Anyone have information or items for Ferrets ?

TTQ B4U

Trying to talk my wife and daughter out of one but I'm really open to one if it's something she and her can manage, etc. I don't want to crush dreams but I'm a creature of habit and like traditional pets like our two dogs best.

If you've had one, have one or have cages, accessories, for them please chime in. Doing my fair share of web and youtube research but first-hand with you all is solid information I'd like to have.

Thanks!

I probably have one of the most peculiar pets in here and it bites me on a nearly regular basis yet I would never get rid of it. It takes determination and perseverance. I suppose you could present a bad-case scenario and judge their reactions; a response in the theme of "if it bit me (or my daughter), it's gone" is a clue to not get one as a pet.

I've had a few. There is definitely an funk to them. None of mine have been biters. Inquisitive in the extreme. Playful, goofy, intelligent. I've known of ones that were litter box trained. I would not let them have the run of the house though. Any hole about the size of a quarter they will crawl through and see where it goes. Honestly they are not really a pet for a child. I would buy a large cage (multiple levels), lots of room to move around.

They are not a pet for just anyone. I have to admit, I miss mine.

had an ex girlfriend with one. Hated being around that thing.

Everybody has already covered the basics but I'll add that you have to keep an eye on the damn things. She would let hers roam around her apartment and there were many nights it got inside the walls and we had to coax it out one way or the other. You kinda want to let it roam around like a regular pet but at the same time it will find holes in your house you had no idea about.

As everyone else has said, they smell horrible, even descented. They sleep a ton so it's a good pet for someone busy. They steal shiny things and hide them.. like my keys. Some of them do bite, one of ours was an asshole, the other was very friendly. We ended up rehoming ours after a year.

We have three, feret nation cage and a large area/enclosure for them to roam. The smell for most is manageable with baths once a month with baby shampoo and tea tree oil shampoo (specific for ferrets). They are preverbial shit boxes. They live to eat, sleep, shit and repeat. Daily cleaning of the cage is a must to keep the smell down.

When they are awake they are peppy and fun. They are emotional creatures and will get depressed if not attended too. So attention is needed to keep them from getting bored. Toys, new experiences

(Like going out side) are treats for them. Just make sure you get a harness so you dont lose them. Ours love digging in soft dirt and snow.

Food wise they cannot process grains, so grain free food is a must. (Most grain free cat food is good for ferrets too). They will need a vitamin supplement to help their diet called ferovite. About half a teaspoon a week is all its needed. And they love peanutbutter. Havent met one yet that didnt like it. We use it as a treat for training or a reward. They are very sensitive to sugar (like grain they cant break it down) so as much as it seems they like it dont give them licks of candy, cookies, etc. Ferrets are prone for developing insulinoma (kinda like diebeties) if given too much sugar it can cause it to develope faster. Some fruit every now and again is ok but only once in a blue moon. I usually give them bananas or pumpkin.

They can live for upwards of 8-10 years so they are a longer commitment. If you're not sure you want one for that long, I would suggest adoptiong one from a rescue page as upposed to buying one at the pet store.

We had 3 at one time. Dash (the brains) was my little guy, he walked on a leash and always came when you called him. Elly (the princess) was the wifes, refused to walk on a leash and only wanted to be carried. And finally, Studdly (the muscle) he was a big simple guy, kind of dopey.

None of them ever bit, they were a lot of fun, especially around the Holidays....candy canes and wrapping paper. They sleep a lot but when they are awake, just make sure you are in a Ferret proof room.

Depending on your Dogs, they may not fair well. My dog broke our cage and pounced ours to death, pretty sure she thought the were Squirrels, which are the bane of he existence.

I had one a long time ago, like 30 years ago back in New York. Ferrets were very new at the time, not many people had one. There wasn't actual ferret food, so we fed him cat food. He was a really nice pet, never bit, but not the smartest one. I've always thought that you could tell how the ferrets at the pet store are treated based on their biting habits. If you pick one up and he's biting a lot, he's probably been mishandled by 973 little kids. :(

Everyone hit on the main points: Don't let them roam the house, they do smell, they love to steal shit. Mine was NOT litter box trained, he would just randomly back up into a corner and shit if he had to go. That drove my Dad crazy. :( Mine lived about 6 years, I did enjoy him while I had him, but I'd never get another one. They just require too much of my attention and I'm too busy for a pet like that now.

because an update on my suburban dad issue is why you all logged in and clicked:

dreams of an 11yr old not crushed but shifted. wife and I have talked her out of a small ferret or something stinky and agreed that we are both good with a small dog to hang with the two we have now.

we have the room and our current two are fun, clean and great pets. Nothing larger than 25lbs perhaps a Boston Terrier, etc or whatever. It really won't matter so long as it's not a Ferret :p

Super fluffy and cuddly for the kids.

Really simple diet

Low cage maintenance

Easy to litter-train/housebroken

Poo-pellets and hay/litter waste are an excellent garden fertilizer

FREE at many shelters

The ladies at http://www.ohiohouserabbitrescue.org/ are super people and very generous with their time, experience, and shelter. Lots of cute buns to be had. https://www.fcanimalshelter.org/ FCAS has rabbits for adoption as well.

Super fluffy and cuddly for the kids.

Really simple diet

Low cage maintenance

Easy to litter-train/housebroken

Poo-pellets and hay/litter waste are an excellent garden fertilizer

FREE at many shelters

The ladies at http://www.ohiohouserabbitrescue.org/ are super people and very generous with their time, experience, and shelter. Lots of cute buns to be had. https://www.fcanimalshelter.org/ FCAS has rabbits for adoption as well.

We had one for 2 years. Their pee stinks; worse than ammonia. We did not get one from a pet store. Got it from a friend that breeds and shows rabbits. Ours bit us constantly and did not want to cuddle. You have to clean their cage at least twice a week to keep the smell down. If it gets sick, let it go. It's not worth it.

Get a dog. Much more enjoyable and easier to take care of.