Wheel/Tire blowout on highway - ODOT/City reimbursement claim?

zeitgeist57

Hey, guys...did a quick search and didn't come up with anything specific...

I was just driving downtown from UA, Rt. 315 southbound across the 33 bridge and the Franklinton floodwall when I hit the bridge expansion joint and totally blew out both passenger side tires. Honestly, I've had tires blow out, airbags blow in the Lincoln, and sketchy weather emergencies (ice, rain, snow) but this was one of the scariest recoveries. My mind didn't even register, I wish I had a dashcam...my hands corrected-overcorrected-corrected in a split second as I was yawing on 315 thought I was gonna lose it...

http://www.imgur.com/L0LCMzkl.jpg

http://www.imgur.com/wciyHVAl.jpg

Anyway, had it flatbedded back to my house and tried to refill the rear wheel = hissing around the beads. Tried to refill the front wheel and hissing like it was in a can or tunnel. UH OH...check between the spokes and sure enough, there's a ruptured crack on the inside wheel barrell. So, looks like at least 2 tires, with a front wheel.

The StateFarm "Road Angel" safety dude gave me a "Communications Department" number of 614.466.7303, and I left a message with some guy named Andy's VM. I want to be sure to file any sort of claim I can to receive compensation for the wheel/tire damage. The StateFarm guy said that they've had problems with that stretch of highway anyway but he's not officially able to help anyway.

Has anyone done this process who can help guide me where to start and go from here? Thanks as always, CR!

Edited by zeitgeist57

FYI: the number I called was not the right one, but someone named Tricia called me back and got a claimed started. That was a lot faster than I expected.

Apparently they will review the area where it happened and determine whether it's an ODOT, municipality, or construction zone...then one of those parties will respond to the claim. Will keep CR updated.

I think they want people to file a report if you haven't. Claims info there too

https://www.dot.state.oh.us/damagereport/Pages/default.aspx

I thought there was some quirk (at least with potholes) that there had to be multiple reports to warrant claims...or maybe that was just to get it fixed.

I took 315S there down to 104 to head to Canal last weekend. I think I probably hit the same thing. BIG ol hit at one of the bridges there. I'm not blowing any tires on the FJ, but man it was a hit. I could only imagine on low-pros

I posted about this probably back in 2009. Was a few month process but i won.

Same thing they had to verify it was there area and that there was actually a pot hole....

Ironic was there was a odot crew fixing that stretch of highway just 300 yards behind this pot hole :lol:

Edited by Paul

I had a piece of concrete hit my hood and skip off the windshield on 71N on the exit to 270W from that first bridge you pass under. Just happened to be a time I was following a guy in a black S4 through there at about 75. Scariest moment of my driving career for sure. Blistered my hood bad and broke the windshield. I was off at crosswoods and sitting in the gas station parking lot before it really dawned on me what exactly had happened. If it hadn't hit the hood first and instead hit the windshield directly it would have killed me for sure. Not a good wreck into the guardrail at 70 with 20lbs of concrete and glass in your face anyways.

Anywhoo, I filed a claim on the gov't website and got an email, which went back and forth until it was pretty much "here's the information for small claims..." and that was all the cooperation I was getting. I had a baby on the way, had just started a new job, etc. and so I bit the $250 deductible bullet and went on with my life. I kinda hope someone comes along and sues them silly for those bridges/roads being crumbling shit and hurting someone. You can be that dude! Maybe your neck hurts a little too.

I think that thing has gotten worse recently. I live in the same area and used to drive over it daily, never had issues. Changed jobs, didn't go that direction for a few months, then a few weeks ago I was on my motorcycle around dusk and nearly browned my trousers when that bump almost tossed me.

Holy shit, I hit that beast yesterday in my ATS and my head damn near hit the roof. That is a wicked buckle man, no surprise that happened. Hopefully the city pays out for this- after all, our taxes help support these types of things.

Looks like the drivers side to me??

Glad you are OK!

