Model 3 is arriving

STEVE-O

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty sure they're only delivering 30 of them for now. Even if it's more than that, they've been very clear that the initial deliveries will be to CA and NY, with the rest of the country getting them in 2018.

Remember when Mercedes decided to build cars to a budget and we ended up with the monstrosity that was the ML320?

My FiL bought a Model S 90D a year ago and he and my MiL love it. They put $1k on reserve for a Model 3.

I would definitely consider buying a Model 3 in a couple years, after they are rolled out and my CTS-V gets longer in the tooth (it's at 118k miles and growing :D)

Tesla really does make an awesome product. I'm very impressed with the engineering.

My FiL bought a Model S 90D a year ago and he and my MiL love it. They put $1k on reserve for a Model 3.

I would definitely consider buying a Model 3 in a couple years, after they are rolled out and my CTS-V gets longer in the tooth (it's at 118k miles and growing :D)

Tesla really does make an awesome product. I'm very impressed with the engineering.

Great powertrain, shitty interior, good chassis, numb steering, Autopilot is cool (haven't driven a HW2 car yet).
Ships out tomorrow was wondering if anyone here was on the list to get one. I really want a tesla but know it's still a year or 2 away for me unless I come across a great deal somehow
It will be a year or two before mass deliveries of the Model 3 anyway. The first 30 people got their cars, all of whom are Tesla employees. No one else will probably get a car until the end of the year, and even then the production run this year will be small.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Considering they are being limited by a number of batteries attainable and them trying to finish the gigabyte factory.. its gonna be a slowe delivery. I saw on news the otehr day they have over 400K deposits currently.. and only about 100K batteries available.. (musk said so as much himself)

that list is gonna be slow filled

I would love to own one in the near future. I wonder what the true battery life is on the 3. That would be my only hesitation in buying used. How does it hold its value, would the cost of replacing the battery be more than the worth of the car, etc...

I wonder if this first order of 30 is to work out the real world 'kinks' of daily driving. The list is made up of mostly, if not all, Tesla employee's so it's a focus group that won't take to their blog to complain about every little issue.

As a day 1, in-store reservation holder, mine is estimated for a December-February delivery for a first production. I originally wanted to opt for the AWD but I don't think I can wait that long. After a few years Ill upgrade to it if needed.

Is there anyone else on here that is purchasing one?

Great powertrain, shitty interior, good chassis, numb steering, Autopilot is cool (haven't driven a HW2 car yet).It will be a year or two before mass deliveries of the Model 3 anyway. The first 30 people got their cars, all of whom are Tesla employees. No one else will probably get a car until the end of the year, and even then the production run this year will be small.

How alarmed are the OE's with this product?

Reports are stating 1800 deposits a day right now...

As a day 1, in-store reservation holder, mine is estimated for a December-February delivery for a first production. I originally wanted to opt for the AWD but I don't think I can wait that long. After a few years Ill upgrade to it if needed.

Is there anyone else on here that is purchasing one?

Once production gets sorted I will order one.

Excited for the future of EV for daily driving purposes.

How alarmed are the OE's with this product?

Reports are stating 1800 deposits a day right now...

I think it remains to be seen how many of these deposits will be converted into actual sales. It's also hard to extrapolate the number of reservations as true demand for a $35k EV, since there is so much hype around Elon, much like the cult following of Apple. (If the Model 3 was called the Dodge 3 it would not have the same success) There are major supply chain concerns with large scale manufacturing of LiIon batteries that may keep prices high or cause shortages. They also have yet to prove it can be profitable.

I think other companies are closely watching, some are following Teslas lead, some are launching sub-brands to compete directly. Electrification of powertrains is here to stay and will proliferate across all model lines, but how many are BEV vs HEV/PHEV remains to be seen.

I think it remains to be seen how many of these deposits will be converted into actual sales. It's also hard to extrapolate the number of reservations as true demand for a $35k EV, since there is so much hype around Elon, much like the cult following of Apple. (If the Model 3 was called the Dodge 3 it would not have the same success) There are major supply chain concerns with large scale manufacturing of LiIon batteries that may keep prices high or cause shortages. They also have yet to prove it can be profitable.

