Another FNG

raging sloth

Please allow me to introduce myself. Call me Andy, everyone else does.

The Raging Sloth is just my screen name.

I have owned my Camaro for going on 23 years. It is a real COPO car, and is listed on the Yenko.net database. The motor is a correct replacement, as is the transmission but the rear end is born-with. This car is a driver, not a lawn ornament. I have taken it to car shows all over Columbus, and have run the car at Trails, Gateway International, and Beech Bend.

Hope to lurk here and maybe put my .02 in some times.

Thanks

Andy

OK, so this is the hood that came with the car. True story, my step-son won this car in a comic book contest, then signed the title over to me. The previous owner was a co-creator of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, had the painted by his artist, then gave away the car. The hood is on his living room wall, and I've been having fun for over 22 years driving a real COPO.

This is me at NTR about 7 years ago. 50 miles round trip from my house, and about a half a tank of gas. I can watch the gas gauge move going down the track.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a146/ameyers215/National%20Trails%20April2010/P4300005.jpg

Edited by Not Brian

nice.

9561 is the 427 package, 9737 is the sports car package, that makes it a double COPO - not many of those around.

Do you know what dealer the car was sold out of?

Is it a TH400 or an M22 car?

IIRC this was Kevin Eastman's personal car, right?

Hard to say if this was Kevin Eastman's personal car, as he owned a lot of cars back then. When I spoke with Kevin's dad about the car, back in 1994, he told me they bought it at swap meet in New Hampshire in '89, and they didn't know it was a COPO.

They bought a correct CE stamped 427 replacement motor, but did very little else. This car would not have passed an OSHP inspection when it was delivered to OHio. The brakes were shot, there were no horns, the wipers were broken,and they installed a Muncie 4 spd when this car was originally an M40

auto.

The car was black when they bought it, but it was a 71-71 LeMans blue when new. It was sold to Berger Chevrolet in Grand Rapids, MI, and is the last known COPO car ordered by them. How it got from GR to NH is a mystery.

Everything mechanical has been worked over, but the paint was laid down in the mid-80's. It's a twenty footer today, but it still holds a shine, which is good enough for me.:)

The Raging Sloth is just my screen name.

Thank you for clarifying. :lol:

Welcome! Beautiful ride you have there.

nice.

9561 is the 427 package, 9737 is the sports car package, that makes it a double COPO - not many of those around.

Do you know what dealer the car was sold out of?

Is it a TH400 or an M22 car?

IIRC this was Kevin Eastman's personal car, right?

http://i.imgur.com/OYTlvmC.gif

Hard to say if this was Kevin Eastman's personal car, as he owned a lot of cars back then. When I spoke with Kevin's dad about the car, back in 1994, he told me they bought it at swap meet in New Hampshire in '89, and they didn't know it was a COPO.

They bought a correct CE stamped 427 replacement motor, but did very little else. This car would not have passed an OSHP inspection when it was delivered to OHio. The brakes were shot, there were no horns, the wipers were broken,and they installed a Muncie 4 spd when this car was originally an M40

auto.

I'm always surprised by their car collection and taste in great cars. My brother and I met Kevin in 1995 and I had a great time talking about cars with him. I was a big Heavy Metal reader at the time and I think he had just purchased it a couple years before, and my brother was a huge ninja turtle fan (I think he still has signed #1 issues around somewhere).

The car was black when they bought it, but it was a 71-71 LeMans blue when new.

Lemans Blue IS the 1969 camaro blue color. That would be an outstanding car if you ever decided to repaint it back to original. Dad had a 1969 Z/28 in dusk blue that he ran in SCCA from 1969-1974, very pretty car but doesn't have the pop of lemans blue.

It was sold to Berger Chevrolet in Grand Rapids, MI, and is the last known COPO car ordered by them. How it got from GR to NH is a mystery.

Everything mechanical has been worked over, but the paint was laid down in the mid-80's. It's a twenty footer today, but it still holds a shine, which is good enough for me.:)

Oh the tales it could probably tell. I remember in 1997 in Rochester, NY a friend of mine bought a clapped out 1969 camaro with a 307 that turned out to be an X22 car (SS396) from the Van Nuys plant. An original NY car would have come from the Norwood, Ohio plant so we figure it must have come from out west. Back then those cars were tinker toys, in the 1980's there was a guy who lived down the street from me in Queens, NY who had three 1969 shells in his driveway, I think he ended up putting a 305 out of a 3rd gen in one of them.

you should bring the car out to cars and coffee at lenox this saturday. I would love the chance to drool all over it.

I would love to repaint the car, but then it would end up as a resto project. I keep hoping somebody will back into it or something, since the insurance has a 1 grand deductible and a paint job is $20k.

Kevin's dad is a vintage race car restorer and racer, so he came by his need for speed honestly. I also heard he was the CEO of the "More Money than Brains" club. I think he gave away the car because it was an unfinished project and he wanted to cut his losses.

The Grand Prize was the hood, and he probably figured he could keep the car. It took 6 months of wrangling to have his dad get a title for the car, in Maine. I would still like to ask Kevin some questions, but I doubt that will ever happen.

I get that its a driver, but wouldn't that insurance paid paint job end up costing far far more of the value than 20 grand? If its never been wrecked aren't they worth over 300 totally restored???

I don't know what he's complaining about....I saw the car at CCC on Saturday and the paint is way nicer than he described. I'm not sure even Tim would say it's a 20 footer and he corrects paint for fun and profit. Car is gorgeous.

The car was blue when built. I don't mind it being black, but a new paint job would have to be back to the original color, and stripping the car back to bare metal. I have been told that Imron can be bitch to strip, but what do I know? As long as it looks shiny when I go down the road, it's all good.

BTW, nice meeting you at Lennox.

• Casper unlocked this topic