Sad day. Anyone like old MOPARs?

Miller

My uncle has posted his 1971 Dodge Challenger RT for sale. It's #1 of 102 in his combo. I spent my childhood oogling that thing when I visited and going on rides. Not sure what has motivated him to sell but this car has lived it's whole life in the garage and cruised only on nice days. I just heard news of this on Facebook so I am not aware of any for sale ads.

One of 102? is it a Big Block N96 shaker hood car?

:lolguy: Exactly. I'm busy AF right now with work and life outside of it now I have to add a 3 hour drive to go see the car one last time to that list.

Unless someone local were to buy it and give me visitation rights 0_o

My uncle has posted his 1971 Dodge Challenger RT for sale. It's #1 of 102 in his combo. I spent my childhood oogling that thing when I visited and going on rides. Not sure what has motivated him to sell but this car has lived it's whole life in the garage and cruised only on nice days. I just heard news of this on Facebook so I am not aware of any for sale ads.

That's a six figure car if it's in good shape...

That's a six figure car if it's in good shape...

It's original and almost perfect. Nothing on it that Tim couldn't take care of in a day.

This is the only picture I have to prove its existence (FYI the shaker is safely hung in the garage like some sort of trophy):

image.jpg

What's the asking price?

Not sure. I heard from a cousin he turned down a low 6 figure offer from B Jackson or some other entity many years ago when he was feeling it out. I don't know what it's worth.

B5 blue with white stripes such a beautiful combo on the classics. I'm not a buyer, but I'd love to see more pics of it.
I'll see if I can help him clean it up and take them myself.

Even if they take a commission, BJackson or Mecum will be able to help him cash in on the frenzy for rare classics like that. Especially for an emotional car like that, it would probably help to have some separation.

He does have separation anxiety issues with it. His kids don't want him to sell it either. He's gone through some tough times and never parted ways with that car. That's a lot of cash to make over night if it sells.

Is it a frenzy? market is kinda soft at the moment.

honestly if he was putting out feelers last year and got 6 figs offered - he should call that guy back and take it.

That offer is old. 5-10 years old in fact. I don't feel like the market is THAT soft. Maybe it is. From what I see from frequenting the Viper forums those guys throw down this kind of money on 5 year old Vipers because they have 5k miles. You should see what special editions go for.

Owners of these cars are literally dieing, and the family doesn’t want the cars or the up keep to keep the car. In the next 10-15 years all kinds of these cars are gonna become available and drive prices down. As the market for these cars is shrinking. Millennials don’t even want a new car, they’d rather Uber.

Think of Jay Leno when he dies, where do those cars go? He has no kids... guys owning these cars are 60+. Truthfully, I feel the cars these days are better, I’d buy a used Hellcat before a 71 Challenger. The cars are faster today, people used to say the 60s and 70s were the golden age of horsepower. I disagree. We are in it now. 650hp Corvettes, 700 HP Challengers, 500 hp Camaros and mustangs.

Owners of these cars are literally dieing, and the family doesn’t want the cars or the up keep to keep the car. In the next 10-15 years all kinds of these cars are gonna become available and drive prices down. As the market for these cars is shrinking.

I have been having this conversation with my dad a lot lately regarding our 1957 corvette. The prices for them have stalled - fuelie cars have been sitting at $116K for about 10 years now, which means they have actually gone down in value because of inflation. Some of the more common cars like 2x4bbl cars have dipped back down below 6 figures. Our friend Dominic who specialized in these cars is now giving and throwing away parts he used to get big dollars for because the demand just isn't there for them anymore. My father is convinced it is because anybody who wanted 1957 vettes is dying off right now (he doesn't even like it all that much and prefers the 58-60 model with the dual headlights) and no kid is going to pay $116K for a new bloomington gold certified car they can't drive without devaluing.

I'll be honest I love the car, I bought the car (for $10K in 1996) first, and I wouldn't pay $116K for it if I had it to throw around. Of course I wouldn't sell it to anybody for less either unless it was an emergency or I died. I'm kind of hoping he gets up enough gumption to sell it now rather than make my brother and I figure it out when probating the will. My brother isn't a "hands on" car guy and couldn't maintain a car like that so we would both have to sell it and split it, because I am not paying him $58K to own it.

These are the kind of problems we have to look forward to in the future, and it's not fun.

If you want to see how the 50's-70's car hobby is going to end up, just look at the market for pre-war cars. the prices went flat, and over time they became cheap enough that you can get nice pre-war cars for less than most muscle cars. Iconic cars like the '32 ford and the Dusenberg will always hold their value, but something like a 1947 Ford is worth more to a hot rodder than as a stocker. yes people are always going to want old cars, but the reasons why will change. I can totally see all these NMCA, NCRS, and Bloomington Certified cars becoming more valuable as pro-toruing cars than restored stockers.

Millennials don’t even want a new car, they’d rather Uber.

Really? you too? it's not true, the youth generation loves cars. There is as much going on now as there was in the 1960's, maybe even more so. More track days, more grass roots racing, more auto-x, more drifting, hillclimbs, etc...

Really? you too? it's not true, the youth generation loves cars. There is as much going on now as there was in the 1960's, maybe even more so. More track days, more grass roots racing, more auto-x, more drifting, hillclimbs, etc...

Too bad the car scene here in Columbus blows. I don't think it's anywhere near where it used to be say circa 2005.

Especially after loosing Ackerman (autoX), Cooper Stadium (autoX), CMS (drifting, circle track)........

Too bad the car scene here in Columbus blows. I don't think it's anywhere near where it used to be say circa 2005.

Especially after loosing Ackerman (autoX), Cooper Stadium (autoX), CMS (drifting, circle track)........

don't forget to add ECTA at Wilmington to that list. Amazon be having none of that shit on their runways, lol.

The car scene here in Cbus is still way better than it is other places. Within a 2 hours drive you have a world class road course, two drag strips, and two different auto-x events, not to mention all the dirt tracks and flat tracks.

still in the 60's if you wanted LSR you options were B'ville and Muroc/el mirage. Now there are places like Loring and the texas mile, and also open road racing like in nevada and texas.

Crossle is right. I don't know if you were in NYC at the time but 2000-2008 ish was the peak of Columbus's car scene. There were modified cars at almost every intersection. Parking lots filled with meets. Autocross, track racing, street racing galore.

Ah memba

Yup. First half of the 00's were best locally.

I also say that we're in a turning point as far as the "horsepower" era is concerned, and today's cars are sick, but those cars defined a generation. Today's may. Time will tell.

My favorite DD to date is either my '96 XJ (not a classic, but by no means a high tech, hi HP vehicle), or the '78 K10.