WWCRD - Cheap "beach car" for second home (Irma kicked my car!)

zeitgeist57

I've had a condo in Naples, FL since moving back to Columbus from the area in 2008. We rent it out in the wintertime and try to go down in the summer and long weekends when we can. Since 2012, I've also kept a car down there to use, instead of renting. Usually something I already own, or I buy in OH, make easy repairs, then permanently drive down. It works out really well. The only downside is that we are very close to the Gulf of Mexico and, despite the lack of winter/road salt, the hot sun and sea breeze will destroy a car's interior, paint, and expand any open rust areas quickly. My Passat had 180k miles on it when I drove it down, and within a year there were visible rust bubbles, the leather interior was discolored and cracking, and eventually exhaust flexpipes failed, making it miserable to drive.

The car I've had down there since last year - a 2004 Cavalier LS Sport - has actually fared well. After buying it up here from a neighbor, I tuned it up and drove down there; the only real problems were the need for new tires, and rusty brake lines failed which I had to replace. The problem is it's a black car, and while it took a polish before I drove it down, the clearcoat is GONE on the roof and trunklid...starting on the hood. It looks like sh!t.

Last weekend, Hurricane Irma went directly over our area, and while my friends and our homes sustained amazingly little damage, my Cavalier apparently took some debris and "damaged the body". I don't know what that means, but my friend said it "definitely looks driveable".

So...given that my wife kinda hates the Cavalier anyway :D (despite it being a solid performer), I'm taking this opportunity to look for a replacement fun ride. I welcome your thoughts:

REQUIREMENTS:

- Less than $3000. It's not that I'm that cheap, but please trust me when I say that cars in our parking lot (no shade) just get brutalized and I'm not down there enough to justify any more money. I don't mind putting money into it (I put around $500 into the Cavalier before I sent it down) but I need total cash invested to be around $3k. It's likely to be a disposable car; good for 2-3 years, until a major repair need comes up.

- MUST HAVE A/C. It's Florida...need I say more?

- Be either reliable, or easy/cheap to maintain. I have access to a good mechanic and some car guys with tools, but I'd like to avoid having to work on a car while I'm down there.

- Seat 4 people. I don't need a van/SUV, but it's gotta have seatbelts and legroom for 4.

- Be somewhat fun??? I'd love a convertible, but after Irma, I don't like the idea of a storm wiping out a cloth top. T-tops or a huge sunroof would be excellent. Naples is a 45mph town, where you get around on a few main drags but mostly city streets...don't need a ton of HP.

- Be attractive to women. I gotta sell my wife on this one...meaning, it's got to be more upscale from a 2004 Cavalier. A 1992 Mustang won't cut it.

What will it be used for? Groceries/errands, going out to restaurants. Meeting friends. Taking my 2 kids fishing at the Naples Pier. A few highway excursions but nothing far or requiring a lot of storage space.

Things I've considered:

- Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Thanks, 2 Sweet ;)), or Northstar FWD Cadillac

- 1998-2002 Firebird/Camaro T-tops - V6, auto, RWD is still better than Cavalier 4cyl FWD auto.

- Saab - little more "upscale" with RockAuto access to parts and service center familiar with the brand.

- Pickup truck? Maximum simplicity/reliability for ease of maintenance, and utilitarian if necessary.

What I'm (my wife's) not ready for:

- Mustang convertibles - wife is not a fan

- Jeep Wranglers - ultimate "beach car" but you get sh!t for $3k, no A/C.

- Other SUVs - if it's in OH, it seems to be used in winter and already rusty.

The Cavalier may soldier on, but I'm planning on going down to Naples again for Thanksgiving, so if I get a car now is the time to do so, fix it up, and drive it down.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice vulva with heated leather for those chilly Florida nights. 250hp, AWD, and a world of options.. Just needs a window fucked with, but I bet it's one of the best mixes of 4dr comfort, fun, and reliability you'll find under $3k.

https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/d/2006-volvo-s60-turbo-awd/6288561087.html

00y0y_bY66xI68240_600x450.jpg

The Roadmaster and S60 are great suggestions.

Thanks for the ideas so far, everyone...KEEP THEM COMING!

I should also mention that not too scared of higher-mileage cars - as long as they are decently maintained - because this thing won't see 1k miles a year once it's down in FL. If a Volvo has 140k miles and it makes the price right, then all the better as it won't see 145k miles for a few years. :lol:

IF it's been looked after that Volvo would be perfect. If not... you will have some kicks in the pants.

Quite frankly, the cheap aftermarket stereo and photos-in-front-of-a-cheap-stripmall gives me pause about how the car was driven/maintainted in the past.

I get that a WalMart headunit gets AUX/iPhone integration to a car that didn't have it, but still....

People with $3,000 cars usually go to places where people with $3,000 cars go. Also, Kenwood stereos aren't cheap.. I think it's worth checking out. I owned one, and would definitely own another. Definitely ask for some maintenance records, or at least about the timing belt.

Quite frankly, the cheap aftermarket stereo and photos-in-front-of-a-cheap-stripmall gives me pause about how the car was driven/maintainted in the past.

I get that a WalMart headunit gets AUX/iPhone integration to a car that didn't have it, but still....

You would prefer the equally cheap and non-functional stock unit? And imagine there's a wall between you and the kids in the jump seats in the back so DAD DAD DAD DAD DAD can be drowned out with beauty of Subaru sounds ;)

That Roadmaster posted above looks great! Also, don't forget to consider a Fleetwood (also LT1 powered).....

369.jpg

I would avoid an F-body if you need seating for 4. You can kinda maybe have adults in the back if you really need to, but finding legroom will be a struggle.

Also, regarding the Park Avenue, keep in mind that a simple set of cheap wheels will make the car look 100x better.

Here's my $800 car.....

pvYsigYl.jpg

Here it is after a set of $200 Bullitts.....

hJJgvJVl.jpg

I second a Crown Vic Grand Marquis Lincoln Town Car 2003 and above you should be able to easily get in that price range in good shape.

Cheap, super reliable, gas mileage is iffy, and I wouldn't call it a fun car but you would never have to worry about it not starting and replacing Parts on it that are dirt cheap