WWCRD - Selling the Caddy, need a DD. (Draco loses his mind)

Draco-REX

oh god

Tl;dr

Should've gotten a Cadillac ELR, if you were going to blow your budget out of the water.

You need to install a 220V charging starting in that new house of yours.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

All i saw was a wall of text trting to justify buying a shitty econobox claiming how well it handles ans accelerates.

Next Draco Rex thread "Selling normal sized house for tiny house, Which full sized luxo diesel truck should I buy to haul it around?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

giphy.gif

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some people are forgetting that this wasn't a straight up trade. I traded an expensive car to get a less expensive one and pay off my wife's car loan. Additionally I trimmed my budget by reducing my insurance premiums and eliminating a large portion of my monthly gas bill.

As for my car switching, I've gone through quite a bit of upheaval with cars that I originally planned to keep for a long time. Everyone knows the story of why I don't have the BRZ any more, and frankly, if I had known my wife was going to buy a SUV when she did I would have been still driving the S5. Believe me, I had no idea 3 years ago that I'd be married and a homeowner in such a short amount of time.

And the tl;dr of the review is "Suprise! It doesn't crush my soul!" No justification needed.

But everything said and done, this is CR. If I was someone who needed a safe space, I certainly wouldn't be here. I did, in all honestly, drive up to a dealership with a supercar, and among a showroom filled with Corvettes, Mustangs, and Camaros, I drove home in a hybrid family car. So a little razzing is definitely called for.

I'll just sob quietly while driving my Lotus. :fuckyeah:

Tl;dr

Should've gotten a Cadillac ELR, if you were going to blow your budget out of the water.

I was looking at those. Unfortunately, they were way out of my budget for this. This one was really toe-ing the line, but getting what is essentially a new car for a used car price was too good to pass up.

Pics as promised:

I like black cars, but I think these look much better in white.

31628883184_8de1b9f04c_b.jpg

31628870654_b0d263248a_b.jpg

32472328655_1cd253d8e6_b.jpg

31660737853_b6f5ff61e8_b.jpg

The tail lights come with a light smoke to them from the factory. Going to get a different plate...

31660620723_a2843cda2f_b.jpg

The white really makes the black accents pop. On a black car they would just disappear.

Played with Sport Mode a little. The gas pedal mapping becomes a lot more aggressive. I think it's also more ready to use both electric motors for acceleration. This car continues to surprise me with how much it doesn't suck.

WOW! Looks a lot better that I expected. Never really looked at them except for my neighbors 1st gen that he loves.

That looks like a Prius to me. Just like every other new car in the Chevy lineup, the last generation looked better.

I do like the wheels though

When I was first looking at them I got the Prius vibe from the styling also. But in person it looks a lot better. I do agree, however, that the 1st gen had a more unique style that I wish they had kept more of with the 2nd gen.

I think it will look better with black or dark grey wheels. But the odd 5x105 bolt pattern limits the options.

Do you live in an apartment with all these fancy cars? Is that Lakeview Square?

Yeah, I've had to make due. The STI sits at ZB's shop. The Lotus is in a storeage space now, but it'll end up in the garage at the new house. My daily I've been keeping in the garage at the apartment, but it's been a daily juggle with the wife's car getting it in and out. I'll be happy to stop doing that every day and having her in her own garage spot.

Looks like 2015 volts with under 1k miles on them are $25k, and 2014 volts with 8k on them are $15k. Depreciating $5k/year for very low mileage (4k/year) seems pretty brutal. That would pay for a TON of repairs on something like an e46m at the bottom of it's depreciation curve, or even a reliable commuter civic outright.

I don't get it man.

Hope we still see you at the track.

Looks nice!

The car he linked is a c4s which is most definitely AWD unless they ripped out the front diff for no good reason. C4s is the one to have in AWD as it has full turbo wide body, bumpers etc just in. NA package.

Dat Covert Tuning Dynamics Mod!

Cant hate on someone sacrificing a fun car to set themselves up for a home purchase. Half of CR needs to move out of their parents basement.

I took shit from CR for getting rid of a family car (Ford Fusion) and getting a Cadillac ATS and lowering my payment $55 a month.

Sometimes, you can't win.

Looks like 2015 volts with under 1k miles on them are $25k, and 2014 volts with 8k on them are $15k. Depreciating $5k/year for very low mileage (4k/year) seems pretty brutal. That would pay for a TON of repairs on something like an e46m at the bottom of it's depreciation curve, or even a reliable commuter civic outright.

I don't get it man.

Hope we still see you at the track.

You also have to take into account 2015 was the last year for the 1st gen and the 2nd gen has been reviewed as a better car in pretty much every way. So I can see the 1st gen values falling pretty fast.

I have every intention to see plenty of SOLO events in the Lotus, and of course another full season of RallyCross. I do hope to find time to get the Lotus out to Mid Ohio this year.

I took shit from CR for getting rid of a family car (Ford Fusion) and getting a Cadillac ATS and lowering my payment $55 a month.

Sometimes, you can't win.

