Good luck to anyone in the polaris area once Ikea opens

justinwebb

Looks like the plan is once traffic backs up to I-270 they will close both the polaris and gemini exits and send everyone to 36/37. Not sure what this accomplishes as it will just make that exit horrible as well. Glad I got out of the polaris Chase building in time.

http://www.dispatch.com/news/20170517/ikeas-opening-crowds-could-force-closings-of-interstate-71-exits

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who would go there anytime soon after it opens? One could probably drive down to Cincinnati, go to Ikea there and get back more quickly than trying to go to the new Columbus one anytime within the first month or so.

5 MILES between Polaris and 36/37. What kinda fucked up map are they using?

Way to go Dispatch, you never fail to meet exactly my expectations.

"hey boss, there's gonna be way too many goddamn people in the area for ikea, what do we do for the people who live here?"

"fuck 'em, shut down the highway exits and tell them to go the long way 'round."

"should we really be putting the needs of a multinational multibillion dollar corporation over the needs of local citizens"

"THAT SOUNDS LIKE COMMIE TALK TO ME"

"hey boss, there's gonna be way too many goddamn people in the area for ikea, what do we do for the people who live here?"

"fuck 'em, shut down the highway exits and tell them to go the long way 'round."

"should we really be putting the needs of a multinational multibillion dollar corporation over the needs of local citizens"

"THAT SOUNDS LIKE COMMIE TALK TO ME"

So the corporation is going to shut the highway down or the Government? :confused:

Polaris was a nightmare when Cabela's first opened too. Dublin has become a nightmare and is becoming even more of a nightmare to drive around anytime between the hours of 4-6pm and any given time on the weekends. Columbus is growing so fast the roads are having trouble catching up.

Polaris was a nightmare when Cabela's first opened too. Dublin has become a nightmare and is becoming even more of a nightmare to drive around anytime between the hours of 4-6pm and any given time on the weekends. Columbus is growing so fast the roads are having trouble catching up.

Because these stupid backward fucks are too shortsighted to build the roads first. All they do is build more and more without giving a shit about having the roads to support it all.

It's only going to get worse.

People will try and take 23 north to circumvent this.

We live in the Polaris area but luckily I work off-hours so traffic is never a concern for me. Though when the 23 interchange with 270 was partially complete my commute was quicker but at least 15 minutes. When its completely done it should be very quick to pass through that should only be another 10 years so there's that to look forward to.

So the corporation is going to shut the highway down or the Government? :confused:

Government's gonna shut down the exit to serve the needs of the corporation. Just like they named a street and put up a sign to serve the needs of the corporation.

I get it, some jobs are created, commerce is good for the area, they're making use of the former blight that was Polaris Amphitheater, no tax incentives etc. But I think it's unreasonable to ask local taxpayers to accept that they can't use the roads their tax dollars pay to maintain to accommodate the needs of the corporation.

"I just moved to a new development off of 36/37 to get away from the CRAAAAZY Columbus traffic!!1!1":no: You gotta herp before you derp. :lolguy:

My wife is excited that IKEA is coming to town...just happy that we're nowhere near there.

5 MILES between Polaris and 36/37. What kinda fucked up map are they using?

Way to go Dispatch, you never fail to meet exactly my expectations.

My first thought when reading this as well. Polaris is 10 miles almost exactly from 36/37.

Anyone working around Polaris those first weeks is fucked on the weekends, i don't see a weekday daily commute being any worse than normal though

I have a reverse commute going west to east on Cbus in the AM, the only time I ever see any slowdown is the I-71 exit. Same thing going east to west in the evening but twice as bad.

I am not looking forward to the extra volume, which can back up traffic as far back as the sawmill exit on 270 in the summer months already. I kinda think 270 needs an "express" lane for people in the left lane to keep the traffic moving through that corridor (from just past the 315 exit to the 161 exit would be ideal). There is no reason for left lane to be slowed to 20mph for a bunch of people trying to exit 3 lanes to the right.

Also I don't get the plan to close the exits and move people to the next exit down further, that just causes more congestion as people turn around and try to make their way back to the spot they passed on surface streets. Adding more volume to a surface street isn't a way to clear traffic on a highway. Why not just put up a sign and divert everyone one exit before the PPky/Gemini exit? This is ohio and if the way people queue at lights with dual left turn lanes is any indication, if they put up an "ikea this way sign" most drivers will follow it.

I am not looking forward to the extra volume, which can back up traffic as far back as the sawmill exit on 270 in the summer months already. I kinda think 270 needs an "express" lane for people in the left lane to keep the traffic moving through that corridor (from just past the 315 exit to the 161 exit would be ideal). There is no reason for left lane to be slowed to 20mph for a bunch of people trying to exit 3 lanes to the right.

270 could use an express lane everywhere. If you're on the northwest side and want to go south after 3pm, good luck. You'll be cruising right along at 75 and as soon as you hit the Tuttle exit, it's brake lights and stop/go for miles all the way to 70.

This is me for sure. Luckily my commute doesn't require using those exits but if I want to get on the highway I have to go by there. ...DOH.

like Greg I'm much more concerned with how bad it'll be on the weekends.

There is no reason for left lane to be slowed to 20mph for a bunch of people trying to exit 3 lanes to the right.

but if the road is no longer straight, it's not perfectly sunny or someone anywhere on the road hits their brakes, Columbus drivers must slow down to an unreasonable speed no matter what.

Columbus driving 101

but if the road is no longer straight, it's not perfectly sunny or someone anywhere on the road hits their brakes, Columbus drivers must slow down to an unreasonable speed no matter what.

Columbus driving 101

Yep.

Cbus drivers can't merge, and can't pay attention to their surroundings unless a cop or ambulance is on the side of the road. In that case, they all rubberneck and slow down to 35 so they can see what's going on. The rest of the time they are too busy screwing around on their phones or daydreaming while they are camped in the fast lane going 65, completely oblivious to the traffic surrounding them

It'll be a shitshow, and the .gov doesn't care because they put their corporate tax bux ahead of your convenience. Write your representatives, move out of the area, protest if that's your thing.

It won't change itself for the better, look at the abomination that's going on the west side of 270 right now.

MDF furniture sucks, fact! That place is will be filled with cheap ass hipsters, with full beards, flat bills, and vape pen in pocket, ordering furniture that will be broken by next year. I bet Trish and Nathan hold a Subaru meet there late summer early fall. :nod: