F-Body People Come On In

wagner

So, we have a new project car that just rolled into the home office shop. It's a 1999 Trans Am with 43,000 miles. Guy got it for a steal and the car is just crazy clean, so it's a solid slate to start with.

The question is, if you were going to build a killer cruiser TA in your head, what would it have?

I told him SFC, exhaust, CAI/Lid, wheels and tires and enjoy. He said he was open to suspension as well as other items, so I said lower the bitch, throw some LCAs on it and headers.

I was also going to suggest if he wanted to make it rumble to toss a cam in it.

Here's the catch, everything has to be CA legal since he lives in that shithole state.

What would the F-body crew of CR do for the Build a killer cruiser TA project?

If it's TRULY just a cruiser...no ET goals planned, autoX times, etc...

1) Wheels/Tires

2) Lower it...springs shocks should be enough, no need for tubular suspension bits.

3) Let the LS breathe (intake, exhaust). Keep it CARB-compliant

4) MAYBE throw a EO-CARB certified cam in it for a nice chop.

Since he can't ditch the cats, I would recommend the GMMG chambered exhaust. Best exhaust I ever heard on a catted LS1 f-body.

Everything else on your list sounds good. I think lowering about 1.25" (Strano or BMR springs) looks perfect on these cars. KYB AGX struts are great "bang for buck" and ride well. Adj. panhard bar would be necessary too.

I would also suggest a tune, although I'm not sure how much that would hurt (or help?) going against the restrictions in California.

Auto or manual?

Idk what the laws are exactly in CA. Just have to pass emissions? Idk how much a cam would effect this and without knowing his budget I'd say...

LS6 intake mani

CAI

Catback

Small cam

Nice wheels and tires

Maybe suspension is he likes the lowered look

Tick master cylinder for great feel and quick shifts if it's manual

Since he lives in a shithole country

NICE set of wheels/tires, pls no C5 or C6 takeoffs, way too played out now.

Do everything to the suspension he can, they handle worse than my Ram without anything done.

CAI and LS6 intake. Not sure if he would still pass emissions and the prices of LS6 intakes I'm sure are still insanely high. I haven't looked but if they are even close to a FAST or similar I'd just go that route assuming he could meet/beat emissions.

I'll assume it's a T56 car, definitely upgrade whatever the issue is I've since forgotten what makes the clutch a soft dick after a hard launch.

Again with the subframe connectors. In fact I would UMI the underside of the car. Rear end gears will wake it up without an effect on emissions. It'll me more fun stoplight to stoplight. I am assuming an LS1 car, not a V6. Wheels and tires, 275 up front 315 in the rear. Centrifugal blower (smallish) since emissions are an issue. If you can't have the cam lope, then how about the blower whine?

Unless you can find one of SLP's LS6 intakes that were modified for the EGR, that is out. Just about any camshaft is out, and I don't think it would be worth doing since it would be really mild to not have any issues with CARB.

So an exhaust and a lid. Then shocks/springs/sway bars, along with SFCs, LCAs, and a panhard rod. There are a tons of options for these things and everyone has their opinions on what's best so pick whatever brand you like. Some cool wheels and tires would be good too, but that's about it for a cruiser with California restrictions.

Yeah tell him to move away from year-round perfect weather and happy people because he can't shove a cam in his 90's fbody

When a state's biggest selling point is the weather you have problems. Expensive as hell, terrible government, fires, floods, earthquakes, liberals, bro rated people, I mean it's literally hell on earth.

I've been out there a lot for work, the weather is amazing, nice looking state, but I'll keep my freedom, cheap cost of living, and ability to do damn near what I want to a car.

Then there's this...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/01/16/new-california-declares-independence-california-bid-become-51st-state/1036681001/

Anyway, thanks for the info this will be a great start.

I’ve been thinking of getting the fays2 watts link to make the car handle better on the street. Anyone have experience with those?

UMI and BMR have both come out with watts links now, I'm on the fence about buying one because I really don't need it, but definitely worth a look. Lots more information out there for these compared to the Fays2 parts.

When a state's biggest selling point is the weather you have problems. Expensive as hell, terrible government, fires, floods, earthquakes, liberals, bro rated people, I mean it's literally hell on earth.

That's your definition of "Hell on Earth"? what a wuss.

Also, California is not a "Liberal" as everyone makes it out to be. Sure LA and San Fransisco are pretty blue, and those are the largest meto areas in the state, but there are plenty of counties in califorina that trend red. Orange County, West San Bernardino, North San Diego, Tulare, Shasta, Mariposa are all deep red locally. Yes the state trends blue on national elections but that's kind of incentive for more conservatives to move there to case shift if you care for such things.

It is expensive when compared to the midwest, even in the cheaper rural areas, but then again the weather makes it kinda worth it.

I've been out there a lot for work, the weather is amazing, nice looking state, but I'll keep my freedom, cheap cost of living, and ability to do damn near what I want to a car.

