Lettuce talk GM parts

Cordell

First off I am not a parts guy, I just work on cars. However I want to share some things about GM specific parts.

GM has a few different lines of parts depending on what you're talking about. Things like brakes, filters, batteries usually have a cheap line (ie ACDelco silver) and you can almost always buy these parts a ton cheaper from the internet, RockAuto for example has all of this stuff and is always cheaper then my employee cost. Dealerships pretty much only stock the cheaper ACDelco parts for "consumables" like these, the actual OE GM parts that I would have to use if it was warranty usually have to be ordered.

Now let's talk about actual GM parts, like trim, switches, engine parts, ect. These often come in an ACDelco box and are also available on the internet in many places. GM Parts Direct, Scoggin Dickey, and others, usually a very big top teir GM dealership offer up these parts to your average person much cheaper then even the local dealerships cost. The only expection locally might be Coughlin Marysville because they sell all of GM parts to Jeg's, however I've met a few techs who worked there and it was cheaper to buy from Jeg's then their own parts department even though the parts passed through it. It's stupid I know, but GM and their pricing matrixes and teired dealerships means that nobody can sell under certain places without losing money.

I have worked for 4 GM dealerships and every one was at the bottom of GM pricing structure. I have always found it cheaper to buy things online then with my employee discount. Also with the exception of a few the parts guys around Columbus aren't much better then you'd get at Autozone. It's a constant hassle getting the correct parts in a timely fashion.

If you think I moan and groan when you ask me about this crap, this is why. I don't even do it for myself, rarely for my friends, and if we've never met (despite you being rude asking someone you don't even know to do you a favor) then you can go piss up a rope. Have a nice day. Any further PMs (as I get them frequently) will be ignored I'm tired of explaining this.

Every time I see someone come up to our Parts counter with a print out in their hands, I know exactly how the conversation is going to go.

"I need this part"

"Ok, it'll be $XXX."

"But I found it for $XX online."

"I'm sorry, I can't match that price."

"Why not?"

"Because it's below my cost."

I see this all the time in my work, and not just on GM parts, makes me shake my head constantly. But speaking of GM parts specifically, I recently bought a Dorman part at O’Reilly’s locally for less than I found find online, which was both odd and awesome at the same time.

, I recently bought a Dorman part at O’Reilly’s locally for less than I found find online, which was both odd and awesome at the same time.

Buying Dorman parts is always odd, like eating at White Castle, seems like a good idea at the time, but just wait till later....

I always hate getting prices on GM parts. It seems that no matter where I call I just get grumpy 40-50 year old guys who seem like you're bothering them.

I'm always willing to help out with Toyota parts. Luckily Toyota doesn't sell parts like that.

I always hate getting prices on GM parts. It seems that no matter where I call I just get grumpy 40-50 year old guys who seem like you're bothering them.

I'm always willing to help out with Toyota parts. Luckily Toyota doesn't sell parts like that.

Yeah you getting Toyota parts is almost always worth the drive over there.