Snow plows

RedRocket1647545505

God I fucking hate them.

Why on Earth do we find it necessary to plow the roads in Ohio with the slightest dusting of snow? That shit's gonna melt within 7 days anyways. Buck up and deal with it.

But nope. I found myself trying to rake the gravel out of my yard today so the mower won't throw a rock through a window when Spring rolls around. I also find myself contemplating if I should take my truck in for an alignment check after the massive pothole I hit coming home from work the other night. I, again, find myself hating them because I probably look like a drunk with all the bobbing and weaving I was doing on my way to Columbus today in an attempt to dodge all the other new potholes.

And for what? So people can drive easier? They wreck anyways. Commerce? It'll recover. But these potholes? I've gotta deal with them for probably the next 3 years, or the shitty patch jobs ODOT or The County will attempt.

/rant

I'd be curious to see some sort of cost-benefit analysis on what costs taxpayers more; the price to repair the roads + salinization of the environment + whatever else, or the money lost due to accidents + impeded commerce + whatever else.

My favorite is when the plows are rolling by shooting sparks off of the blade since the road is clear and it doesn't need to be done. They serve a purpose and have been helpful this year so far. It has snowed a little bit more up here in NE Ohio, so I haven't been around for much of the plow when it's only a dusting stuff.

My favorite is when the plows are rolling by shooting sparks off of the blade since the road is clear and it doesn't need to be done. They serve a purpose and have been helpful this year so far. It has snowed a little bit more up here in NE Ohio, so I haven't been around for much of the plow when it's only a dusting stuff.

Overtime bitches!!!

maybe if the OSHP and all 47 other police entities that seem to have reciprocity over cbus would get off their lazy asses and actually cite people for driving on bald tires, tailgating, not paying attention, cutting in, etc maybe there wouldn't be so many accidents everytime it snows/rains/gets cloudy/rush hours

snow plows LOL sure bring em out when there's a few inches of powder sitting on the roads

maybe if the OSHP and all 47 other police entities that seem to have reciprocity over cbus would get off their lazy asses and actually cite people for driving on bald tires, tailgating, not paying attention, cutting in, etc maybe there wouldn't be so many accidents everytime it snows/rains/gets cloudy/rush hours

snow plows LOL sure bring em out when there's a few inches of powder sitting on the roads

Columbus is the capital for driving on spare tires. Also be careful what you ask for. I came from a city that if you had a different size tire than stock you had to get a permit and the police could stop you at any time even if you were not breaking any laws.

Columbus is the capital for driving on spare tires. Also be careful what you ask for. I came from a city that if you had a different size tire than stock you had to get a permit and the police could stop you at any time even if you were not breaking any laws.

I don't support statewide vehicle inspections, although they have their merits. The police need to be out patrolling, and if some turd is holding up a column of traffic, they deserve some scrutiny.

I can barely go 1 mile on 270 without seeing some pile of shit that is obviously not road-worth just trundling along holding masses of people up causing jams.

Regular-person cars on functional tires shouldn't have a problem with a dusting of snow, no reason the plows need to come out until it's really piling up

I also find myself contemplating if I should take my truck in for an alignment check after the massive pothole I hit coming home from work the other night.

I say do it. I just had a blowout on 270 last week because I was unaware that the toe angle on my one rear wheel was so fucked up (toe out) that the inside of the tire went down to the cords. Only thing I can think of was that I must've hit a pothole at some point.

It wasn't very pleasant putting on the doughnut in 3 degree weather at 8:30am on the side of 270. So now I have a new set of Continentals and fresh alignment :thumbup:

I don't support statewide vehicle inspections, although they have their merits. The police need to be out patrolling, and if some turd is holding up a column of traffic, they deserve some scrutiny.

I can barely go 1 mile on 270 without seeing some pile of shit that is obviously not road-worth just trundling along holding masses of people up causing jams.

Regular-person cars on functional tires shouldn't have a problem with a dusting of snow, no reason the plows need to come out until it's really piling up

I came upon a truck ones going 35 on 270 that I am surprised even ran. No way it should have been on a public road, let alone the freeway.

My "new" '01 Silverado came with the P.O. - a friend of mine - saying that he hit a pothole and it's now"driving funny".

Literally, the top of the steering wheel hits the one o'clock position if I let go. I held it straight for 280 miles to Cleveland and back and dropped it off when I got home for an alignment. Shop is at least 2 days out...on an alignment.

I hate winter. It's an asteroid field on the highways, dodging potholes. We salt the roads so our metal gets destroyed, and water melts only to re-freeze and heave the road until it craters. Seriously, what salt mafia controls our obligations to maintain 6-story tall football fields of road salt when 90% of the cars on the road have AWD/4WD, if not ABS or at least traction control?

In NY it is primarily enforced through the meter readers. You have a little sticker on your windshield and if it expires they write you a ticket. They don't usually bother writing you an equipment violation - they just leave it up to the inspector who is just a state licensed shop. If you get to many out of inspection violations they cancel your registration, and if you car does not have a valid inspection at the time of renewal they won't let you renew (you can apply for a 30 day extension to have the car inspected - new registrations get the 30 days automatically).

The Police don't generally pull you over for just an expired inspection, but they have no problem writing you for one if they stop you for something else (like driving at night with an out headlight). If you have an accident with a car out of inspection it is noted on the police report.

It's pretty low impact and it keeps some absolute dangerous things off the road. NY fixes the prices for them so it was when I left $25 for a car and $5 for a motorcycle. I never really heard shops complain because inspections brought people in the door and they could usually sell them a repair if the car wouldn't pass.

I used to do motorcycle inspections in NY when I worked for Piaggo. I had no problem failing people for stuff I thought was dangerous, but would often let things like non-functioning blinkers or horns slide with a warning (if it was just a bulb I usually sold them a bulb just to clear my conscience).

Since the state just licenses shops to do it the quality does vary some. Some places just plug into the OBDII port and look at the emissions profile and fault codes. For a 20 year old or older OBDI or carb'ed safety inspection some places put it on the lift and some just kick the tires in the parking lot.

What's nice is at one time NY required cars to be Dyno'ed for emissions, and it's the same dynojet used for doing power testing just different software, so when I was in my 20's a group of us would just gather at whatever shop one of us worked at on a Friday night and "dyno tune" our cars before hitting Francis Lewis blvd.