Deck Stain/Sealants....Looking for suggestions

Bam

I rebuilt my deck and want to 'seal' the wood now. I do NOT want anything with color in it as I like the natural wood color but also want to prevent it from fading as much as possible. Anyone have experience with like a clear sealant or something? Preferably low maintenance and cheap, haha, but I'm realistic.

Built a pressure treated deck in November of 2015. May of 2016 I use wood cleaner and let the proper drying time happen. I watched the weather for three warm and dry days with temps over 60, in fact they were in the mid 70's. Used Thompson's Water Seal. By Fall of 2016 it was chipping and flaking off. We used a very light tint, almost a clear.

Redid the whole thing this year with deck over. 6x thicker than paint. 4.5 gal was $150. It was a pain in the ass to put on, but it fixed my issue. Needed two coats.

That said, I also built a dock on our pond this year and used composite decking. Waited for Menards to have the 11% rebate deal, and caught it on sale. Still cost a damn fortune, but I have decided I will go with composite from now on. Staining is a pain. Staining not working and taking up my time and money to redo just pisses me off. Would rather pay more for the composite decking and be done with it.

Edited by Mojoe

Linseed Oil?

I'm just glad we rebuilt with pavers. Good luck.

Will look into it, thanks for the info. I looked into pavers/concrete but for the time we'll be here it wasn't worth the investment.

Treated or cedar?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Treated.

Built a pressure treated deck in November of 2015. May of 2016 I use wood cleaner and let the proper drying time happen. I watched the weather for three warm and dry days with temps over 60, in fact they were in the mid 70's. Used Thompson's Water Seal. By Fall of 2016 it was chipping and flaking off. We used a very light tint, almost a clear.

Redid the whole thing this year with deck over. 6x thicker than paint. 4.5 gal was $150. It was a pain in the ass to put on, but it fixed my issue. Needed two coats.

That said, I also built a dock on out pond this year and used composite decking. Waited for Menards to have the 11% rebate deal, and caught it on sale. Still cost a damn fortune, but I have decided I will go with composite from now on. Staining is a pain. Staining not working and taking up my time and money to redo just pisses me off. Would rather pay more for the composite decking and be done with it.

Thanks for the info on Thompsons. And yeah I hear you on the composite stuff, but similar to the paver/concrete idea, it just wasn't worth it for our situation.