Betty White The Restomod SGT

vonrottes

My new project/daily driver.

Always start a thread with picture right?

So say hello to Sonoma GT #0070

tumblr_ottr3kEAsv1ww4yovo1_540.jpg

tumblr_ottr3kEAsv1ww4yovo2_540.jpg

tumblr_ottr3kEAsv1ww4yovo3_540.jpg

tumblr_ottr3kEAsv1ww4yovo4_540.jpg

Condition I bought it in was 100% stock save for 235 tires.

Had a few small issues with electronics not working.

There is a very small amount of rust on the bottom inside lip of the fenders, one spot on the firewall, on the door seams, and on the rear of the bed at the tailgate and behind the lights. everything can/will be sanded down and fixed, no holes!

Cosmetically, the paint is flaking, there are a few dings in the driver door, the door panels have small imperfections, both bumper supports look bent but may be fixable, and there is a melted spot on the center console...

She is complete save for the factory tonneau cover, I have the front/side rails, but no bows, vinyl, or rear rail.

REALLY just small things wrong..

I realize this is an incredibly rare truck with only 806 being made, and only 101 of those in this color combo..

BUT I'm not a purist, so I will restore the body keeping the original colors and scheme. the only cosmetic mod will be using my Verde Parallax wheels from my previous S10.

But she will be getting LS swapped, driving with the 4.3 for the last few months this thing is GUTLESS compared to my old 5.3 lol.

So for the swap, I'll be reusing my 5.3/4l60e and over the winter I will be rebuilding it with forged internals, new cam, etc.

goal is a modest 400hp.

The swap will be to the best of my capabilities, not the ghetto shit I had going on in the S10, I want this to look as stock as possible so just for the aesthetic I'm switching to a BBK SSI intake manifold which I'm going to try and fit the stock 4.3 CPI vortec "cover" onto it.

Other mods that are still planned for the SGT:

CTSV front brakes (gotta fill up those 19" wheels)

Astrovan Hydroboost

3"or 3½" stainless exhaust factory style/exit

"new" 8.8 rear axle, with rebuilt diff.

Really late making this thread, but since I bought it in July I have done:

Replaced the front suspension with everything I JUST INSTALLED IN THE S10 and that was a PITA, but the factory original Delco/bilstein shocks still worked after 25 years.

Installed a pioneer MVH-S501BS, SiriusXM tuner and Pioneer A-series speakers (also out of the S10) Next is a modest amp/sub

Swapped over the Autopal E-code lights from the S10.

pulled the front bumper off and hammered out the dents in the aluminum support and straightened it up on the truck.

Replaced all the clapped out 25 year old body mounts with poly mounts, except the front/driver side cab mount that the bolt is just spinning.

Fixed all little issues. like the power wire to the drivers lock switch was broken so it didn't work, the passenger window did not roll down because the mount piece was twisted and binding in the door.

And obviously did a tune-up and oil change *twice

Upcoming purchases are a aftermarket tonnaeu cover

Custom "Sonoma GT" lloyd floor mats

And LEDs to replace all the stock incandescent bulbs.

Where's the interior pics?

Just for you.

tumblr_oxny5g6s6Z1ww4yovo1_540.jpg

tumblr_oxny5g6s6Z1ww4yovo2_540.jpg

tumblr_oxny5g6s6Z1ww4yovo3_540.jpg

tumblr_oxny5g6s6Z1ww4yovo4_540.jpg

And I forgot to post this one

tumblr_oxny6f52cz1ww4yovo1_540.jpg

I'll break out the dslr and take good pictures of everything this weekend if it's nice outside.

Hell yeah! That interior looks CLEAN :thumbup:

For a 25 year old truck yeah, it's pretty clean... Though compared to most, it's not that great.

Damn!! Where’d you find that?

Found it on W. Broad a few days before my S10 got stolen 😂 was a decent price for really clean S-series....that also happened to be kind of a rarity.

Mmm...dat red interior piping. :megusta:

Much sport, very aggressive, wow, so 90s lol

Thinking about restitching the shifter knob and steering wheel with a red thread to kind of help the interior match 😂

• 2 weeks later...

MORE PICS....because I dragged out the dslr last weekend before I got trashed.

tumblr_oxs6xobmtX1ww4yovo7_540.jpg

tumblr_oxs6xobmtX1ww4yovo4_540.jpg

tumblr_oxs6xobmtX1ww4yovo6_540.jpg

tumblr_oxs6xobmtX1ww4yovo3_540.jpg

tumblr_oxs6xobmtX1ww4yovo1_540.jpg

tumblr_oxs6xobmtX1ww4yovo2_540.jpg

Annnnnd the new LEDs

tumblr_oxox10wcqe1ww4yovo1_540.jpg

tumblr_oxox10wcqe1ww4yovo2_540.jpg

tumblr_oxox10wcqe1ww4yovo3_540.jpg

Pictures really over exposed the red so it looks a lot brighter than it really is.

A nice subtle red glow.. brighter than stock, but not all up in your face.

• 3 weeks later...

Did some stuff over the weekend.

Made a special trip up to Jegs warehouse on Friday to pick up a new tonneau cover, went with a Extang blackmax... Tried trails west but they said they didn't even have it listed.

tumblr_oyz4syl7ku1ww4yovo2_540.jpg

looks really good imo.

