Talk to me about 3d printers

Geeto67

who here knows about 3d printers?

So I have been lurking around the Thingiverse and man there is some neat stuff there. Problem is, I don't know the first thing about 3d printing or how to get started. Like what's good, what's not, what is used to model stuff....

Where does someone begin?

Someone suggested the Prusa3D MK2S printer to me as being the machine that has everything I am supposed to want (even though I don't know what I want) but it's kinda pricey for something I have to build myself ($600) and doesn't come with a manual. Are there better options? I kinda just want to plug something in and start printing and learn by doing.

What I want to use it for is to make some emblems for the motorcycles I restore, plus some guitar parts, and maybe print some RC airplane parts (and one of the 3dprintlab RC planes eventually).

so...thoughts?

ANET A8... I got one, I love it. It's 139 dollars.

https://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_343643.html

It's a good printer with tons of support.

wow, that is a deal.

How tough is it to put together? I'm not the best at soldering.

I have the iMakr Startt and I love it. The kit was a bit of a challenge to put together, but all just plug and play, no soldering. Uses PLA filament, best price I've found is local at MicroCenter. For what it is I'm VERY happy, but even they will tell you it's not the last 3D printer you'll ever have, it's the first. Things I wish it had were a heated bed, and about double the printing size. 120x140x130 isn't bad, but I have found things on Thingiverse I would like to print that it's just a little small for.

I've got a Davinci Jr. Pretty neat. ~6" cube print area. I've made a bunch of parts for my bike, tall boy adapters for the yeti coozies (only way I can justify using it), some investment casting patterns, and go pro mounts. My 21 year old nephew can also also operate it no problem. Play around with some sort of modeling software (I use Solidworks) and design your own pieces, save as an .STL file, dump it into their software and go! I believe Google sketchup is free?

wow, that is a deal.

How tough is it to put together? I'm not the best at soldering.

there's no soldering.. it'll take a few hours to put together, but it's pretty straight forward. The hardest part is making sure the Z axis is level so that it goes up and down without binding.

there's no soldering.. it'll take a few hours to put together, but it's pretty straight forward. The hardest part is making sure the Z axis is level so that it goes up and down without binding.

Watched a few videos on the printer last night and decided to take the plunge and bought one this morning. I think the software and learning curve is going to be the biggest hurdle for me on this. Any recomendations on free modeling and drafting software?

Watched a few videos on the printer last night and decided to take the plunge and bought one this morning. I think the software and learning curve is going to be the biggest hurdle for me on this. Any recomendations on free modeling and drafting software?

I've used google sketchup a few times... its OK, but not great. There's a product out called "FreeCAD" that I've heard some good things about. I've used mostly CATIA, Solidworks, Pro E and Inventor, but they are big $$

I have a really old copy of Autocad, rhinoocerous, and 3d studio max, like 1999 old. It will make a .DXF file and I used to use it to adjust old wireframe models when I used to make desktop wallpapers in Bryce 3d. I feel like all this stuff is not going to be all that helpful for making actual 3d prints.

I use Cura 3d for most things... that and check out thingaverse... odds are, they already have what you need and you just download and print.

I use Cura 3d for most things... that and check out thingaverse... odds are, they already have what you need and you just download and print.

I spent the weekend looking at thingiverse and was simply blown away. I can tell already I am going to have a lot of fun with this.

I spent the weekend looking at thingiverse and was simply blown away. I can tell already I am going to have a lot of fun with this.

I have a makerbot that is almost constantly printing something from thingiverse. Read the comments on some of them and the description sometimes it gives nice helpful information on infil and temp settings for your PLA or whatever you are using.

I found a lot of PLA likes to be hit at a real high temp or it wants to pull up off the build plate half way thru a print.

What's a good material to start printing with? The thing doesn't come with any filament so where do I start with material?

I imagine after printing a few benchies I am going to want to print the printer upgrades like the fan tip and the frame reinforcements. Should I go for PLA? ABS? PETT? Which is the cheapest? the most forgiving?

hairspray on the build plate helps a TON for adhesion.. that and make sure your build plate is adjusted right. that's probably one of the most important things to do.

I may have to give that a try. I've been using a glue stick to make mine tacky, but that sounds like a good idea too.

the metal printers are just amazing. I am looking forward to when I get my kit and it's dialed in and I can try some of those metallic finish filiments that you can polish. There is an "aviation inspired" desk lamp I have been eyeing on thingiverse that would look amazing in polished bronze or aluminum. I'm probably a year away at least from printing that.