SpeedoDRD 2.0 Design

12oclocker

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just talked to 12 about his latest design. After much confusion on trying to figure out my speedohealer and all the switches I have to flip up and down (Dustin actually figured it out), I must say that 12's design is near impossible to program % error wrong. It makes speedo healer look like junk. If he gets honda connectors, I'm ditching my speedo healer on ebay and using this Speedofix

Nice work. What's the cost if someone wanted to buy one?

they should be around $50 or less with factory connectors, ready to plug and go ;)

Edited by 12oclocker

Good God you are one smart guy 12, that shit amazes me. Great Job. I smell a PC comming out from 12 o clock labs soon

fuel computers are really overblown in perceived complexity. By far the most advanced part of the PCIII is actually the USB interface, which is sad considering how easy a USB device structure is to implement. The actual computer part is nothing more than a 2-D LUT with one dimension coming from a pulse period counter, and the other from an A2D converter.

as a matter of fact, ACTEL has some great FUSION FPGAs that I've used before that are absolutely perfect for creating fuel computers. They're actually mixed-signal FPGAs that have A2Ds and them for throttle position conversion, and they have hardwired FLASH cores that can hold LUTs. Throw in a firmware instantiated USB device core, and you have a one-chip fuel computer solution.

Edit, did a quick lookup of parts you'd need to make this....

the POL voltage conversions take up more room than the chip itself, but all things accounted for, you could have a more powerful fuel computer than a PCIII in a PCB that's probably 1"x2".

Edited by jarvismb

as a matter of fact, ACTEL has some great FUSION FPGAs that I've used before that are absolutely perfect for creating fuel computers. They're actually mixed-signal FPGAs that have A2Ds and them for throttle position conversion, and they have hardwired FLASH cores that can hold LUTs. Throw in a firmware instantiated USB device core, and you have a one-chip fuel computer solution.

the POL voltage conversions take up more room than the chip itself, but all things accounted for, you could have a more powerful fuel computer than a PCIII in a PCB that's probably 1"x2".

I could build the PCIII in a single smt chip, and make it the size of a quarter, I may not mess with that for a while though, there is a lot more testing involved and no margin error allowed.

I am going to make a Digital Oscilloscope which talks to my Laptop for taking Snapshot's of waveforms and saving video's and pics of the waveforms in realtime to my PC. I actually planned on doing this already, but decided to do the speedofix2.0 first since I already had the parts for the new speedofix design.

Where do I send the paypal? How soon can you ship? 05 'busa please! I'm about to go +3 in the rear and need one!

very very soon, I plan on having some units completed by this coming weekend. I will post up when they are ready :D

Edited by 12oclocker

I could build the PCIII in a single smt programmable chip, and make it the size of a quarter, I may not mess with that for a while though, there is a lot more testing involved and no margin error allowed.

of course everything involved in the logic would be single-chip, but there's always more involved than the logic. The IO interface takes up room, connectors and all, and you need POL voltage conversion, which requires real estate too. Of all the boards I've built, I can't think of a single one that was a one-chip solution that ended up being one chip on a board. Nothing currently works that way, but we're getting closer. Things like mixed-signal ASICs/FPGAs/MCUs are making headway, but we still always need support architecture.

fuel computers are really overblown in perceived complexity. By far the most advanced part of the PCIII is actually the USB interface, which is sad considering how easy a USB device structure is to implement. The actual computer part is nothing more than a 2-D LUT with one dimension coming from a pulse period counter, and the other from an A2D converter.

of course everything involved in the logic would be single-chip, but there's always more involved than the logic. The IO interface takes up room, connectors and all, and you need POL voltage conversion, which requires real estate too. Of all the boards I've built, I can't think of a single one that was a one-chip solution that ended up being one chip on a board. Nothing currently works that way, but we're getting closer. Things like mixed-signal ASICs/FPGAs/MCUs are making headway, but we still always need support architecture.

:confused::confused::wtf::wtf:

When I say a single chip, I mean 1 chip, with a few little parts, maybe a resistor here or there, I mean its the only IC on the board.

SpeedoFix2.0 is 1 chip, that's it.

We don't need support architecture for anything. It's done for cost reasons. I can buy a chip that does 'almost everything' for a project, then I fill in the gaps with support parts.

If I really want to get rid of the few external resistors and caps,

one of my good friends at TI works in chip fab, and If I wanted, I could have everything put into a single chip smaller than an eraser head, but it would take over a million dollars to fab, and at least a year or 6months engineering work, so its not really feasible cost wise to me.

Edited by 12oclocker

very very soon, I plan on having some units completed by this coming weekend. I will post up when they are ready :D

sweet, I'd much rather support a local rider than someone on the other side of the world :D Let me know, I'll gladly be order #0001