They are going to produce their own batteries, so there is that.

Your analogy with Mac is right, if the Model 3 is their iPhone then what will that push the competition to do?

It'll all go to complete shit when the factory workers unionize and drive the production costs through the roof.

Elon thinks he can deliver half a million cars per year. Tesla is, essentially, a startup still. Half a million cars. Their infrastructure may support it, but I know for absolute certain I would not buy the first generation of something that had well-publicized labor disputes regarding working conditions, and was quickly transitioned from producing another vehicle to a completely new platform of vehicle.

I, for one, am grateful to the half million beta testers that are putting up the capital to make sure that when I get my Tesla in 10 years, it's much cheaper and much better tested than whatever they're producing now.

Your analogy with Mac is right, if the Model 3 is their iPhone then what will that push the competition to do?

Resources in the US are limited. With today's mining operations it's unknown what volume of 300 mi BEV's is possible to supply, but they are already predicting shortages and we are only at a small fraction of total automotive sales.

I think you will see some more BEVs come into the market, everything will be a HEV, and there will be a lot more PHEVs. Everyone will be adding more tech features and wireless communication. This is my prediction for 2020-2022.

The thing is, the iPhone was completely new to the world and no one else could touch it.

Chevy Bolt already beat the Model 3 to market. i3 has been around for several years and you can lease one for pennies.

Tesla is coming to market with a fantastically marketed but middlingly competitive product. It's nothing like an iPhone.

It'll all go to complete shit when the factory workers unionize and drive the production costs through the roof.

Elon thinks he can deliver half a million cars per year. Tesla is, essentially, a startup still. Half a million cars. Their infrastructure may support it, but I know for absolute certain I would not buy the first generation of something that had well-publicized labor disputes regarding working conditions, and was quickly transitioned from producing another vehicle to a completely new platform of vehicle.

I, for one, am grateful to the half million beta testers that are putting up the capital to make sure that when I get my Tesla in 10 years, it's much cheaper and much better tested than whatever they're producing now.

At the height of production for GM/Toyota that plant put out ~428k vehicles, all built on the same platform and sharing parts. He now builds 3 models there, on 3 different platforms and the S and X are far more difficult to build than a Corolla. I think 500k vehicles will be challeging to say the least.

The volt is the flip phone of EV's

The Teslas are very much the iPhone of the car industry. It's not a "better" car, it's sexier. If you guys don't understand that, than we can't talk about this anymore.

They are terrifying all the old guards.

The Teslas are very much the iPhone of the car industry. It's not a "better" car, it's sexier. If you guys don't understand that, than we can't talk about this anymore.

I said Bolt, not Volt.

Sexy is entirely subjective. Teslas look like Hyundais to me.

Terrifying is harsh. Like Mallard said, I am not convinced these LI batteries are the solution, maybe a short term pivot.

I think they are just forcing the big car companies to be more competitive and continue to invest and develop new tech which only benefits us the consumers. I think Tesla can come into the the space and be a player down the road and you may see one of the big car makers get swallowed up, but that is all...

so...what's the expectation for the model 3? Are people expecting it to be the dragstrip bully the model S with the ludicrous speed mode is? because I don't see it.

the Model 3 is as fast as an acura TL and an audi q5 (5.6 0-60 time) and the ludicrous speed option is only going to shave .3-.6 seconds off that (to put this in perspective the model S 0-60 is 2.8 seconds in ludicrous speed but closer to 3.2 seconds with out it). It feels like people are getting excited over an electric version of a Toyota Camry SE (also a 5.6 second 0-60 car).

I said Bolt, not Volt.

Sexy is entirely subjective. Teslas look like Hyundais to me.

Bolt, Volt, Molt - whatever any other car company wants to call their EV

You also have an android. Sooooo....

You could think the Model S looks like a Hyundai, but 10's of millions of other people that would buy one do not.

You could think the Model S looks like a Hyundai, but 10's of millions of other people that would buy one do not.

or maybe they do, millions of people buy hyundai's every year (new and used) - who is to say the model three isn't poaching sales from them? It's as much a car enthusiast car as a Nissan leaf.

Also pre-orders are right around 455,000 counting the 63,000 cancellations. hardly 10s of millions.