WWCRD - Selling the Caddy, need a DD. (Draco loses his mind)

Draco-REX

So we're buying a house, and we decided it was a good time to give our budget a good cleaning. Looks like we're going to eliminate or greatly reduce our car payments. I don't want to part with the Lotus just yet, so the Caddy has to go. I don't want to sell it, but I don't really have a choice. I'll miss it; being able to cruise in comfort while having a tactical nuke under my right foot is not something I'll forget. It kills me that every time I get what I plan to be a long-term car, something comes up and I have to sell it.

Because I have to essentially make two cars from one, my budget is limited. I have a few ideas so I figured, why not run them by CR? What could possibly go wrong? :lolguy:

Ideally, I'd like a manual, AWD, and some luxury (heated seats ftw), all for under $20k and preferably under $15k. The first two cut down the possible candidates like the Grim Reaper at a retirement home rave, the price puts cyanide in the punchbowl. So here are some of the choices I'm looking at:

BMW 3 series X-Drive or Audi A4 Quattro.

Pros:

Ticks all the boxes.

Cons:

To hit the price point, I'm looking at high mileage.

BMW M3 (E36/E46) or Audi S4.

Pros:

All the boxes

More fun than the above.

Cons:

Even higher mileage.

For both of these choices, I'm looking at 70K+ miles. Seems like a bad idea. I'm not afraid to work on my cars, but I'm worried I'm just asking for headaches with these choices despite them being the most enjoyable.

Subaru Legacy GT (08-09) preferably spec.B.

Pros:

Ticks all the boxes

I know these cars and already have some parts.

Cons:

Frankly, they're overpriced.

High miles.

I just don't like how the newer big-bodied Legacy looks, so I'd be looking at 8 year old cars with a lot of miles. While a Legacy would work well, I have owned one before and I'd like something new and different.

Mazda RX-8

Pros:

Haven't driven a rotary before

Fun driver's car

Cons:

Not AWD

Reasonable mileage examples are in my price range. I know there's a lot of hatred for the Wankel, but it's always intrigued me. Unfortunately my new commute to work (2 miles or so) will probably kill the engine in short order.

The wildcard!

Chevy Volt

Pros:

Plug-in hybrid means I'd burn ZERO gas going to work and back

Low mileage examples in my budget

Electric motor means short drives are ok

Cons:

FWD

Auto (ish)

Normally automatics drive me up the wall. But the Volt is primarily electric so there's no gears. No gear hunting means the car is essentially direct-drive so it responds more like a manual. I test drove one and it wasn't all that bad, surprisingly. I still have to deal with FWD, but I've got other fun stuff to drive.

Now what insanity should I inflict on myself?

Edited by Draco-REX

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know my S60R is a tad overpriced but I'm motivated to sell. Heated seats that are more comfortable than you can imagine, bluetooth, nav, 6-speed manual, 370'ish horsepower, all maintenance done, everything works.. zero rust and maybe like 2 little chips on the entire body. Only con is it's 12 years old, and overpriced because of the super rarity of its options. I mean, I browsed for 4 years looking for this exact setup.

I have two people looking at it tomorrow but I'll hold off for a bro

1) BMW M3s are not AWD. Also the newest e36 M3 is like 17 years old. E46 M3s despite being one of the more good looking M3s to come out in a while have some real problems that you can fall into like the rear subframe/body tub cracking around the shock mounts.

2) Volt essentially becomes a game of step on the pedal but keep the green ball in the gauge cluster green. Even if you don't want to it turns you into a hypermiler before you even know it.

3) have you considered a Porsche 911 996 (1999-2004)? Manual, 4 and 4s models are AWD. I have seen manual models well below $20k with 50k-70k mileage on them (mostly cabriolets with the factory hardtop). Case in point here is a manual, AWD, 70k mile car at a dealer in Indy for slightly above your budget ($26k): http://tippecanoe.craigslist.org/ctd/5949411127.html

Not a manual but would be a better option IMO than a volt, 300s. Awd 8 speed pano roof.

