Crossover or medium size SUV - CR Peeps Opinions Needed

TTQ B4U

Looking for a new one for wifey. I've not really shopped this market outside the Edge Sport that is on the list.

What else should we be looking at? Nothing entry level as we are open on pricing. Probably won't go over $40k. Open to 1-2 yrs old with low miles. By low I would be looking for really low. I don't need someones 2yrs of ragg'd out shit.

Needs to have some nuts. No 2.5l N/A bullshit 4cyl. Open to turbo'd 4's and definitely V6's. The RDX V6 seems interesting.

Let the journey begin....

We looked long and hard in 2017 in the mid to midlarge segment but had a towing requirement. Our

3 favs were the Jeep grand Cherokee, durango and touareg.

If the durango had the diesel option it'd been 1, but since it didnt, the Jeep was. Then durango since easier to find and newer vs treg, then treg.

2014+ summit ecodiesel grand Cherokee is a well rounded suv.

I've seen newer and older cayennes both put down some pretty impressive times at the ol razewars, and an srt8 jeep that wasn't terribad. The Macans are fast too but that's going to be a challenge under 40k.

If I was forced to buy an SUV it'd be an older cayenne GTS, becauz manual. And nothing looks better sitting in the starbucks queue than a PORSH.

Personally, Grand Cherokee High Altitudes and bmw X6s top my list. Tons of comforts and options, great styling, solid 4wd systems and an abundance of power.

But let's be honest, she has been driving a Sedona for the past decade. She deserves an open check book and any suv of her choosing.

I'd say SRX, I've never met a woman who drove one and disliked it. Otherwise probably something in the rdx world.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Edited by Turbs3000

GM's entries into the midsize SUV crossover segment are complete shit, buy something else. Never thought I'd say that, but I work on them and wouldn't own one. The new Acadia maybe, but only if I was going to get rid of it before the 3yr/30k is up.

Scott are you seeing more of the same issues with the new 3.6 that the pre 2011s had?

Haven't seen much out of them yet, but there is surely more that can go wrong. They now have active fuel management and auto stop, and a really cheap looking unlocking rocker arm design for the AFM. I've only had one apart so far (failed because Valvoline let the oil filter fall off), but I'm sure it'll be something. I'll admit that they run decent but the auto stop ruins the smoothness of it's performance when you go to take off and it chuggles. The only thing it shares with the old 3.6 is the displacement.

Looking for a new one for wifey. I've not really shopped this market outside the Edge Sport that is on the list.

What else should we be looking at? Nothing entry level as we are open on pricing. Probably won't go over $40k. Open to 1-2 yrs old with low miles. By low I would be looking for really low. I don't need someones 2yrs of ragg'd out shit.

Needs to have some nuts. No 2.5l N/A bullshit 4cyl. Open to turbo'd 4's and definitely V6's. The RDX V6 seems interesting.

Let the journey begin....

So is this what you want, or what she wants?

The new diesel options GM have are very appealing in the colorado/canyon and their small suvs.

Well let me tell you this, GM has already told the salesmen and the techs that these diesels are great for people who do alot of traveling, but as we saw with the Cruze diesel these will have issues making lots of shorter trips. They foul out exhaust sensors and get clogged up with soot. They have to be driven longer distances on the highway to run through their regen programs. If you don't buy it to do lots of traveling then you'll hate it. I've driven the Colorado diesel and it's not anything special.

. They now have active fuel management and auto stop, ..... I'll admit that they run decent but the auto stop ruins the smoothness of it's performance when you go to take off and it chuggles. The only thing it shares with the old 3.6 is the displacement.
Auto stop would be a deal killer. Unless it can be disabled without an aftermarket tune

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

Can find a nice 16/17 Audi Q5 in that range.

It's not off the table for good but per our conversation today, they are at the far end of things given the long-term costs to own them maint. wise.

Going to have her drive a Highlander as I don't think she'll feel they are big but I could be wrong. They drive smaller than they are just like the Acura MDX. However, there, the Acura RDX may be more what she is looking to rock daily. I'll know more later.

Volvo XC60? We are trying to stretch to a XC90 but just can’t bring ourselvess to spend that much and my wife thinks the 60 is too small (she’s wrong)

That and she saw the new Murano and liked it. Haven't driven either yet.

I strongly recommend the qx70 which used to be called the fx35.. I had a fx35 as a daily and its amazing. The infintis have all the tech you could want and they are very stylish. They ride great and with your new Infiniti you already know what to expect. Easily get a 2017 in your budget.

Get a new CR-V. Boring, sure. Features are good in the more premium models. Comfort is good. AWD. You will literally never have to do anything to it but change the oil and tires and brakes.

Bought a new one 10' zero percent financing (obviously paid off). The only "major" repair made was the ac compressor clutch. Everything else has been fantastic, its a very nice little car for my wife to hump around in. 157k on the clock. I am fully anticipating 250k out of it, if not more. Ive driven the new model, its improved upon for certain, quite liked it.

But its not a very "sexy" choice.