1999 astro van starting issues

SloSVTruck

Hey guys, this is the first I've really posted anything about having issues with my POS work van....

Figured would see if any techs on here have dealt with this or have any experience or tips.

So have a 99 astro van 160k miles on it..... engine runs good have no complaints with that.

Issue being when it rains/snows and sits for a while the van will not want to start.

Now...... I have researched and changed many parts on this POS.... but still having issues, sometimes it will start fine then months later it will act up again.

So the parts I have changed:

Ignition module, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, ignition coil, spider fuel injection assembly, crank sensor, cam sensor.

Some of these I have done multiple times and also installed acdelco parts at one point or another......

The one thing I can do to get it to start pretty much every time is take a blow dryer and set it under the hood about 1 foot away from the coil/ignition module let the blow dryer run for 2 mins and it will fire right up.

This has to be a moisture issue but I've changed almost all the ignition parts except the whole distributor itself.

Anyone ran into this before and have tips/solution????

Thanks

Jon

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yes shitty plug wires, and a crack on the coil . I chased this problem and put advance auto wires on a vortec. Wires looked fine but were crap after less than a year. They were all placed in the correct holders and run neatly. Blew the muffler apart a couple of times from crossfire allowing a backfire. Never suspected the wires, because they were "new". The coil crack was a different truck, but showed consistent but weak spark.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to update and thank everyone for the tips they provided.

As I said before I have pretty much changed all ignition related parts at some point.....

Well other night wouldn't start leaving work. Friend of mine came to help me check it out, it was dark out. So pulled the doghouse and was looking around and turning it over.

I seen a spark coming from the coil wire where it had barely rubbed a little bit on a metal tube overtop of it. Taped that up and moved it for a temp fix. Then crank some more and my buddy notices sparks coming from the coil...... shooting out from the iron/metal plates.

I had totally forgot about seeing something like this the first time I changed the coil but..... I had installed a cheap coil from advance. So this coil was the factory acdelco coil doing the same thing maybe 2 years after being installed..... I was shocked[emoji23][emoji23] it was doing it again....

I had some dielectric grease in the van..... rubbed it all over the metal plates and boom it fired right up..... Like really WTF.

So..... installed a new coil wire with wire loom and severely coated the coil with dielectric grease that seems to be my fix for this POS.

Thanks again everyone!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk