Detailing Products

BStowers023

What brand or company do you guys use and have experience with? I've always just used stuff from Advanced Auto Parts or Autozone like Meguiars or Turtle Wax stuff but I'm curious as if there is better stuff out there? Here are a couple companies I've found...

Chemical Guys

http://www.chemicalguys.com/?gclid=CO68rNmCytECFYKGaQodAoUMaA

Adams

http://adamspolishes.com/

JaxWax is a local Columbus company.

I can't recommend Chemical Guy's after dealing with their wholesale team has been a huge mess and allocated $1k of our money for over 6 weeks because of their screw up.

This could end up being a long thread.

I don't stick with one brand. I use several brands, varying products, etc.

It's what works best for me.

That being said, hands down best company to buy micro fiber towels from is ... The Rag Company

What brand or company do you guys use and have experience with? I've always just used stuff from Advanced Auto Parts or Autozone like Meguiars or Turtle Wax stuff but I'm curious as if there is better stuff out there? Here are a couple companies I've found...

As noted, could be a long thread because I too use a lot of different ones depending on the make of car, paint, etc.

To keep it simple it though the Megs Twins are great and I do use them a lot. M105/M205 or their consumer branded version Ultimate Compound, Ultimate Polish are very good. If you use the Ultimate line up just be aware that you should do an IPA wipedown or use something like Eraser to remove the oils both use as they can mask swirls a bit and will interfere with coating applications. Meg's Ultimate Polish is very good too.

Product Wise: I have these in my cabinet and use them regularly.

Compounds:

Meg's M101 Foam Compound - most aggressive but finishes out great. Combine this with Microfiber and you'll correct even the worst damage in short-order

Meg's M105/Ult. Compound - Med to high aggressiveness but finishes great

HDCut - great for medium to rough needs and finishes out the best of all. With the right pad there's no need for a polish step. The new formulation replaces HDAdapt which I love.

FG400 is a great stand-by product too. Useful on a lot of different cars but I use it mainly on German paints.

Polishes:

Meg's M205/Ult. Polish - great final polish and finishes very nicely

HD Polish finishes out a little better but has a shorter working time

Menzerna's 3500/3800 do great on VW/Audi and MBZ for which they were developed. Especially solid on MBZ Ceramiclear Paint codes. They do very well on soft subaru paint too.

All in One's:

HDSpeed - finishes out fantastic, removes mild to medium swirls and has HDPoxy built in as a sealer. Super easy to remove.

CarPro Essence - Excellent as a polish or refining polish and is a great All in One, especially if combined with their Reload Product. I use it as a base-coat for my ceramic coatings. Excellent product.

Sealants:

Collinite makes several really good ones. #845 is by far the easiest to apply and remove. Key is to put is on super super thin. Last quite a long time. #476 is my go-to for Tough as Nails finishing, especially in winter. Longest lasting most durable they make. #915 is the third one of theirs I like to use. Warmer tone in terms of finishing so it works spectacular on reds and warm colors. All are easy to remove but the key is to apply them thin. Black pad and a buffer is the best way. Otherwise, they can be a bit more difficult to buff off.

Meg's Ulitmate Wax is good stuff too. Hybrid synthetic that provides good durability and ease of removal.

HDPoxy - Great synthetic sealant. I use it over HDSpeed for added protection.

Wolfgang Fuzion - Expensive but by far the best nauba wax out there. Can't go wrong. Show car in your stable - use this.

Blackfire Wet Diamond - Great all purpose high gloss wax. Polish Angel is the only other line up that I see rivals this for bang/buck product.

Sonex Polymer Net Shield - Aerosol spray on wipe off. Great for ease of use and offers 6mos+ protection. Perfect where ease of use and speed is needed.

Ultima Paint Guard Plus - Is by far the best Wipe on Walk Awayproduct. Offers a super slick hard finish with no streaks. I love this as a follow up to freshly done vehicles and works great on the inside of doors and trunks where it will last quite a long time enabling much easier cleaning

Finish Kare 1000P is a great alternative to Collinte 476, especially in the summer. It's one of the highest temp resistant products withstanding temps of 250 degree thus a black car in full sun will remain protected. Very resistant to water spotting too.

Chem Guys Blacklight/Whitelight - great glazes for their respective dark/light finishes but these also have a good sealant in them. I personally used blacklight and liked it but would recommend two coats. First one with machine is fine, let cure, then the second coat lightly by hand.

I'm sure I've blown more money on others but those are what I can remember off the top of my head :)

I bought Chemical Guys white light and white wax for my Camaro and Corvette last year, and I'm happy with the results. It hides many minor defects and shines nicely, this year I plan to spend some more time prepping so there isn't as much that needs hiding but I haven't decided on compounds yet.

I'm ready to try the ceramics everyone is loving. Soon enough. The only problem I have is that my right arm is permantly f'd up and there is no way that I can physically do all that is necessary to get the correct finish. Anything that vibrates, insert joke here, just kills my nerves for a few days and the arm is useless. Fun times.

I'm ready to try the ceramics everyone is loving. Soon enough. The only problem I have is that my right arm is permantly f'd up and there is no way that I can physically do all that is necessary to get the correct finish. Anything that vibrates, insert joke here, just kills my nerves for a few days and the arm is useless. Fun times.

You will be pleased. Black is especially awesome when done right [emoji1]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Good info, Tim.

Would you reccomend only using a compound with a buffer? I don't really feel comfortable using one as I would most likely make the car look worse than better. If I apply the compound by hand, will I still create bad swirl marks?

Good info, Tim.

Would you reccomend only using a compound with a buffer? I don't really feel comfortable using one as I would most likely make the car look worse than better. If I apply the compound by hand, will I still create bad swirl marks?

What car? Repainted at all or stock paint? Not sure of what your goal is to correct the entire car or just a spot?

Best results will be with a buffer. You could do it by hand of course, but it's 100x more difficult and a DA Buffer will yield better results.

Feel free to give me a shout. Happy to show you if you have the tools and are looking to try.

What car? Repainted at all or stock paint? Not sure of what your goal is to correct the entire car or just a spot?

Best results will be with a buffer. You could do it by hand of course, but it's 100x more difficult and a DA Buffer will yield better results.

Feel free to give me a shout. Happy to show you if you have the tools and are looking to try.

I'll PM you