And I got this old thing wired up

tumblr_oyz4syl7ku1ww4yovo1_540.jpg

an old *2004* Rockford Fosgate Punch P325.2 amp and a single *2004* Rockford Fosgate Punch P212S4 sub. still have to build a custom box. Which I will do next week at a friends house. which will be 4" deep at the top, 8" at the bottom, 14" tall and 18" wide. And will also have an extension to mount the amp to directly. to keep it clean and modular....and Also I just don't want to drill necessary holes in the cab.

Something tells me he won't use the bed beyond what he can just get in/out from the tailgate.

I like the little details!

Good point. It looks good and that's really all that matters for a sport truck. Also, every Syclone I've seen had a snap style tonneau cover (I'm assuming it was a factory option) so it definitely fits this truck.

Something tells me he won't use the bed beyond what he can just get in/out from the tailgate.

I like the little details!

The most she gonna carry is luggage to/from conventions. so yeah lol

Good point. It looks good and that's really all that matters for a sport truck. Also, every Syclone I've seen had a snap style tonneau cover (I'm assuming it was a factory option) so it definitely fits this truck.

Yessir the syclone and Sonoma GT both came with a Factory *PAS* installed tonneau cover... I still have the bulkhead and side rails, but The bows, tarp, and tailgate rail were missing when I bought it...

The exception was the Marlboro syclone which got a flush mount hard cover.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I was out in Tipp over the weekend getting drunk with friends and we drunkenly made the sub box/amp rack.

It doesn't look very good, but I'll get it cleaned up eventually. smooth it out with some filler and get some carpet on it...

tumblr_ozr335rhJK1ww4yovo3_r1_540.jpg

tumblr_ozr335rhJK1ww4yovo1_540.jpg

tumblr_ozr335rhJK1ww4yovo2_540.jpg

Three drunk guys built that.... I was measuring and making cut lines, another guy was using the power tools and the short dude was supervising. none of us have any carpentry experience.. and no one got injured. and it sounds really good..

Not sure why I never realized those got essentially the same seat treatment as the Syclones, does it have the hand inflatable side bolsters? Very cool rare truck, look forward to essentially no one you meet having any idea what it is! ;) Especially after you v8 swap it.

Digging all the ideas, will certainly be following this.

Not sure why I never realized those got essentially the same seat treatment as the Syclones, does it have the hand inflatable side bolsters? Very cool rare truck, look forward to essentially no one you meet having any idea what it is! ;) Especially after you v8 swap it.

Digging all the ideas, will certainly be following this.

No, they didn't get the inflatable bits.. but in comparison to the stock seats out of my old S10... They do have more foam in them.

Lol already had a few people ask me if it was a real syclone or a clone.

• 3 months later...

Well that's embarrassing....

Over the weekend I got into an accident in the Sonoma GT...

tumblr_p4pql1B04m1ww4yovo1_540.jpg

Nothing too serious, busted the driver headlight, and bent the bumper support/mount a little bit...

also bashed in the core support and bent the driver side fender, and obviously broke the grille.

Insurance company would total it, so I've already ordered an aluminum core support, and straightened out the bumper support.

While it's down, I'm going to go ahead and start the v8 swap.

Luckily I already have two new fenders ready for paint, and I wanted to do the new core support any ways.

And It didn't break any of the cladding.. so that's fortunate.

tumblr_p4pql1B04m1ww4yovo2_540.jpg

Was only going maybe 5mph, but the brakes locked up on the wet roads Friday at the 670/270 merge... Not nearly as beat up as the S10 was, I feel comfortable repairing this...... as the cab mounts have NOT ripped off the cab..

So For the time being to cut costs again and get it back on the road ASAP I'll be using the stock radiator on the aluminum core support instead of the superior radiator... Going to start reworking the engine harness for better integration into truck... and probably going to skip the engine upgrades and just go with the bbk intake & Racetronix fuel rails.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I ordered a LOT of stuff on the 2nd.

Yesterday a small portion of it showed up

tumblr_p584jbIv841ww4yovo2_540.jpg

tumblr_p584jbIv841ww4yovo1_540.jpg

Got a big box of stuff from Eastwood with primer, engine paint, and various rust treatment/prevention

Two of Four boxes from rockauto with new brakes and a TYC grille

and a box with a 3" muffler back exhaust from heartthrob, I'll be making a Y-pipe and using it with the 5.3

Still expecting 4 more boxes of repair and swap parts.

• 3 weeks later...

Nearly ready to start pulling the truck apart, got fuel parts and the A/C bracket.

Test fit to make sure they actually fit..

tumblr_p663gsaLB31ww4yovo1_540.jpg

tumblr_p663gsaLB31ww4yovo2_540.jpg

tumblr_p663gsaLB31ww4yovo3_540.jpg

Need to order a set of injector spacers, was hoping I would be able to flip the L bracket for the fuel rails upside down and it would work, but I'm not that lucky..lol

Really hoping when I pull it all apart I can just pull the A/C system out as a whole, and just bolt it back in with the engine... I'm really just lazy and don't want to get it recharged since it works and I have no idea if it's still running R4 or if it has been updated... that's why I went with the R4 pump bracket and not tha Sanden, which I have sitting in the garage...

Another small issue is with the brake booster, this truck has the "wide" one, where as my old truck had the "thick" one which cleared the rear coil pack..

I have a flat-mount 90's astro hydroboost, needs new seal. but I'm not sure if I trust myself in modding the rod.