Jeep frame question

Mace1647545504

The TJ 97-06 frames rust out where the rear shackles mount, just a rust point where the weld is over time get worse and worse and can cause the frame to completely rot out, it got better with the body style changes in 07 and newer

This really isn't technical so I'm guessing it goes here.

Why do the wrangler frames so so bad? Are there certain years where it was worse? A year where it began getting better?

Thanks

mace

Because they galvanized the bodies but not the frames. Also there are a lot of places on a jeep frame where there is folded metal which is always a trap for moisture. Also AMC and then Chrysler tried to save money by buying the raw materials that was sometimes rusted prior to processing.

By the way, I don't know what you guys put on the roads here in Ohio but I've never seen stuff rust like it does out here. I've driven my jeep in the Atlantic Ocean surf and it didn't rust but 3 years on Ohio roads and I. Is have to replace major body panels.

Each generation has its own foibles. Forget anything with a CJ in the name. In the YJs 92-95 is when Chrysler started to do some rust prevention but not much, in the TJ, I think the 2004-6 trucks are better than some of the earlier ones but the tj frame rusts almost by design because of water collection points.

If you find a clean one....go visit that Krown place, or start Fluid Filming. At least gives it a fighting chance if its going to see winter. Being a Toyota guy, its the same problems...I know we've all heard about the frame replacements on Tacomas....they just go from the inside-out.

By the way, I don't know what you guys put on the roads here in Ohio but I've never seen stuff rust like it does out here. I've driven my jeep in the Atlantic Ocean surf and it didn't rust but 3 years on Ohio roads and I. Is have to replace major body panels.

The worst area is Northeastern United States (New England). Pretty much the more it snows and where salt is laid the worse the rust. It's almost worth it to look for vehicles in the southwestern US and have them shipped. Especially Jeeps or specialty vehicles

Had an '04 TJ from '06-'07, there was no excessive rust but it had less that 50k miles. Had an '01 TJ for a couple years after that with over 100k. There was some noticeable surface rust and places in the frame were getting gobbled up.

I'm getting ahead of the rust with my 2017 by getting it treated early. Some of the users on JK forums are reporting some light rust after a month or so of driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The worst area is Northeastern United States (New England). Pretty much the more it snows and where salt is laid the worse the rust. It's almost worth it to look for vehicles in the southwestern US and have them shipped. Especially Jeeps or specialty vehicles

New York tends to be excluded from that because most of the roads are sanded. From 1995 to 2013 I lived in NYC, Long Island, Rochester, and New Orleans. The worst my truck had in that time was in the hardtop doors window frame and a small hole where my heel had ground off all the paint on the floor board. In the frame the only problem area I had was where the skidplate/trans mount met the frame. From 2013 to 2017 (the time I have lived in ohio) major rot in the windshield frame, front fenders, floor boards, and dashboard has developed. In the frame I have started to notice surface rust on the frame rails by the shock pockets and shackle mounts.

One of the more common Rust out areas on YJs and Older TJs is here:

http://i.imgur.com/U2rTy.jpg

Water (and whatever else that gets sprayed into the frame from the tires) collects here and there is no drain hole to escape. The later TJs have a drain hole in this location and have fewer instances of frame rot in this area. Other areas of frame rot are the rail near the steering box on YJs and early TJs, the front and rear cross members (esp by the rear shackle mounts on YJs).

the good news is that rust is so common many places sell repair metal for the frame. Also, here in Columbus is a place called Rudy's CJ's where he goes through out the south west and buys up dry rust free CJs and YJs to part out to us NE and Midwest jeepers. If you have either of these it's worth checking into.

The reason I ask was I was thinking about buying an 04 Wrangler...I haven't seen it but think I'll pass

Before you ever buy one, get under it. They are extremely simple to work on, repair, upgrade, etc and the aftermarket is second to pretty much nothing. You can literally build a jeep with parts that show up from the UPS guy. We currently have 3 wranglers in the shop, 1 with an engine replacement, 1 with engine work/upgrades/frame repair, and 1 with brakes/exhaust work. Once it gets warm they are fun and worth it but don't buy one that's already gone or you'll be pouring money down a hole.

20170315_153815.jpg

net photo upload

Edited by 99StockGT

The reason I ask was I was thinking about buying an 04 Wrangler...I haven't seen it but think I'll pass

TJ's are the best of the old school inline 6 jeeps. If it has been taken care of rust should be minimal at best. It never hurts to take a look.

Honestly If I were in the market for another wrangler I would look at an 04-06 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited LJ. They just ride nicer and the extra room is great to have.