The shit-flinging is part of CR's charm. It's not a good thread if someone doesn't get insulted on page 1.

Welcome to the Volt club.

I have a 1st gen that still gets about 85 MPGe. Put over 80k miles on this bad boy with ZERO problems.

We have charging stations at work I plug into every 2-3 days. I really only use gas when I go on road trips.

Welcome to the Volt club.

I have a 1st gen that still gets about 85 MPGe. Put over 80k miles on this bad boy with ZERO problems.

We have charging stations at work I plug into every 2-3 days. I really only use gas when I go on road trips.

I have heard that the 1st gen Volts were very reliable. I hope the same holds true for the 2nd gen.

There's no outside plugs I can use at my work. But I can't wait until I go to a shopping center with an EV parking spot. :)

Good luck buddy... I owned a 2012 Volt, which might go down in history as being the worst possible car ever produced.. Not only was it stupid expensive to run in the winter, but the constant repairs and broken parts was just incredible..

History:

Purchased the car Certified Pre-Owned with 11K miles on it, in 2014.

Paid 8,995 bucks for it..

figured how bad could it be..

In the summer, it was nice, loved the low end torque, loved the seats, and the space age electronics. Finicky at times, but still kinda cool.. Unfortunately the joy was short lived.. In the year i owned it i drove 18K miles, but not on the volt, i only put 6k miles on the volt in the year, due to the rest of the miles being put on GM rental cars, due to a constant flow of problems.. The first was the keyless start, the interior key module broke about 14 times that year, and the result of it breaking is, it wouldn't start after being plugged in, and wouldn't turn off after getting where you wanted to go. The Climate control broke, and wouldn't either heat or cool the car, both were replaced under warranty, only took 3 weeks to get the parts. The coolant system started to leak after that, and required them to replace some parts under the car, the dealership didn't drop the exhaust the correct way, which put a kink in it, and caused the pipe to crack before the cat, leaking exhaust into the car when driving, they replaced that shortly after with a new full exhaust system. The next fun time event was the steering column which actually separated in the worm gearing causing me to be able to spin the wheel at 60MPH on the highway without turning in any direction. Which resulted in a new column, would have been nice, but they replaced it with the same part and told me there is a known issue on all first generation volts, where over time the gearing pulls apart, and will cause the same issue.. so it's not if, it is when.. there was never a recall on it.. it's a TSB, and only affects certain cars.. The electrical system shorted out my house, which nuked the circuit in my home where the car was plugged in and melted the charger to the outlet.. GM indicated this was an issue with the first revision of the charging system. They replaced the charging cord.. and i had to pay out of pocket 2K to have the home electrical system fixed.. The Charge port door would stick, and not open, as a result it would throw a code, they indicated that the charge button needed to be pressed for 20 seconds to release the door correctly.. than wtf is the point of the button on the key.. shortly after that the engine developed a nice knock, which was due to a head gasket blow. Conveniently you could still drive on full electric, but in the first models the engine would automatically kick in to heat the car in the cold, so they told me to just drive it like that.. at 13K miles they replaced the engine under warranty. The electric windows next stopped working, and the air bag switch malfunctioned and caused the cars air bags to randomly enable and disable.. the door switch failed, telling the me door was open when it wasn't. The gas tank pressure system failed next, which caused the engine to die and when you were out of EV it would buck until it stopped, requiring the dealership to come scoop that pile of crap off the side of the road.. The last straw was when the head unit died, and due to the code, they told me it wasn't covered under certified warranty.. due to the programming on the unit, it is a 6K dollar replacement.. I ended up getting a lawyer and Suing GM for the time out of work, cost of rentals, and loss in resale due to all the issues.. won 12K dollars.. traded it in on a Toyota.. really hope you have better luck.. and don't have the same steering column issue.. In total the car was in the shop 47 times in 10 months..

As per the MPG.. It's not as good as anyone tells you.. it is possible that maybe my Volt was just f'd up... which isn't or wouldn't be a surprise.. But..

The first generation volt does 28 miles a charge, roughly.. (Summer-City Under 50mph)

at .07 per KWh it would take 12 hours to charge on 120V. Cost total minus transmission fees was .84 per 28 miles..

Highway it would do about 13 miles a charge at .07 per Kwh or .84 a charge.

Winter:

9 Miles per charge, charging is more expensive in the winter, as the recharge system in a volt has to run the coolant heater to keep the batteries at a specific temp. So that .84 is more like 1.00 a charge at 9 miles.. add in the cost of keeping the heater on in the car at 67 degrees and it's more like 7 miles per charge (city)..

Compare that cost to a toyota Camry which is not only about 20K less expensive to begin with new.. But just in MPG i get 32MPG city and 38MPG highway with the heat at 100+ (i like heat)

So that all being said..

The Volt in the winter at .07KWh = 1.00 per 9 miles traveled..

Toyota Camry in winter 32 miles per 1.80 per gallon..

Volt gas equivalent is 3.55 per 32 miles driven.. (That's only on electric cost, not adding in the cost of gasoline..

So... I just don't understand the point?