^^ This. THey check a lot of boxes.

In about a week you're going to see a black one that is cleaned up so nicely that it will blind you. :ninja: Metallic Black IIRC too.

^^ This. THey check a lot of boxes.

In about a week you're going to see a black one that is cleaned up so nicely that it will blind you. :ninja: Metallic Black IIRC too.

This actually isn't a bad option. Even RWD would be fine, because Ohio, and they look better (lower ride height).

Volts not a bad daily either.

The wildest card would be to buy a 500e and ship it from CA. They are going for $4k at dealer auctions, retail from $7-10k and have an ~85 mile range. I have been wanting to do this, but my wife isn't sold on getting both kids in the back yet.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I know my S60R is a tad overpriced but I'm motivated to sell. Heated seats that are more comfortable than you can imagine, bluetooth, nav, 6-speed manual, 370'ish horsepower, all maintenance done, everything works.. zero rust and maybe like 2 little chips on the entire body. Only con is it's 12 years old, and overpriced because of the super rarity of its options. I mean, I browsed for 4 years looking for this exact setup.

I have two people looking at it tomorrow but I'll hold off for a bro

You know, I was looking at these. My mother has a Volvo and it's a surprisingly good car. This would be a good choice, but I need to get the Caddy sold, so don't hold off a potential sale for me.

1) BMW M3s are not AWD. Also the newest e36 M3 is like 17 years old. E46 M3s despite being one of the more good looking M3s to come out in a while have some real problems that you can fall into like the rear subframe/body tub cracking around the shock mounts.

Yeah, I realized I implied they were AWD as I was headed to bed last night. But as you pointed out, that's not the biggest issue with that choice.

2) Volt essentially becomes a game of step on the pedal but keep the green ball in the gauge cluster green. Even if you don't want to it turns you into a hypermiler before you even know it.

I think the time spent in the other cars will shake me of that. :)

3) have you considered a Porsche 911 996 (1999-2004)? Manual, 4 and 4s models are AWD. I have seen manual models well below $20k with 50k-70k mileage on them (mostly cabriolets with the factory hardtop). Case in point here is a manual, AWD, 70k mile car at a dealer in Indy for slightly above your budget ($26k): http://tippecanoe.craigslist.org/ctd/5949411127.html

That one's RWD. I found a manual AWD 4, but it's 16 years old and has 100k miles.

Not a manual but would be a better option IMO than a volt, 300s. Awd 8 speed pano roof.

When it comes to automatics, one thing that drives me out of my mind in frustration is gear hunting. I can't imagine an 8-speed Chrysler transmission would help. And also, it's a Mopar...

535xi. Awd,manual, heated seats and heated steering wheel and can be brought to 450hp with under $1,000 in mods.

I've come to hate car shopping for BMWs. The number of dealerships that can't tell the difference between a manual and an auto is insane. Makes me wish I could report listings... Either way, the 535 is a nice car, but I'm seeing examples in the 90K range. Which goes back to my original concern, how insane is buying a high mileage BMW or Audi?

The more I think about this, the more concerned I am about the super short 1.5mi commute to work. I think that would slowly kill any engine I have. That makes the Volt look better and better. However, I could afford one slightly higher than my budget as I would be cutting out a large portion of my monthly fuel bill. But then.. FWD. FWD in the snow is actually kinda scary to me.

I've been quite impressed with my friends Volt. He got the suede-like interior option and it really makes it quite nice inside for a GM product, it's quite comfortable and certainly has all the tech you'd likely want. It's peppy with the electric motor and almost never needing gas on a mostly short commute certainly isn't a bad thing. It is awkward to drive though, completely silent then all of a sudden the engine fires up when juice is needed and it running completely independently of how your driving is damned odd, but it works.

Buddy says there's some upgrades via software I believe to give it better output and you can couple the engine when you want too for even stronger acceleration.

