Music stores? (Preferably used)

zeitgeist57

Sam Ash/guitar center. Most of the small ones have closed down. Also Craigslist (obviously).

Music go round did have 2 locations in Columbus. Not sure if that's the case anymore.

+1 for Sam Ash/Guitar Center. They're both within like a half mile so if one doesn't have what you're looking for you can hit up the other.

Guitar Center seems to have nicer things and a bigger selection. Last time I was in Sam Ash (last week) there was a cop guarding the front door.

If he's just starting invest in a good set of noise cancelling devices for you and the family..

I can remember when my one son began playing the trumpet...WOW the sounds he could make that I have never heard a horn make

^^ haha! Here too. Our son has moved from a single to a double french horn and when he started it was like he was torturing an elephant. Now he's pretty good but dang that horn is loud!

Clay, you might even want to look into rent-to-own set ups. We do that with our daughters violin and wife's Chello. They cover all damage and repairs, etc. and the pricing isn't much different than buying outright. Our place includes upgrades in size as well which was nice as my daughter moved up in size and the monies paid now apply to that one.

The Violin Loft in Clintonville is where we got ours, and while they don't do drum sets they likely know a good place that does. Music and Arts in Hilliard is where we had my sons French Horn fixed once. IIRC they do drums.

Thanks, guys. We went to Music-Go-Round...close to home and the guy was indeed very helpful. Got some freebies (drumsticks and guitar picks!) for a $13 purchase!

I've bought and sold there many times. GC and SA as well. I recommend MGR or GC.

Also, I've never been here, but a few of our drummers have.

http://www.columbuspercussion.com/store/

We did music go round up on morse with my son's drums. I started him on an alesis e-kit from amazon first which ended up just being a waste of money.....well....some money. I sold them and the amp and got some of the money back. We then went to music go round and bought him a set of pearl's and go back every so often to add cymbals or something. You probably don't end up spending a ton less money really.....you just get much better shit for the same money. It's been a good investment for him. He plays the shit out of them.

If you want a good place for lessons let me know and I can give you the number to the guy we use. He's a good dude and a good teacher.

We did music go round up on morse with my son's drums. I started him on an alesis e-kit from amazon first which ended up just being a waste of money.....well....some money. I sold them and the amp and got some of the money back. We then went to music go round and bought him a set of pearl's and go back every so often to add cymbals or something. You probably don't end up spending a ton less money really.....you just get much better shit for the same money. It's been a good investment for him. He plays the shit out of them.

If you want a good place for lessons let me know and I can give you the number to the guy we use. He's a good dude and a good teacher.

Thank you for that. My son is 5 and I'm letting him hammer the shit out of the drums, play along with YouTube vids, etc... gonna let him use his creativity for awhile. :)

I can't say enough nice things about Music-Go-Round, glad they sorted you out.

Not that you asked but here are some pieces of advice about learning an instrument:

- Lessons and training are more important than the instrument themselves. It provides structure, discipline, and patience. Remember, part of learning music is learning a foreign language, and having a good foundation is good for setting the stage of personal development and growth. Some people come to it naturally, just like math or languages, and some people need the training and practice, but all need to learn the basics, otherwise "creativity" is just noise.

- The cheap instruments these days are 100 times better than instruments even as recent as 15-20 years ago. In 2016 I did a musical walkabout of sorts. I went to the rock and roll hall of fame, Sun Studios in Memphis, a weekend with a luthier friend of mine in nashville, various small musician museums, and a couple of classes on guitar making. I also assembled an instrument from nothing but parts. What I learned from all this is that it doesn't take much to make music, and some of the most famous legendary artists in the world made a lot of their early music with some of the shittiest instruments I have ever seen. Point is you can be thrifty with the tools and still see great results - just understand the value of the tools. To me something like a metronome is way more valuable than cymbals to a beginner just learning to drum. It's easy to get sucked in to thinking you need a Pearl Kit or a Gibson guitar but I have to say there were two session musicians I met in Nashville who play all their gigs (and some on some very well known records) on korean made $190 Squire Stratocasters.

- make sure your son likes the instrument. Too many times I have seen people buy their kids something "cheap" that the kid didn't want and the kid never ends up playing it. My first lessons were in Classical and Flamenco guitar and I hated it so I never practiced and eventually abandoned it for a year or so in high school. I wanted to play electric guitar and learn rock and roll songs. When I got to college I decided I wanted to teach myself how to do that so I...ahem...acquired...a custom Yamaha Pacifica with a floyd rose and dual Seymour Duncan humbuckers and a bunch of tablature cheat books on ACDC, The Stones, etc....Sure I learned a lot from being forced to take classical guitar lessons, but I had more fun and wanted to practice more playing rock on "my" instrument.

