Betty White The Restomod SGT

vonrottes

• 2 weeks later...

Truck has been sitting like this since last week..just got an email saying the header will be delivered today. Not sure if they repaired or replaced it. But it is out for delivery..

So today after work I gotta pull the big ass ypipe out, fix a few little holes I found in it and then shove the header back in. 8f9841111d7229712fa665fa38f677b6.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Got the header back....

And immediately noticed the collector had not been touched. Instead it looks like they replaced the flange that mates to the head....

Double checked to see if I was just blind... And it's actually leaking worse than when I shipped it off.. going to call tomorrow morning to see if I can just take it up there and show them where it's leaking.... I guess their repair guys are just incompetent since the work order clearly states "collector was leaking, check for leaks and repair"75dbc65981c50bf88d14a9a6b6837e06.jpgbb2e116ae04ae98666508dc5caba77ee.jpg

Emailed them last night and was told they found an issue with the flange, fixed it and I stead of getting sent down the line to have the collector repaired it got sent straight to shipping... So I get to send it back... I'm glad they are making it right, but it's annoying to have the truck down again.

• 2 weeks later...

3rd times the charm. Got this back from them last Friday with a leak in a different spot.

Their CS has been really helpful and in hopes of actually getting it fixed for good...I'm driving up to the sw facility in streetsborow Friday morning. And hopefully I'll have e the truck back together Friday night and I'll FINALLY MAKE IT TO CC&C Saturday morning.b0b0bdd566f85873738c512f55675157.jpg

Still have a small leak to hunt down the passenger side, most likely it's at the flange, since I applied a thin layer of rtv...and I couldn't find any leaks in the header like the driver side.

Gonna try a seal kit for the hydroboost, since I've read a few things saying what I'm experiencing is the apply piston seal leaking.. and a $40 seal kit is a lot better than having to drop $250-300 on a new unit.

Need to hook up the +12 tail light feed for the cruise and find a spot to mount it,

And figure out why the hell the passenger side headlight is so wonky.. then I'll tackle the AC this winter... Looking at getting the new Holley box when it comes out.

But it's running great so far, no real issues to speak of, other than the knocking is still present. So I'm going to keep an eye out for a new engine just in case.

Saw the truck at CC&C...some details to work out but it looks great!!!

Yeah I've got some cleaning up to do...still need to get my dad to wet sand/buff the paint.... figure out some misalignment with the body parts.......and hunt down a bed that the braces aren't rusted out.

But it's driving and I don't have to bum around in my dad's truck anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Rebuilt the hydroboost, no scoring on hard parts but looks like it was being run on old engine oil, everything inside was caked in sludge. Replaced orings and valves.. still having min or issues, think the accumulator may be full of sludge as well.

But it's survived going to Dayton last weekend, and up to Medina this weekend.

Runs great, still need to work out the tune, I don't think I've changed any of the airflow stuff since switching to the bbk intake.

Something hydralic is whining not sure is it's the power steering pump or transmission. As it happens in all gears, and goes with engine speed does seem to get louder while turning. But idk.

But I'm going to get tires this week and I'm gonna TRY to run it down the track Friday at trails if I can skirt by tech with 14" of rubber fuel line and no battery cut off switch..

Shots of my junk someone else took.

Got new tires today, just some cheap 215/65 sumitomos until I figure what wheel/tire combo I want to go with..

Got a new tune on it with some VE adjustments and it's still running really good.. still having some minor issues with the hydroboost, thinking maybe the accumulator is gummed up..

And looking at getting a second battery tray for under the hood so I can pass tech Friday, wiring up a switch sounds annoying, the only reason I moved the battery is because it didn't clear the AC which isn't currently installed.. ba5572a99bead497364ed827ecd6b92c.jpge89611c7336e2d2ed13dee25ddac3a03.jpg8f8e42015ea7ca167bee4863023b2836.jpg

• 2 months later...

Soooo, I didn't take any pictures of the last "mod" I did...and a lot of people will probably judge me for the product I used..

But meh. applied two rolls of Frost king Butyl foam insulation to the truck.

did the floor pans, doors, rear of the cab, Door panels, HVAC ducts, Kick panels and the "B pillars"? Still plan on getting some thicker Jute insulation for the floor...

But overall for $40 I'm incredibly happy with the noise dampening in the cab. No longer does it would like the exhaust it running through the floor, driving no longer sounds like the windows/doors are cracked open, and the cab actually stays warm longer than about 5 minutes after you turn it off.... and the BIG plus is no more crazy rattle sounds going over bumps! before what sounded like a coffee can being smacked is all gone! as well as the "crushed soda can" sound when closing the doors, it's now a satisfying "thud"

I knew sound dampening material would make a difference but holy crap I honestly was NOT expecting much from $20 crap from lowe's..