So...about all this hate for "emissions" parts. I have to say, what's wrong with being a gearhead and being environmentally responsible? I hate that the narrative, esp the automotive journalism narrative (which you are now a part of Wagner) sets it up that if you are a gearhead you are automatically against emissions regulations. It's bullshit.

If the last 30 years of automotive evolution has taught us anything it is that we can have massive performance and still be environmentally conscious. We have 700+ hp factory cars now that pollute less than 1970's honda civics - it's kind of awesome and it is that way because of emissions regulations and states like California leading the charge on forcing tech development through legislation.

I don't know about you guys but I like to breathe. When I was a kid in NYC in the 80's, the smog was terrible. Seriously, all those 70's carb'ed cars that were mostly poorly maintained stunk. Now? it's a fraction of how bad it used to be. People just weren't responsible when it came to their environment, but now - legislation holds them accountable and we all enjoy the benefit.

The Environment is not your enemy, and there are plenty of aftermarket companies that make CARB legal speed parts, so you can still mod your car and environmentally conscious. Honestly, I wish people would use CARB certified parts outside California because you still make power and you aren't being a dirtbag about the environment. All those old carb'ed cars are grandfathered in and don't have to meet emissions so if that's what you want to play with you can just go buy one of those.

Just to keep this conversation relevant: You know what would be really interesting, at least to me from a reader perspective? upgrading emissions parts from newer vehicles to help older LS cars pass while making more power. I'm sure the cats and stuff used on the LS3 are way more efficient than what was put on an LS firebird in 1999. Nobody ever talks about what equipment keeps these cars running clean, how it works, or how the mfg has improved it so something like the new camaro SS can make twice the power than what a 4th gen camaro made with the same engine series and less pollution. There has to be more than a few guys in emissions regulated states with 4th gens that are impacted by this - There's an opportunity here, you have to see it.

Also, California is not a "Liberal" as everyone makes it out to be. Sure LA and San Fransisco are pretty blue, and those are the largest meto areas in the state, but there are plenty of counties in califorina that trend red. Orange County, West San Bernardino, North San Diego, Tulare, Shasta, Mariposa are all deep red locally. Yes the state trends blue on national elections but that's kind of incentive for more conservatives to move there to case shift if you care for such things.

It is expensive when compared to the midwest, even in the cheaper rural areas, but then again the weather makes it kinda worth it.

So...about all this hate for "emissions" parts. I have to say, what's wrong with being a gearhead and being environmentally responsible? I hate that the narrative, esp the automotive journalism narrative (which you are now a part of Wagner) sets it up that if you are a gearhead you are automatically against emissions regulations. It's bullshit.

If the last 30 years of automotive evolution has taught us anything it is that we can have massive performance and still be environmentally conscious. We have 700+ hp factory cars now that pollute less than 1970's honda civics - it's kind of awesome and it is that way because of emissions regulations and states like California leading the charge on forcing tech development through legislation.

I don't know about you guys but I like to breathe. When I was a kid in NYC in the 80's, the smog was terrible. Seriously, all those 70's carb'ed cars that were mostly poorly maintained stunk. Now? it's a fraction of how bad it used to be. People just weren't responsible when it came to their environment, but now - legislation holds them accountable and we all enjoy the benefit.

The Environment is not your enemy, and there are plenty of aftermarket companies that make CARB legal speed parts, so you can still mod your car and environmentally conscious. Honestly, I wish people would use CARB certified parts outside California because you still make power and you aren't being a dirtbag about the environment. All those old carb'ed cars are grandfathered in and don't have to meet emissions so if that's what you want to play with you can just go buy one of those.

Just to keep this conversation relevant: You know what would be really interesting, at least to me from a reader perspective? upgrading emissions parts from newer vehicles to help older LS cars pass while making more power. I'm sure the cats and stuff used on the LS3 are way more efficient than what was put on an LS firebird in 1999. Nobody ever talks about what equipment keeps these cars running clean, how it works, or how the mfg has improved it so something like the new camaro SS can make twice the power than what a 4th gen camaro made with the same engine series and less pollution. There has to be more than a few guys in emissions regulated states with 4th gens that are impacted by this - There's an opportunity here, you have to see it.

giphy.gif

http://i.imgur.com/hqNtdvE.jpg

I'm just saying maybe instead of working against emissions regulations, we should....I dunno....be working with them? It all starts with attitude. fighting against the environment seems like a loosing battle all around.

Also, I think this shitting on California bullshit is getting old, Like Ohio has so much going for it....LOL.

I'm just saying maybe instead of working against emissions regulations, we should....I dunno....be working with them? It all starts with attitude. fighting against the environment seems like a loosing battle all around.

Also, I think this shitting on California bullshit is getting old, Like Ohio has so much going for it....LOL.

Kerry's narrator: As he sips his tea, pinky out