Need to make 18"w x 36"d holes for concrete anchors

zeitgeist57

Not sure if anyone has some tool recommendations, or equipment they want to rent to a CR member...

As part of my carport project (see link below), the manufacturer recommends 18" diameter concrete pillions that are 36" deep for each of the six 3"x3" columns supporting the metal roof and bracing. I'm all about dat DIY-life, but I grossly underestimated the equipment and tools needed to break through a 2" asphalt driveway and bore these holes. :lol:http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126188&highlight=carport

Sunbelt recommends breaking up the asphalt (their augers don't have teeth to cut through the asphalt) and then using either the teeter-totter or Toro Dingo-style one-man augers. Cost will be about $160-$400 and I would need a truck with a trailer hitch.

Dingo:

22317lcb2009_dg22317_aph_r_22,-d-,jpg.ashx?mw=253&mh=216&hash=514660EB3F458099693CD47A929268B4623E4D00

Tow-behind:

http://www.windhamequipment.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/W-02.jpg

Happy to do it, but before I go that route, does anyone have tool recommendations as alternatives? I don't mind taking more time to do this myself (especially not having to worry about a daily-rental fee), and I have a large air compressor and 220v for larger power tools. I already plan on using my air chisel and bits to break a hole in the asphalt.

EDIT: I do know that I can use a two-man gas-powered auger, but the recommended limit on that is 12" diameter.

Thanks in advance!

Tow-behind:

http://www.windhamequipment.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/W-02.jpg

I used this to dig 34 holes for a friends fence she was installing. This is sold as a 1 man unit but to do it properly i'd recommend 3 guys, 1 to remove debris, and 2 to push down and keep the auger going in straight. it works good, but not for 1 person.

That Dingo looks badass and i'd recommend it for a 18" diameter hole, we were doing 8" holes and it was all that unit wanted due to clay in the soil.

nothing to add here other than nutter hardware has heavy equipment rental and more collective experience under one roof than all of the home depots in the state. Might want to pop your head in there and ask them what they recommend.

IIRC asphalt gets really soft when heated. might not be the worst thing to take the oxy torch out to the spot your want to drill through and hit it for a few minutes before plunging anything in. wear a mask, you don't want to breathe hot asphalt.

Thanks, everyone!

My FiL has a post-hole digger...I'm inclined to go that route as they're deep, but not a lot of holes. I'll try one hole tonight and see how it goes...

Props if you finish one tonight...

Props if you finish one tonight...

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

Ukk2m8wl.jpg

TneUKxtl.jpg

36" deep hole. Proud papa...tough to do a Captain Morgan pose when your legs are locked in a hole in the ground. :lol:

ONLY 5 MORE TO GO...

:dumb::no::dumb::no::yuno::fuuuu:

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

Ukk2m8wl.jpg

TneUKxtl.jpg

36" deep hole. Proud papa...tough to do a Captain Morgan pose when your legs are locked in a hole in the ground. :lol:

ONLY 5 MORE TO GO...

:dumb::no::dumb::no::yuno::fuuuu:

INB4 back surgery thread.

Given there is already a long crack in the blacktop driveway, is digging multiple holes through it going to cause the black top to crumble during the winter from movement? BTW... I am secretly jealous of all the parking spots for projects.

Given there is already a long crack in the blacktop driveway, is digging multiple holes through it going to cause the black top to crumble during the winter from movement? BTW... I am secretly jealous of all the parking spots for projects.

It may, but my plan was eventually to rip up the asphalt and do either concrete or pavers at some point in the future. However, after this fucking job I have a newfound respect for this driveway. This base is ridic.

Also, if you're looking at that huge crack in the middle of the carport, that's actually an extension off of the original driveway that the owner put in 15 or so years ago. You're looking at the transition mark.

I'm likely going with the 12" auger. I'll just at least get a 12"x36" hole and then wallow out the hole until I get an 18" diameter. I don't mind the digging, but breaking my way through rock and clay for 36" depth is too much to do 5 more times. I need to have a hole started out that I can widen.

I called Absolute Steel and the guy I've been working with did confirm that they over-engineered the width :yuno: but he also reminded me that I submitted their drawings for building permit approval....so I kinda f**ked myself into a corner and have to stick with it. :lol: