'm thinking I can source steel from Stargate Metals in Grandview, and use composite/aluminum roofing panels....make a frame that's welded and bolted together, anchored to the driveway. Looking for experiences. Thanks!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it off to the side of the 2 car? like a driveway pad?

Edit: I see, attached to the driveway.

1. You are likely going to need to be stealthy about it....likely would need a permit for anything like that.

2. It would look less shitty made of wood maybe with a slightly sloped corrugated roof. Stronger too. Last thing you want to do is damage your cars or house with the thing. Could really damage your driveway too....wind uplift is no joke.

Kind of like so

f49156a0ca712f143a1c340fe860cdcc.jpg

It is VERY easy to build a lean- to.. I built a 21' long 12' wide lean to for my flat bed / firewood. My friend has a versatube building and it works great, for the price I would just buy it and set it up. His is open on the front and back and you can easily close it in and even install a garage door.

but living in the city, it is not just your neighbors you have to worry about its code enforcement. If you don't get the right permits you could end up wasting a lot of time and money.

but living in the city, it is not just your neighbors you have to worry about its code enforcement. If you don't get the right permits you could end up wasting a lot of time and money.

This. Step one is finding out what your local ordinances are about structures on your property and what permits you'll need. That will often dictate not only the size and shape, but what materials, and what costs you are willing to shoulder. Off the top of my head and not familiar with UA at all it's probably going to be the same process/ requirements as a garden shed.

+1 call the city and ask what you can do and what their definition of a permanent structure is. In Worthington I had to get a $50 permit and sibmit the instructions for my $300 metal 7x10 shed from sears. Then they had to inspect it. It was a PIA but didn't want to worry about having to take it down if a neighbor said something.

A building permit is required for any accessory structure that exceeds two hundred (200) square feet in area

also

No detached garage or carport shall be permitted nearer to any front lot line than sixty (60) feet

not sure how long your driveway is...60 is a lot.

So, thanks for the suggestions, guys. I tend to follow the Bill Clinton-led mantra of "Beg for forgiveness, instead of asking for permission" ;) but happy I called the City of UA.

Code and Building dude looked at my plot, and I told him I was looking at doing a 10x20' or so carport. He said that UA treats carports like detached garage structures, meaning cannot be within 3' of a property line, and max size is restricted by total square footage of property. He looked at an aerial map of my property and said I had plenty of room to add.

The Building permit would be $50, and the design/construction plans needed to contain dimensions and building materials, to be approved by the zoning board. He said they've seen a lot of carports come up for approval in the last couple of years. Materials aren't as big of a concern as the "detached garage" minimums, like a 7' opening and what walls/screens would be used.

Waiting for an email from then outlining the code minimums. Wifey OK'd the project. This should be a fun process!

So, thanks for the suggestions, guys. I tend to follow the Bill Clinton-led mantra of "Beg for forgiveness, instead of asking for permission" ;) but happy I called the City of UA.

Code and Building dude looked at my plot, and I told him I was looking at doing a 10x20' or so carport. He said that UA treats carports like detached garage structures, meaning cannot be within 3' of a property line, and max size is restricted by total square footage of property. He looked at an aerial map of my property and said I had plenty of room to add.

The Building permit would be $50, and the design/construction plans needed to contain dimensions and building materials, to be approved by the zoning board. He said they've seen a lot of carports come up for approval in the last couple of years. Materials aren't as big of a concern as the "detached garage" minimums, like a 7' opening and what walls/screens would be used.

Waiting for an email from then outlining the code minimums. Wifey OK'd the project. This should be a fun process!

Just gonna say the same. Iirc you are allowed to have up to three buildings on your property (house, detached garage, and a storage shed). Anything permanent needs to be at least 3 feet from property line. UA laws as of last year.

Just gonna say the same. Iirc you are allowed to have up to three buildings on your property (house, detached garage, and a storage shed). Anything permanent needs to be at least 3 feet from property line. UA laws as of last year.

How far below the surface can you go? Can we begin the dig?

or...

Make it look like this Clay!

http://sofapedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/modern-garage-design-ideas.jpg

• 1 month later...

Update: I've been talking with City of UA's Chief Building Officer, who has looked at my property and indicated there would be a good fit. Architect is going to be designing some mid-century carport designs, possibly 20x40 feet to accomodate 3 cars.

Has anyone poured a concrete pad appx 800-960sq ft for this sort of project, or something similar like a pole barn? I did a concrete driveway myself at our last house and it was a huge bish. Looking at foundation/driveway options.

