Router/Modem Advice Again

Zx2guy19

Just about 1.5 years after I bought a really good router/modem combo on Prime day, it took a shit and I'm in the market again.

Willing to spend up to $125...I'd love to get a dual band combo, but if I have to have a separate router and modem I guess I will.

Advice for the best one I can get for $125? I have 30mps internet (with WOW).

I've had excellent luck with Motorola Surfboard modems. I like to keep the access point separate since I upgrade the AP every few years but keep the modem forever.

Check and see if WOW has a list of approved modems.

Do not get a combo/all in one. When it breaks you replace all three.... and most of them are garbage.

MODEM: Get a Docsis 3.1 compatible Arris/Motorola surfboard modem. They good.

ROUTER: Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway ($110)

WIRELESS: Any Ubiquiti Unifi AP. There are CHEAP ($30) good Wireless-N units on Ebay, and very very good Wireless-AC units new starting around $100.

This setup will shit all over ANY store bought combo unit and last for many years, while allowing you to upgrade or expand one part at a time. If you need a switch, any decent gigabit switch will do, no need to shell out for the ubiquiti unit unless you want advanced monitoring.

two in one work well? or best to have a good modem and a great router?

Might but I will never recommend one (ubiquiti gear set a new standard for me)

Just got WOW 500Mb and picked up a Arris SB6190. It's worked great for the past.. 2 hours..

PSA: WOW! now has gigabit service available for all of its service area in Ohio...don't get it as you wont ever get more than about 900 due to the CSU/DSUs in place :p

PSA: WOW! now has gigabit service available for all of its service area in Ohio...don't get it as you wont ever get more than about 900 due to the CSU/DSUs in place :p

They said it wasn't available to me. Not that it's a big deal. 500Mb is pretty fantastic.

Do not get a combo/all in one. When it breaks you replace all three.... and most of them are garbage.

WIRELESS: Any Ubiquiti Unifi AP. There are CHEAP ($30) good Wireless-N units on Ebay, and very very good Wireless-AC units new starting around $100.

This setup will shit all over ANY store bought combo unit and last for many years, while allowing you to upgrade or expand one part at a time. If you need a switch, any decent gigabit switch will do, no need to shell out for the ubiquiti unit unless you want advanced monitoring.

All of this. You are wasting your money buying an all in one. Spend good coin on a great router and it will change your life.

I picked up a TP-Link Archer C50 router a few months back for our new place. It was pretty low cost and very good range. I can get good signal over my 1 acre property. The router is located in the middle of our house. I'm just using the arris modem Spectrum provides connected via its ethernet port for the interface to cable. Everything works great.

I only use it as an access point though, DHCP, DNS, etc is handled through my servers.

They said it wasn't available to me. Not that it's a big deal. 500Mb is pretty fantastic.

Should be. Call back if you want it, could have been talking to a idiot.

If you want some insights about your shit like signal levels, load on your node, etc, pm me your account number or phone number on the account and I'll look it up when I go in on sunday night

Going to check out a couple of the routers in this thread tomorrow. All of a sudden the Chromecast in my basement won't connect to the POS spectrum router which is maybe 50 ft away.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I would also recommend looking into the Amplifi mesh router. It lacks some of the features that other high end routers have (file serving, advanced routing tables, etc) which doesn't really matter for most people. It's solid, app-based control, and I haven't had any issues with it of the past year. It also doesn't look like the crown of Sauron, so you can put it more places. It's also fairly strong. I have it in my basement and despite not having any external aerials, I get a good signal throughout my house without having to use any of the mesh nodes.

Damn, wish I would have seen all these suggestions before I pulled the trigger. Looks like it'd be $50-60 more to go with the suggestion above, but if I get good internet, who cares?

Right now I only have 30mb. I don't use wi-fi on my phone because I have unlimited data so I'm always connected to LTE, so I truly only use it for Xbox and Netflix (Amazon Fire really)

• 1 month later...
What are the thoughts on this combo deal? on sale for $88 right now. Seems like a solid deal

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071R8W11Z

FWIW I have a dead AC1750 from a friend in my closet. Asked if I could get it working...idk why I havent tossed it.

I bought the Nighthawk 7000 and its been good for the past month or so. Better range than my old TC-link router.

I also upgraded my modem. Still only getting ~36meg down on my 100meg service through Spectrum... :sigh:

only getting 36mbit over wifi? wired?

This or build a clear os box out of an old computer throw in a cheap 10 port switch and a unifi ap. Boom magic logging.

I would also recommend looking into the Amplifi mesh router. It lacks some of the features that other high end routers have (file serving, advanced routing tables, etc) which doesn't really matter for most people. It's solid, app-based control, and I haven't had any issues with it of the past year. It also doesn't look like the crown of Sauron, so you can put it more places. It's also fairly strong. I have it in my basement and despite not having any external aerials, I get a good signal throughout my house without having to use any of the mesh nodes.

In 300 dollar range the two mesh point system with the main router node is pretty solid. Installed one for a family member in a 5k square foot house and it covers whole house well and even reaches outside to a pool and gazeebo. Plus considering how the mesh points work most people will never notice the AP handover its fairly smooth.

• 2 weeks later...

Can I jump in on this? My wife says we need a new router that can handle all of our devices and that is the reason why the internet cuts out/freezes/lags sometimes. I'm internet dumb in this department, so will the ubiquiti router work for multiple devices?

We have 2 tv's that stream, 3 cell phones, 3 tablets and a couple gaming systems....TIA

Edit...how about this one? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/linksys-wireless-ac1750-dual-band-wi-fi-router-black/5972600.p?skuId=5972600

Edited by Bam