You know, I was looking at these. My mother has a Volvo and it's a surprisingly good car. This would be a good choice, but I need to get the Caddy sold, so don't hold off a potential sale for me.

Yeah, I realized I implied they were AWD as I was headed to bed last night. But as you pointed out, that's not the biggest issue with that choice.

I think the time spent in the other cars will shake me of that. :)

That one's RWD. I found a manual AWD 4, but it's 16 years old and has 100k miles.

When it comes to automatics, one thing that drives me out of my mind in frustration is gear hunting. I can't imagine an 8-speed Chrysler transmission would help. And also, it's a Mopar...

I've come to hate car shopping for BMWs. The number of dealerships that can't tell the difference between a manual and an auto is insane. Makes me wish I could report listings... Either way, the 535 is a nice car, but I'm seeing examples in the 90K range. Which goes back to my original concern, how insane is buying a high mileage BMW or Audi?

The more I think about this, the more concerned I am about the super short 1.5mi commute to work. I think that would slowly kill any engine I have. That makes the Volt look better and better. However, I could afford one slightly higher than my budget as I would be cutting out a large portion of my monthly fuel bill. But then.. FWD. FWD in the snow is actually kinda scary to me.

I'm not a supporter of getting the volt, but if fwd in the snow scares you, you haven't driven enough fwd in the snow.

Almost as capable as some AWD, better than red. Weight is directly over the drive wheels.

I say still get something semi fun for you to drive. We spend a lot of time in commute, it's my time away from everything somedays, lol.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I would go for the Volvo as well, or an A4 (pretty easy to make a little more power with the 2.0t iirc). I would stay away from the rotary for a daily, especially since it is an rx8 you are looking at. It would make a great second fun car, partially because they are high maintenance motors.

That one's RWD. I found a manual AWD 4, but it's 16 years old and has 100k miles

The car he linked is a c4s which is most definitely AWD unless they ripped out the front diff for no good reason. C4s is the one to have in AWD as it has full turbo wide body, bumpers etc just in. NA package.

Draco Rex I bought my 535 with 140k miles on it. It was a clean one owner with full service history. There are a couple issues to look for when buying but you can get what you want well under 15k fully loaded. You won't find a better car for the money.

Well, saw a deal I couldn't pass up. A 2016 Volt Premiere, fully loaded, with only 205 miles on it at 10K under the price of a new one. I've been thinking about what to do with this DD issue for quite a while, but I do admit this was very fast even for me.

Pics tomorrow, but I did drive it for over 100miles. It's not an exciting car, but that's not what it should be. It is very comfortable, responsive, and rather good.

Performance:

Might as well get this out of the way. It's a 150hp, 3500lb car; no way to disguise that. However, it makes 294lb-ft of torque. So while it may take 8 seconds to hit 60mph, it does get up and go very well. I had no problem making passes and never felt like I had to wait for a downhill passing zone. Highway merging is no problem either. While I no longer have a WMD at my command, I don't feel like I lost any daily capability.

Cornering isn't terrible either. I was behind a Focus ST on a long on-ramp and while I'm sure he wasn't going 10/10ths, he wasn't being casual about it either. I pushed the car and it didn't have a scary amount of body roll and it felt very stable. I think it's the big battery pack mounted low and in the middle. Frankly, a couple sway bars, an inch of drop, and some stickier tires could make it a rather fun ar in the twisties. Hell, with all that torque down low, it might make a fun cone-dodger too. I was pleasantly surprised. Though if someone does something silly like actually make performance suspension bits for the Volt (about as likely as a Trump kissing a gay mexican) I don't think I'd bite.

Comfort:

Gotta admit, it's pretty comfy. The lack of power seats was a bit surprising, but that was probably a weight concern. While the seats don't hug me like the Caddy's Recaros (really, not many OE seats can, power or not) I didn't have any numbness or discomfort on a 2 hour drive. The driving position is nice with pretty good visibility (by today's NHTSA standards).

