Who can recharge A/C?

Yea pick up a few cans no need for a accurate measure of how much your putting in the system, he'll don't even vacuum test it's a waste of time and money.

Buy the diy can from Walmart and become a AC pro

biggest key is to not have excess air in the system. If the compressor starts kicking off or not running after it settles and has run a bit (maybe a few days), you may need to go back in, purge the sir from the valve while running until its spitting the Freon, then add some more / recheck pressure.

Steve is right, it needs to be done properly. Don't get caught bleeding it to atmosphere, it is illegal and you could be fined. I am waiting for the adapters to show up for 134a (my wifes car needs done), I could probably borrow the stuff from work and charge it for you some weekend (after my adapters show up) though you would probably need to get the cans to charge it.

The fact that some person who will likely not even read the instructions on the can of refridgerent can buy it, but I have to be licensed to be a professional working at a shop. If someone knew really how that system worked they'd understand how stupid ramming a can of shit in it is.

The fact that some person who will likely not even read the instructions on the can of refridgerent can buy it, but I have to be licensed to be a professional working at a shop. If someone knew really how that system worked they'd understand how stupid ramming a can of shit in it is.

due to the liability of the shop they have to have you licensed before you can do it. its like that for any service that any business sells.

due to the liability of the shop they have to have you licensed before you can do it. its like that for any service that any business sells.

I totally get that, but I don't think it should be sold to the public.

x2

Don't bother sucking the system down. Just keep putting it in until the air comes out cold.

Whats even scarier is G E A R H E A D is doing A/C stuff.

When I bought my S10 the air conditioning didn't work. Surprisingly, I added two cans of refrigerant (the regular stuff.....not the AC Pro with the "stop leak" additive BS) and it worked great for several months. I did the same thing this spring and it works flawless again. $15 a year to recharge it myself FTW.

That being said, I would still recommend taking it to a shop and having it properly fixed. If you need to recharge it, something's not right, there's gotta be a leak.

Years ago when GearhedRob was a sponsor here, I had him rebuild the rear end on my Camaro. I mentioned something about my AC not working, and he sent me to his brother's shop, called Hand Automotive or something. I told the guy to put the dye in when he charged it so we could find where the leak was. He didn't. I found that out a few days later when the AC quit again.

Ohhh the stories and experiences from selling these at Advance Auto over the years.

I worked at Advance and O'Reilly

We would get asked to put it in on Brice road all the freaking time.

It was great.:dumb:

Tim, call the NTB by my house on Stelzer and ask for Nick. He's a good friend of mine and getting ready to do mine too. I just put some dye in my system to find out where its leaking...finally ready to get it fixed for real and no more bandaids.

When I bought my S10 the air conditioning didn't work. Surprisingly, I added two cans of refrigerant (the regular stuff.....not the AC Pro with the "stop leak" additive BS) and it worked great for several months. I did the same thing this spring and it works flawless again. $15 a year to recharge it myself FTW.

That being said, I would still recommend taking it to a shop and having it properly fixed. If you need to recharge it, something's not right, there's gotta be a leak.

Years ago when GearhedRob was a sponsor here, I had him rebuild the rear end on my Camaro. I mentioned something about my AC not working, and he sent me to his brother's shop, called Hand Automotive or something. I told the guy to put the dye in when he charged it so we could find where the leak was. He didn't. I found that out a few days later when the AC quit again.

Hands radiator..i knew the guy he was a real ..well I wont say it..just that he sold a car to my ex and it blew up 2 months later and he screwed a lot of people

I worked at Advance and O'Reilly

We would get asked to put it in on Brice road all the freaking time.

It was great.:dumb:

Fortunately I was Sawmill/Bethel/Powell so had a pretty solid clientele but even still some of the situations.. yea..

Me :"Sir you aren't allowed to vent that, it's rather illegal"

Cust : "I just wanted to get all the old stuff out and then replace it with the new system I just bought from you guys"

/facepalm

• 4 weeks later...
Turns out the compressor is bad. Two quotes so far, $800 & $1100. For a car that only has a trade-in value of $1500, it doesn't makes sense to me to get it fixed, but the wife wants to hold onto this car for as long as possible. I have no desire to pay $1100 or even $800 to get the compressor swapped out.