Dual battery truck question..

1Quik7

So I recently picked up a Powerstroke for a good deal and today decided to upgrade the sound system. Well, when I was hooking my power wire up to the driver side battery, I noticed when I unhooked the positive lead...I lost power? Should I ever lose power with just 1 battery disconnected? I thought they were parrallel and acted like just a big battery...

The main reason I ask is I've recently been having crank no start issues, fuel/oil pressure good, yada yada....but a jump fires it right up.

Well I went to AutoZone and they tested good, which means literally nothing since they've told me that before and a brand new battery fixed a previous issue. But I asked them if I needed to isolate the battery...of course they said no.

Welcome to the Powerstroke world! :) And yes you should have power with just one battery connected, how old are the batteries in there? Are they matched or no? Often times people will cheap out on buying batteries and just toss 1 good one in while the other limps along... until it doesn't.

same way on my duramax....you get the dual batteries in parallel to provide starting amps and glow plug amps but only one powers the other electronics. If memory serves me correctly it's reverse on my truck.....I can unhook drivers side and not lose power to radio and things but will if I uhook passenger side.

Welcome to the Powerstroke world! :) And yes you should have power with just one battery connected, how old are the batteries in there? Are they matched or no? Often times people will cheap out on buying batteries and just toss 1 good one in while the other limps along... until it doesn't.

Batteries are fairly new, I believe from this year, and they match. It has not been driven much; if the oil change info is correct it got about 3k miles since last July. I only drive about a mile to work, so that may be the issue of why they are low.

Depending on the year of the truck, that may be causing your hard start issues. Short trips less than 10 min are hard on older diesels (not sure about the newer ones). Doesn't give them enough time to warm up and burn off nasties that build up over time. I would suggest running some Diesel clean through the tank to clean things up a bit. Might help with getting some easier starts. This will also help if you are getting some algae growth in the fuel tanks. It is common in older diesel that has been sitting to start growing unwanted stuff lol.

Also some power strokes require you to hold the gas on at start (half pedal in warm weather/ floored in cold). This again applies more to the older ones than new, but may help.

So I recently picked up a Powerstroke for a good deal and today decided to upgrade the sound system. Well, when I was hooking my power wire up to the driver side battery, I noticed when I unhooked the positive lead...I lost power? Should I ever lose power with just 1 battery disconnected? I thought they were parrallel and acted like just a big battery...

The main reason I ask is I've recently been having crank no start issues, fuel/oil pressure good, yada yada....but a jump fires it right up.

What year? 6.0 or 7.3?

I'm fairly certain on mine (2006) if I unhook the passenger side I will lose all power, but the driver side I won't. I believe the driver side is only hooked to the passenger battery and not to any of the fuse blocks. So not sure depending on what year you have if its the same or reverse. So that means if the passenger battery is bad, then only the driver side is powering it and when you unhook it, everything will lose power.

Basically test them individually, never does any good to test the batteries together. If you drive short trips, maybe invest in a trickle charger to keep a charge on them.