Any reloaders in the House? Low quantity brass?

gillbot

Looking for a place to buy cheap brass in lower quantities. Just got my press and i don't want to buy 500-5000 pieces while I mess with it to learn and play. Just a few pieces each of 9mm, 40s&w and 45 acp will be plenty. I'd also take a few 380 acp but this isn't a high priority. Anyone willing to spare a handful of each so I can get rolling? After I get to shooting and saving my brass, I'll be set but in the mean time I'd like to get it set up and going ahead of time.

Any tips for a beginner would also be appreciated. I'm using a lee single stage fwiw. Don't plan on high volume, just the ability in keeping the stockpile replenished is good enough. Shoot a few boxes, reload a few boxes.

Tips:

-don't get distracted. Pay attention

-have fun with it

-stay organized and tidy.

-start saving for a progressive. You're going to want it in short order

Quickest way to stockpile is go to the range and dump their brass buckets in a bag. That's what I did and have piles and piles of brass.

Or, on that note, PM me your address and I'll send you some. Any other requests? I have just about every caliber ever invented.

I appreciate the offers. Unfortunately, I'm not in cbus so it'd have to be shipped. I can toss a few $ via PayPal as I don't expect anyone to eat the cost of shipping. As of now, the only calibers I have are 380, 9, 40 and 45. In rifle I also have 270 but I already have nearly 200 brass for that. I'm sure I'll be adding soon but waiting for the holiday season to settle out before I buy more stuff.

As for a progressive, I've had my eye on one for a while. I'm sure I'll go there eventually but for now I plan to go slow. I figured I'd start with the single stage and eventually move up, but even if I do the single can be a deprimer or trimming station. Plus it's always easiest for rifle calibers anyway. Not like it'll ever go to waste.

Unfortunately for me, most of the ranges here keep the brass. They don't allow pickups which sucks. I believe they keep and reload it to sell back to shooters. I'm still looking for better ranges though so that may change, but for now I'm stuck. I'm trying to mostly shoot at friends with lots of property but many of them also reload and keep the brass. I'm sure if I asked ahead of time they'd let me keep what I shoot but I'll cross that bridge when it comes.

The post office has flat rate boxes which are good for shipping heavy stuff like brass. I will give you the brass if you pay for the shipping.

A good book to read if you are interested is the ABC's of Reloading.

https://www.amazon.com/ABCs-Reloading-Definitive-Novice-Expert/dp/1440213968/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482846020&sr=8-1&keywords=abcs+of+reloading

This is a good source for brass. His name is Jon and he is out of Newark which is a little closer to you. He's a really nice guy and has helped me get some of the harder calipers to find like 357mag.

http://www.reloadingbrass.net/Default.asp

If you happen to be in Columbus during the week, Research Alloys gets a lot of range brass. It's mixed in 55 gallon drums, but you can pick out what you want and buy it "by the pound" at scrap brass prices.

I'll have to look in to that. Sometimes I do work in zanesvills so it wouldn't be too bad to make a trip over.

I agree anytime you go to the range just ask most people don't reload and are happy for you to pick up their brass.

As I said...

Unfortunately for me, most of the ranges here keep the brass. They don't allow pickups which sucks. I believe they keep and reload it to sell back to shooters.

Keep in mind I live in BFE so everything out here is a money making scheme.

As for a progressive, I've had my eye on one for a while. I'm sure I'll go there eventually but for now I plan to go slow. I figured I'd start with the single stage and eventually move up, but even if I do the single can be a deprimer or trimming station. Plus it's always easiest for rifle calibers anyway. Not like it'll ever go to waste.

You definitely are doing the right thing starting out with a single stage. Learn each stage. I would suggest a couple of good calipers and as everyone else says a good manual. I have two progressives and a single stage. I still start almost every load on the single stage. Reloading turns into essentially organized hording. I don't have near the amount of calibers that RedRocket has but I still have a ton of stuff. When I bought my current house packing and moving everything was a bear. I am guessing I have at least 500 lbs of just bullets not counting brass and the machines and powder.

• 5 months later...
Ok, after the last batch of brass I got sent has disappeared, I'm enjoying toying with different loads and such. Sadly I still don't have a source for cheap brass here aside from my own spent casings so I'm still in the market. Main calibers are still 380/357sig/9/40&45 but I also now have 223/556 so if anyone wants to unload brass for cheap let me know.

I have Tons of free 308 empties if you ever need any.

No 308.... yet. :ninja:

Ideally I'd just like to have enough brass around so I can keep ahead of shooting. Usually burn through a few boxes at a time so if I can keep that many brass on hand I can keep ahead. Plus it allows me to make a few of each test rounds and see what my guns like.

Ok, time to change this up. Anyone have brass they are willing to sell period? Armslist and Craigslist have been major busts so far with a few no-shows and typical tater pricing. I'd love to find a source semi-local but keep coming up dry as many of the ranges turn their cases into reloads to resell.

How much do you want of each? I offered before but didn't hear back. I'll give you the 9 and 40 if you pay shipping. I have to see how much 223 I have.

Sorry about that, I thought I answered everyone that messaged me.

At this point, I'll take what I can get. If I have to buy in larger amounts, I will. I've been cruising gunbroker and other sites looking for deals but they seem to be hit or miss.

Ok, after the last batch of brass I got sent has disappeared, I'm enjoying toying with different loads and such. Sadly I still don't have a source for cheap brass here aside from my own spent casings so I'm still in the market. Main calibers are still 380/357sig/9/40&45 but I also now have 223/556 so if anyone wants to unload brass for cheap let me know.

Did the stuff I sent you not show up or did you burn through it already?