Looking for Porsche mechanic for PPI

El Karacho1647545492

A friend of mine is looking at a 2004 Boxster S for sale, I don't know much about the deal but I told him for any Porsche he'll want a professional to inspect it for him and let him know any potential upcoming service items or concerns.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Shy of a dealership I would say somewhere like Auto Assets in Powell, those guys do a TON of Porch-a work. If it's something more general as in inspecting brakes/steering/suspension and the like there are a few quality shops around that could certainly help you.

He's an old guy who has had all manner of cars, he just wants a small sporty convertible that's not a Miata or S2k, he's already had those and wants to switch it up.

Tell him to get a BMW then

Seriously the boxster is terrible and he can probably find a z3 for the same cost

Why is the boxster terrible? Its a terrific drivers car. So incredibly well balanced. Its way more car then a Z3 Miata. I like them a lot

2.5 engines had issues with cylinder liners, rear main oil seal will fail.

Then also they also have IMS bearing issue as well

Let's then see coolant issues of water pump failure and even causing the heads to crack on extreme yes but usually if a coolant system fails the engine gets hot very quick so there is that do worry about also

Let's continue shall we , they can also be known to crack exhaust manifolds, depending on the wheels they get very bad corrosion like the Toyota wheels or the GM chrome SUV wheels.

Now by no stretch at i saying a z3 doesn't have its own issues either but they are much easier to deal with and handle

2.5 engines had issues with cylinder liners, rear main oil seal will fail.

Then also they also have IMS bearing issue as well

Let's then see coolant issues of water pump failure and even causing the heads to crack on extreme yes but usually if a coolant system fails the engine gets hot very quick so there is that do worry about also

Let's continue shall we , they can also be known to crack exhaust manifolds, depending on the wheels they get very bad corrosion like the Toyota wheels or the GM chrome SUV wheels.

Now by no stretch at i saying a z3 doesn't have its own issues either but they are much easier to deal with and handle

The BMW will need the whole cooling system replaced at 100k including the plastic impeller on the water pump if it hasn't already come apart as well as it'll crack the damn plastic tanks on the radiator as well.

...then it'll eat the Vanos unit

...then it'll pop a head gasket right about 100k as well even if you've addressed all the cooling issues. If you can get past all of that you're still driving a car with E30 rear suspension geometry which is some of the worst design ever to be produced by BMW.

'04 Boxster S is a 3.2 and has none of the cylinder liner issues...most of those were all pre 2001 cars anyhow. People just need to get over the IMS issue...consider it a maintenance item similar to a timing belt, concede it needs to be done and spend the $1500 or so to do it. Replace the RMS while you're in there and you've got a solid car for years to come.

I can't stand convertibles so none of these cars appeal to me...particularly the boxster but I've driven several of them and they are WAY better than you'd expect them to be and for the current money are a fantastic bargain int he market.

If you can get past all of that you're still driving a car with E30 rear suspension geometry which is some of the worst design ever to be produced by BMW.

I'm curious about this statement, is it because you think all trailing arm or semi-trailing arm suspensions are just junk? or is there something else BMW does that makes the e30 design extra bad?

There are plenty of aftermarket parts to correct for the trailing arm setup's flaws (change in toe and camber under hard cornering), and there have been plenty of successful E30 race cars in a variety of sports. they kept evolving the design in the e36 and e46, and despite it's transition from under steer to over steer it's quite forgiving for a road car.

Kraftworks for sure. A lot of Porsche guys recommended him to my father when he picked up his 911. He does great work and is very detail oriented.

Is that the shop down near Cincy run by Mark Schlachter?

If so, I know his son. I know that father and son had a huge falling out, and his son is a giant doucher.

Is that the shop down near Cincy run by Mark Schlachter?

If so, I know his son. I know that father and son had a huge falling out, and his son is a giant doucher.

Nope, up in Marengo

One of the few shops around certified by flat six innovations to install IMS retrofits. Good reputation, never used them personally.

Nope, up in Marengo

One of the few shops around certified by flat six innovations to install IMS retrofits. Good reputation, never used them personally.

Correct, he is in Marengo. He did the IMS on my fathers C4S and now has done all the other work. I have talked to countless people that take their Porsche there.