iRacing setups.

Geeesammy

So I searched and found 2 older threads from a year ago regarding iRacing and wheel setups. Pretty set on buying a G920, but figured I would post on here for any feedback or better recommendations for a $200-$300 wheel/pedal setup before I spend the cash. My rig should handle iRacing pretty easily, so looking to get a decent wheel so I can enjoy the game.

I noticed the G27 was the common trend on the last thread, but it looks like they are not being sold now? Ideally I'd like to get it off of amazon, I have a $250 gift card to burn on there. All the G27's listed are going for like $900 :dumb:

Once I get this setup would there be any interest in getting a CR league going? I don't mind paying whatever, just would be pretty cool playing against people I know-ish in a league setting instead of some squeaking 12 year old from Russia talking about my mom in broken English.

well, I have built two people iRacing setups this past year and the most difficult part of the build was getting the wheel, pedals, and stick. Your best bet is to camp out ebay for a reputable seller if you want to go the logitech route. On one of the builds I did we were able to find a good deal on a G27 with stick for a good price. The reason the prices are so high is because the racing sim market exploded in Asia and Japan and people are buying them like hotcakes over there to make their own rigs.

Best of luck with your build man. I have had the privilege of playing iRacing with an Oculus Rift and HOLY SMOKES is it awesome! Also, I can confirm that you will not find screaming 12 year old kids on iRacing... way to expensive for them... they are all playing Forza on XBox Live. :)

I run a simple setup with a g920, an old playseat, and just one monitor. I replaced an old driving Force GT. Honestly the biggest difference in the update between the DGT and G920 was the pedal feel. You can go absolutely NUTS on wheel and pedal setups. Just look up Fanatec options. I'm holding off on going 3 screen with the idea that I'd go rift eventually.

I really don't race much at all though usually just turn laps for fun and to keep rhythm at courses I would run. I'd be interested in a CR league though. I did the rennlist one in the past.

I am running the Fanatec V2 base, 918 wheel, CS 1.5 SQ shifter, v3 pedals and CS handbrake for my setup. Single monitor I went with a VR HTC Vive and hated it. Im building another computer to run the setup dedicated and im going to go triple 27" monitors on the setup.

G27 is meh, Get the 920 or get a thrusmaster t300rs or t500.

My fanatec gt2 wheel died. My GT3 wheel sounds like its going to die. My clubsport pedals are amazing. Will probably go thrustmaster when my wheel dies. Fanatec gear is awesome but i cant trust their build quality anymore.

G27 is meh, Get the 920 or get a thrusmaster t300rs or t500.

I've heard this about the G27, feedback and feel isn't up to the T300RS, but the pedals are better.

I'll probably piece together a kit and computer for it this year to prepare me for next winter.

Building that stuff is easy for the most part, I had planned to build a real hydraulic pedal set and handbrake but I got lazy.

Ive personally had the g27, t300rs and the fanatec gear. If I had to do it again id skip the Logitech stuff all together. its decent but it is very loud and feels cheap like you are playing with a toy.

T300/t500rs is a solid choice. The t300 stock pedals are a joke so you will want to add on the shifter and pedals.

IMO, do the t300rs wheel/base with a DSD wheel adapter and a true 350mm wheel, Fanatec CS 1.5 shifter and the T3pa-PRO pedals.

Ive seen alot of people doing the t3pa-pro pedals with the ricmotech load cell conversion and they seem very happy. Also dont forget to look at the Fanatec CSL Elite wheel. Its based off the V2 base with minor differences. Biggest difference is that it has a plastic housing as compared to the billet housing.

Biggest thing I can say to you is if you plan to do a sim setup hard mount it. It makes such a huge difference and really pro longs the life of the equipment. The reason I got rid of the t300 setup is the desk mount kept stripping on me due to constant mounting and mounting to the desk.

Someone please elaborate on what an iRacing set up is. Sounds interesting.

Basically a force feedback wheel/pedals/ single or triple monitor setup allowing you to play iRacing (subscription based service) which is the most realistic sim/game I've played so far and that's just using a controller until I decide on a wheel.

You can go from simple to wild and anywhere in between.

Wildest I've seen yet

Sucks for a lot of people that don't have the PC capable of running it already, because to get a setup that can run it fluidly (150+ FPS) is a decent chunk of change for most people. If you are already into PC gaming its usually as simple as grabbing a wheel and pedals, maybe new monitors and going from there. Or like me, just plug in the Xbox controller until you get a wheel.

Here's a quick vid of my racing from earlier. Dumb fun even just with a controller. Doc's wheel setups I think would be compatible, maybe next time he opens up I can run my PC up, use my phone as a hotspot and let some people try out a few laps (If he is okay with it and the wheels are PC compatible, most are I think).

Edited by Geeesammy

The design part of these setups sounds interesting. Are there standard switch panels that people use? Anyone want to draw up a custom one for me to cut out of scrap metal? Or any other brackets, etc.

Ive never seen anyone use switch panels really. Im not too keen on what can be done, but as far as in game functions you really just use whats on the wheel or controller. I think it would be hard to take your hand off the wheel.for a switch.

Grant, I'll sell you my Driving Force GT for $80 if you'd like a cheap wheel/pedal setup to get you started.

Ill let you know, im going to a friends place tonight who owns a G27 and G29 to test both out and see which if any I like.

Thanks for the offer!

I run the Mustabg FR500 a lot because it's closest in speed to my real track car. It's also a good mix of a faster more fun car without being crazy fast like the CTS-V or Holden race cars. Unfortunately its not one of the basic package cars so perhaps one of those would make more sense.

I was hoping the new Porsches would have come out by now. If they come out with a 911 cup car I'll likely buy that next. Even better would be a GT4 Club Sport.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought the new cup car and got to play a little with it. Maybe it's my setup but it seems a bit finicky on the brakes. One time great, another time similar pressure locks the rears. I'll maybe play with bias.

Anyone interested in running a cup car race at Mid Ohio, Watkins Glen, or VIR?