The ride is "supple but firm" whatever that means. Really, the suspension soaks up bumps without feeling soft or bouncy. Thumps are pretty audible, but not annoying. Honestly, after the Caddy's mag-ride suspension, everything is going to pale in comparison. But I had no complaints.

No issues with headlight visibility either. If anything I wonder if they might be aimed a touch high. But that might be because I am used to the really low aiming of the HID Subarus and the V. Automatic high beams is neat, but not something I think I'll use.

Convenience/Features:

Collision warning. Ehh.. Why?

Lane keeping assist. Kinda neat, but I can certainly live without it. Essentially if the car detects you about to leave your lane without any intended steering input, it'll actually nudge you back into your lane. It's not disruptive or sudden, but you could find yourself fighting it if you are the type to let yourself drift into the next lane when you want to change lanes.

Parking assist. Haven't tried it, not sure I trust it..

The touchscreen interface isn't terrible. It's responsive and the display is clear and smooth. I haven't tried Android Auto yet, but bluetooth integration worked great with Spotify. It even re-started playing Spotify after making a pit stop, something that my previous Bluetooth streaming cars/devices didn't do.

I do like the mvChevrolet app. I can check the charging status of the car and even see the mileage/efficiency numbers on my phone or laptop with the car off. I think it only needs the Basic OnStar plan to work too, so that's cool. The other OnStar features I have no interest in and won't be paying for.

The Tesla-style "hatchback" is handy too. I had to pick up some moving boxes on the way home and it was convenient.

There is a wireless charging pocket for your phone. It under the armrest and my Note 5 only fits if I pull it out of its case and leave the armrest open. Not a very well thought out design considering the Note is now the same size as the 6 and 7, and the big iPhone. Hopefully the USB ports output enough power to keep it charged with GPS, Music streaming, and other stuff running.

Styling:

I have to admit, I think I liked the 1st gen styling better. It looked more unique outside, and more high-tech inside. The 2nd gen exterior looks more like a normal car with maybe some "generic hybrid car *cough* prius *cough*" mixed in. But after I spend some time looking at it in person, there are a lot of interesting styling touches. And the Iridescent Pearl Tricoat white paint really makes the black trim pieces pop. I think this car will look great with black wheels and some tint.

Interior is a bit of a letdown. It looks very normal. I have no idea why GM chose to put a conventional gear selector in this car. And the cool waterfall console that the 1st gen had has been swapped for a really average looking console. I also don't know why GM tilted the touch screen forward. It makes the reach for the top of the screen just a bit farther and a little awkward. Seems a really weird choice and I keep wanting to pull the screen back to make it vertical.

Efficency:

So this is the centerpiece. I left it in normal mode with no changes to any EV/ICE settings. It drove 100% on battery until the charge ran out and then the engine started. While the 2016 Volt should have a range of 53miles on battery alone, I only got 33. But that was 33 miles at 75mph, way above the 50mph limit for optimal range. So it did a pretty good job. I'll get a better idea of the range as I drive it more.

When the battery is "empty" the ICE is started and used to generate more power and, if needed, add some torque to the drivetime. The engine really just kind of does its own thing. It's best to just turn the radio on and ignore it, really.

On the way there, the V burned about 6 gallons of gas. The Volt only burned about 2.5 on the way back. With the heat on, radio going, lights on, Nav running, 78mph cruise, and generally not caring about efficiency, I managed about 40mpg. Not bad. Combined was around 50 if I remember correctly, and that includes about 30 minutes of sitting in the car with it on while the OnStar people tried to get everything set up and working.

Plans:

Nothing big. The usual tint and clear bra, and a nicer set of summer wheels with some eco summer tires. I may dip/paint the stock wheels black for winter use. I doubt anyone will make lowering springs, but if they do I may get a set to reduce the wheel gaps.

"Why would you do that to a lame hybrid?"

Because looks.