While lining the "b pillar" on the passenger side I also found the striker pin had bent the sheet metal inward, making it difficult to get the door to latch without slamming it shut. unbolted it and a few tabs with a hammer straightened it right up, the backing plate now sits flush on the sheet metal like the driver side.

And some of the most recent pictures of the hoopty.

443c65993cfb8ac2f3d896695e32988e.jpg

91eb628fb55630f4019094a2c93f6b8c.jpg

4c1c497503b590a6f64113288faa7614.jpg

d8296309adb8810586d3b0b63d256ea8.jpg

611a13b697914db92ec8bcae465e69f4.jpg

916181b61e851eb44338d6b7714458d8.jpg

• 5 months later...

Been a minute since the last update...

Replaced the pcm, pretty sure I fried it when the O2 sensor pins shorted to 5v. Got a 2001 0411 to replace it and it's been running great since, also replaced the torque converter and flex plate because mine developed a clatter that wasn't the bolts..

Dragged it and my girlfriend to Norwalk for the super summit show and only ran a 14.27 at 99mph and just spun a tire on the autocross.

Have a torsen from a 4th gen that I'll be putting in this weekend... Should be 1000x better than the govlock that is in it.

And finally got Viking shocks on the rear.b5ebbc622c38901c87f206d3bfeac21f.jpgc344cac3164fd31c377b58759edeec6c.jpge0c7278183f8dc160877478b6ba099f2.jpg147382ca367d0af6ae94e85c4880ebb4.jpg13daae9258d020967c8c37b465aac129.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Ope forgetting to post shit again.

Got the torsen diff installed and I LOVE IT!

Didn't really think it would be any different than the lsd that was in the old 8.8 but it feels so much more...planted? I dunno feels like its putting down more usable power especially exiting turns..

c50b10198e333ab78c7004c5aa571e55.jpg

4th of July I did the most murican thing I could think of before getting hammered in Troy.

2a7997c05456fd0d2df721019665bcf8.jpg

Also had to replace the fuel pump as my original Aeromotive Stealth 340 FINALLY died, after 7 years of abuse, after puling it out of the tank the plastic literally disintegrated.

went with a E85 compatible pump so that may be a future "upgrade" adding a Flex fuel sensor.

Still need to get the A/C stuff ordered and installed, but with parts breaking and doing other upgrades I haven't really had the money.

been saying this for a long time, but next year it's getting some meaty wheels/tires (thinking 19" camaro wheels) Brembo brakes up front and stock disk brakes in the rear since the drums won't even hold to 2,000rpm

Hell yes :cool:

Such an awesome truck. I'm loving what you've done with it

Thanks, it's actually a great feeling knowing other people appreciate what I'm doing.

and as sarcastic as that sounds, I'm serious.

Very nice! The torsen feeling more planted in the turns makes sense. I know Chevy went with the torsen over the clutch pack lsd in the 5th gen Z/28 for that reason.
Yeah it was the handling upgrade over the lsd, but I honestly didn't think it would make that much of a difference without the truck being properly setup for handling. When/if I go back to a 8.8 I'll be getting a torsen diff for it as well.

Truck is looking great! I'm envious. I can't wait to get this damn pole barn built so I can start an old autocross truck. Looks like a blast in the sonoma!?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

805 mile round trip to Carlisle PA this past weekend went great with zero issues....other than wish I would have spent the money from the diff on finishing the AC.

Got to see some famous trucks in the syty community and really just had a blast...

So neat to be part of a car scene that isn't mostly shit boxes or people that shouldn't even work on their cars.

Let me figure out where to host all the pictures from the weekend and I'll post them over in a picture thread, so many cool trucks.18bfcd24652df18d12740092df652e17.jpg4d865837657c7ed426b8de6148ebc740.jpg47273457c944f8c7ca258a2a3aaee5d0.jpg1b9b294a9be489266a19cfe68a0a959c.jpgf759d165a41801da6bbd020da3e3c08e.jpgffa5eb0f91bb855ec4b5902972965890.jpg7da6046a6f5394e6af46168a624803e9.jpg8e4f5553d35d096c2adb836c3ab8c47f.jpga9b7fc8eedf2cbb7ab972537b7d5bb09.jpg

I love the look of the originals with the beauty rings. but I really want modern tires and need something big enough to fit CTSV brakes in the future.. and I can't seem to find anyone offering a OE style wheel in 18 or 19"

I'm thinking about getting a set of 18" Camaro heritage steelies and getting them widened a little.. But I'm not sure, I'd really like to go with 19's just to be sure the brakes will fit.

As for lowering, that will happen when I put wheels/tires on it.

going to do a 2 or 3 in the rear, tighten up the preload on the front springs and get drop spindles.