Wow! Can't believe I put passengers' side! Yes, Gerg...it was both drivers' side wheels.

I did hear back from ODOT that the highway there is part of City of Columbus. Will file a new claim with them today.

Last year I hit a pot hole on 270S just before 670E. I mailed in a claim against ODOT, it had a repair order with cost of 2 tires, 2 wheels, and alignment. It's a $20 fee to file the claim. I ended up getting the full repair amount plus filing fee back. It took about 8 months all together, but it was worth it.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: I received a letter a couple of weeks ago, stating from the City of Columbus that they've closed out my claim and will be denying any reimbursement requests. This 3-page letter outlines that I certainly HAVE the right to request a reimbursement, but they outline the City Reg that says they're not liable for damages to property or people. Of course they arent. :rolleyes:

The Claims form states submitting TWO written shop estimates on damage costs, insurance info, etc etc...I've been driving the BMW on borrowed wheels/tires but bought a replacement wheel and new tires are on their way (honestly needed them anyway before the blowout). I'm probably going to let this die since I'm not going to be out more than $400 altogether. What DOES piss me off is they keep repairing that stretch of road, and I've seen 2-3 blown tires on the side of the road at more than one occasion that someone keeps getting rid of. :lol: Live to fight another day, keep karma on my side? Or, guns-blazing against the city?

Paul's "Small Claims Court" reminded me to update this thread. :)

Why did this go though the City and not Odot?

ODOT said that stretch of Rt. 315 between I-670 on the north side of downtown and I-70/71 is actually city-maintained highway. City of Columbus made me file a new claim, which the woman was pleasant enough and online tracking was simple, but this thing was open-shut within a few days. After I got the letter, I went online and saw that my claim was closed within days of being filed.

• 1 month later...

I bought 4 new tires from Amazon a week or so ago and had them installed without issue on the 3 old wheels and one new one this past Saturday. With both drivers' side wheels blowing out originally, the LR wheel took a pretty sizable smack from the same road-irregularity that cracked my front wheel, but it still held a bead and a balance just fine fine on the new tire.

Driving it was a great feeling again...what this 4-cyl lacks in torque, it makes up for in being a very fun 10/10ths throttle car.

The only issue I'm realizing now that the car is back on the road is that there is a very small squat in the LF corner of the car, and at highway speed it pulls to the left. I'm assuming this is due to it being knocked out of alignment.

Anyone recommend a shop for alignments, especially on a lowered car? Derek at Best One has always treated me well, but wanted opinions from CR. Thanks!

I bought 4 new tires from Amazon a week or so ago and had them installed without issue on the 3 old wheels and one new one this past Saturday. With both drivers' side wheels blowing out originally, the LR wheel took a pretty sizable smack from the same road-irregularity that cracked my front wheel, but it still held a bead and a balance just fine fine on the new tire.

Driving it was a great feeling again...what this 4-cyl lacks in torque, it makes up for in being a very fun 10/10ths throttle car.

The only issue I'm realizing now that the car is back on the road is that there is a very small squat in the LF corner of the car, and at highway speed it pulls to the left. I'm assuming this is due to it being knocked out of alignment.

Anyone recommend a shop for alignments, especially on a lowered car? Derek at Best One has always treated me well, but wanted opinions from CR. Thanks!

Austin at Lucore, dude has always treated me very well (must be all the hand jobs :p).

on a completely unrelated note...what were the wheels you went with again? too lazy to look back through this thread and Austin just called me to tell me 3 of my 4 wheels are bent.

Drag DR34's (multi-bolt pattern)

Drag DR37's (BMW single-pattern)

It was not my style of wheel, but they have grown on me with the look of the BMW and I didn't want to do all new wheels if I could get one replacement for cheap. $100 to have a 17x7.5 shipped to my house. Was decently impressed by the casting quality and light weight.

I've spent more on a ChinaBay set of 4 wheels for my old Passat years ago, and this brand (sold through America's Tire/Discount Tire chains) was good for a street wheel.