...gonna let him use his creativity for awhile. :)

Good. Don't stop letting him. Ever.

I can't say enough nice things about Music-Go-Round, glad they sorted you out.

- Lessons and training are more important than the instrument themselves. It provides structure, discipline, and patience. Remember, part of learning music is learning a foreign language, and having a good foundation is good for setting the stage of personal development and growth. Some people come to it naturally, just like math or languages, and some people need the training and practice, but all need to learn the basics, otherwise "creativity" is just noise.

Agreed up until ""creativity" is just noise".

- The cheap instruments these days are 100 times better than instruments even as recent as 15-20 years ago. In 2016 I did a musical walkabout of sorts. I went to the rock and roll hall of fame, Sun Studios in Memphis, a weekend with a luthier friend of mine in nashville, various small musician museums, and a couple of classes on guitar making. I also assembled an instrument from nothing but parts. What I learned from all this is that it doesn't take much to make music, and some of the most famous legendary artists in the world made a lot of their early music with some of the shittiest instruments I have ever seen. Point is you can be thrifty with the tools and still see great results - just understand the value of the tools. To me something like a metronome is way more valuable than cymbals to a beginner just learning to drum. It's easy to get sucked in to thinking you need a Pearl Kit or a Gibson guitar but I have to say there were two session musicians I met in Nashville who play all their gigs (and some on some very well known records) on korean made $190 Squire Stratocasters.

As someone who literally grew up on a tour bus, yes and no.

Instruments DEFINITELY can play a part. I've played now on 8 different albums. None that anyone cares about, but they've all payed well. I've played great instruments and shitty ones. Some my own and some owned by studios and other musicians.

Mozart never made a name for himself on a POS piano, although give him a mediocre or middling piano and he'd go ape shit.

Don't take instrument advice from a non-musician.

My 1987 Fender P Bass and 2007 Ibanez 405QM impressed the producer of Maroon 5's last album's producer, so there's that.

Age is irrelevant. Quality is ALWAYS relevant.

Walkabouts may be nice, and tinkering in shops is fine. That doesn't amount to a hill of beans in the end.

- make sure your son likes the instrument. Too many times I have seen people buy their kids something "cheap" that the kid didn't want and the kid never ends up playing it. My first lessons were in Classical and Flamenco guitar and I hated it so I never practiced and eventually abandoned it for a year or so in high school. I wanted to play electric guitar and learn rock and roll songs. When I got to college I decided I wanted to teach myself how to do that so I...ahem...acquired...a custom Yamaha Pacifica with a floyd rose and dual Seymour Duncan humbuckers and a bunch of tablature cheat books on ACDC, The Stones, etc....Sure I learned a lot from being forced to take classical guitar lessons, but I had more fun and wanted to practice more playing rock on "my" instrument.

A lawyer who stole a shit guitar. Please tell me more, rock god.

Agreed up until ""creativity" is just noise".

Yeah I realized after I said it it wasn't what I was trying to say. I guess my point is creativity will only get you so far on it's own merit. I don't think any creativity should be stifled but it needs to be augmented with some core training to make progress. Otherwise it can get to be circular.

Age is irrelevant. Quality is ALWAYS relevant.
101% agree. I guess my point is with CNC and other machine tools to standardize production in instrument making, quality is more affordable than it has ever been in the past. There are still cheap shit instruments out there but there are also great ones that don't cost gibson or USA fender money.

A lawyer who stole a shit guitar. Please tell me more, rock god.

Won it in a college dorm poker game one of the few times I ever won anything at poker. Is it a shit guitar? eh...it's got good pickups, a good trem, the neck is straight, and it sounds fine, can't ask for more. The point is you have to like what you are doing and the right instrument is the part of that... I think you made a similar point earlier.

Make fun all you want, I'm a shit guitar player and I know it. Doesn't make it any less fun for me.

Instruments make a huge difference. Not everyone is going to be the next Jimi Hendrix or Neil Peart so most aren't going to have the talent naturally. A nice playing instrument can be the difference when learning to play. Example is that alesis kit I bought my son. Who wants to play a cheap ass e-kit where the high hat cross talks to the snare and shit like that? Do you have to buy the best? Not by a long shot but you need something that at least plays well.

At 5 I'd say you got some time to ponder lessons. Keep in mind a couple of things though. Lessons will be more apt to keep him interested in it because he'll constantly be learning new things and have goals where as just beating on them himself he may tend to get bored with it. The other thing with lessons is he'll be learning to play properly so it won't be as easy for him to pick up bad habits. Like I say though.....at 5 you still have time to make that call. I do know Mike has or has had students that young. Zach started at 9 and he's came a long way in 4 years.

4 years ago....this was the same week he got his first set

earlier this year at lessons...watch him at 3:30 go off on the double kickers :D