(614)363-6239 - Telemarketers

zeitgeist57

Srsly, f**k this phone number.

I get SOOOOOOO many spam phone calls on my cell phone I have trouble fielding any call from a number I don't recognize. Anyone else having that problem?

I swear I've submitted my number to the Do Not Call Registry. Such a pain in the arse.

I know you can block a specific number on iPhones. I believe you can also call your provider and have them block it as well. I get calls on my work phone everyday from a random (740)213-xxxx number myself and there's nothing I can do since it's a different number every time.

Yes...looking at my history I get nearly one call a day from (614)363-62xx.

I also get calls now from the same area code and prefix (first 3 numbers) as my own cell number, so I really have to just send stuff to my VM and hope legit callers leave a VM. I talk to a lot of people and this is how they operate as well.

It's funny how cellphone voicemails will probably make a comeback in 2017+, thanks to this garbage. :lol:

Is that number similar to your phone number?

I get a lot of calls early in the morning from phone numbers that look like mine. Dad also gets calls from numbers similar to his.

I think the idea is you're more likely to pick up if the number looks like your own, maybe to make it seem more legitimate. It's nothing more than a spoofed number probably done automatically based on the number being dialed.

Example, if my number was 123-456-7890, I'd be getting calls from 123-456-7908.

Is that number similar to your phone number?

I get a lot of calls early in the morning from phone numbers that look like mine. Dad also gets calls from numbers similar to his.

I think the idea is you're more likely to pick up if the number looks like your own, maybe to make it seem more legitimate. It's nothing more than a spoofed number probably done automatically based on the number being dialed.

Example, if my number was 123-456-7890, I'd be getting calls from 123-456-7908.

This happens to me often. Not many people around c-bus that I've met have the same first 3 digits of my cell number so it's easier for me to pick up on now.

There was an interesting piece on NPR recently about Neighbor Spoofing (making a sales call with caller information that looks local).

http://www.npr.org/2017/07/31/540515367/familiar-looking-numbers-are-the-latest-twist-in-robocalls

Since what they are doing is already illegal (you can't robocall to sell someone something), they don't really care if the rest of it is illegal too. The do not call registry will not help you here, and to be honest there is no good way to enforce anything - if they stop one robocalling operation it just pops up again somewhere else using a new number.

The best thing you can do at the moment is to not answer.

No. Overview on what that is? If it helps, I'll look into it. :)

Heres the long version https://www.lifewire.com/truecaller-app-4047272

Short version when a spam call comes in it will say "Spam" or something similar and I ignore the call.

If a call comes in lets say my dentist thats reminding me about my appointment I can "see"its Dr X and pick up.

No. Overview on what that is? If it helps, I'll look into it. :)

Not to be a wet blanket about this but you should read the privacy concerns about it with respect to your phone book. I would love to use this but how I have my phone book setup it isn't compatible with work's privacy policy concerning fellow employees.

I DL'd Truecaller and an incoming call didn't say anything. Is it supposed to be automatic? Should I reboot the phone?

Kerry, WTF are you talking about? I'm aware of the privacy concerns, but don't you have a corporate portal like the Good app?

I DL'd Truecaller and an incoming call didn't say anything. Is it supposed to be automatic? Should I reboot the phone?

Kerry, WTF are you talking about? I'm aware of the privacy concerns, but don't you have a corporate portal like the Good app?

Yes but I also have some co-workers in my cell outside good with notes about them. I also have older contacts from my other businesses. Fir some of my coworkers I have their internal desk phone numbers which are not public info and the company has been very clear about not making public.

Take your contact info for example, do you really want me uploading your name, the bank you work for, your wife's name, your home and work phone and your address to this app? And more so do I want to be responsible for having done that even if you are already in their system?

I don't know why but all 516 cell numbers were listed as originating in Mineola a long time ago. I've had my number pretty near 20 years so...

My cell I'm less concerned about, its other information that I might not want circulated

There was an interesting piece on NPR recently about Neighbor Spoofing (making a sales call with caller information that looks local).

http://www.npr.org/2017/07/31/540515367/familiar-looking-numbers-are-the-latest-twist-in-robocalls

Since what they are doing is already illegal (you can't robocall to sell someone something), they don't really care if the rest of it is illegal too. The do not call registry will not help you here, and to be honest there is no good way to enforce anything - if they stop one robocalling operation it just pops up again somewhere else using a new number.

I believe I heard the same story. Even the head of the FCC gets these calls and he is pissed and actively investigating this matter.

Best thing you can is write your senator.

It happens all the time with all of our verizon cell phones. Even our work ones. And it is always a robodialer. When they ask you a question start saying weird shit to troll whoever listens. The lady asked me if I was someone in need of assisted living services and I told her I love big beefy spaghetti meatballs. There was a pause and she said she didn't understand what I said. So I told her BIG BALLSSSS. The robot hung up on me.