Update: I've been talking with City of UA's Chief Building Officer, who has looked at my property and indicated there would be a good fit. Architect is going to be designing some mid-century carport designs, possibly 20x40 feet to accomodate 3 cars.

Has anyone poured a concrete pad appx 800-960sq ft for this sort of project, or something similar like a pole barn? I did a concrete driveway myself at our last house and it was a huge bish. Looking at foundation/driveway options.

If you are looking to have someone pour it, give Sam a call.

https://www.facebook.com/DemeterConstruction/

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update...

After reading about wind and snow-weight certification, plus the costs involved of designing, certifying, engineering and building, I've been leaning heavily towards Absolute Steel's single-level 18'x20' carport. It's cheap, provides plenty of sturdy coverage for two cars, and most of all the City Code office is willing to accept the design! I indicated via email that I would look at adding wooden horizontal slats like the picture above to make it more aesthetically pleasing, which they liked. All I had to do was send them an instruction/installation .pdf of the carport design from Absolute Steel. So far, it's been relatively easy.

I'm glad my cheapness isn't getting the best of me. If I did something for several hundred bucks on my own that ended up breaking in a storm, I'd be in a lot of shit and I'd hate to piss off the neighbors. Something simple that the engineers approve is definitely the way to go.

Quick update...

After reading about wind and snow-weight certification, plus the costs involved of designing, certifying, engineering and building, I've been leaning heavily towards Absolute Steel's single-level 18'x20' carport. It's cheap, provides plenty of sturdy coverage for two cars, and most of all the City Code office is willing to accept the design! I indicated via email that I would look at adding wooden horizontal slats like the picture above to make it more aesthetically pleasing, which they liked. All I had to do was send them an instruction/installation .pdf of the carport design from Absolute Steel. So far, it's been relatively easy.

I'm glad my cheapness isn't getting the best of me. If I did something for several hundred bucks on my own that ended up breaking in a storm, I'd be in a lot of shit and I'd hate to piss off the neighbors. Something simple that the engineers approve is definitely the way to go.

Awesome! i was looking for an option myself. thanks for doing the leg work ;)

Can you send me the pdf.... pretty please??

Glad to hear this is going well clay.

Where on the property is this going? I assume back against the fence where the basketball hoop is right?

Final thing to consider may be snow dump over the fence or drainage during thaw into the neighbors yard. It would suck to get sued by a neighbor because during a thaw melted snow water ran right into their basement or something.

Awesome! i was looking for an option myself. thanks for doing the leg work ;)

Can you send me the pdf.... pretty please??

PM me your email addy. It's still pending final approval, but the guy I'm speaking with seems positive.

Glad to hear this is going well clay.

Where on the property is this going? I assume back against the fence where the basketball hoop is right?

Final thing to consider may be snow dump over the fence or drainage during thaw into the neighbors yard. It would suck to get sued by a neighbor because during a thaw melted snow water ran right into their basement or something.

Yup. in the back to the right of the basketball hoop.

The back edge will 9ft from the fence/property line (code is minimum 3ft), same as the asphalt driveway. Runoff from a metal roof is higher than an asphalt driveway, but it'll be comparable...not worried.

If it doesn't have gutters you will want it to drip on asphalt or concrete if your pad is slightly wider. Otherwise it literally creates little trenches in the dirt/grass/mulch (will be mud). It also splatters mud up on what I assume will be vehicles parked under it if near the side. The to-be-added wood slats will help this anyway. But better to just have wet slats than muddy slats. The sides of my gutterless once-white garage show this phenomenon all too well :(

• 1 month later...

Paul asked at Doc's last night so I thought I'd provide a quick update.

After a month of productive back-and-forth with City of UA Code, I got the email on Friday to fill out for a building permit! I'm assuming that this means I pay $56 and go to town putting this bish up???::lol: I'll confirm on Monday/Tuesday.

Funny thing was, the Code Enforcement Officer was like "Please provide an elevation and schematic plot of what the carport will look like." Uhhh...do I look, like an architect? I ended up photoshopping this gem for teh win.

BEFORE:

http://imgur.com/QJnhtrPl.jpg

AFTER:

http://imgur.com/4dy6c4sl.jpg

Very professional, I know :lol::lol: SCOREBOARD, motherfuckers...it worked. :D So, with the building permit filled out - listing me as the general contractor:eek: - I'll confirm that I'm OK to buy the kit and get it here.

Also, I know it's right next to the basketball hoop, but that thing has been there a long time (rusty) and may have to come down as soon as I see a Goalrilla (or some other rolling b-ball hoop stand) that I can score used. If I end up redoing the driveway in coming years, it'll definitely come down.

Goal is to have the carport up before the Lincoln comes out of storage next month!