Garage Time - "Airbnb" for DIY

zeitgeist57

https://jalopnik.com/this-airbnb-for-diy-garage-space-lets-you-wrench-in-ran-1822537066

I'd be REALLY nervous about dudes stealing my s**t, or having easy access to my house, but if someone told me I could rent out my garage (and air tools, welder, jacks) for $20-$40/hr on some weekend, I'm inclined to be down.

Certainly similar ideas have been talked about before. Could be cool if you had a multi-car garage to rent out all the bays on Garage Time...

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125986&highlight=garage+rent

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127455&highlight=garage+rent

I actually think its a really cool idea, I just worry instantly about liability. I've looked into AirBnb'ing my house while I travel for work, and honestly, they have their shit together when it comes to theft and such. So many measures in place I wouldn't be worried to do it.

However with someone using my property (outside of a shower and bed) I start to worry about just general liability. A cool idea though

• 2 weeks later...
I thought about this years ago. I would set a shop up for its individual Bay access. If you are not done with your vehicle and it's not gone you get charged another day. I leased out space the two other businesses a few years ago. The question is what would somebody be willing to pay for shop space and a lift? Most people that wrench on their own cars have tools oh, they just might not have the space. To alleviate stolen or broken tools just create a rental tool program like advance and AutoZone.

I thought about this years ago. I would set a shop up for its individual Bay access. If you are not done with your vehicle and it's not gone you get charged another day. I leased out space the two other businesses a few years ago. The question is what would somebody be willing to pay for shop space and a lift? Most people that wrench on their own cars have tools oh, they just might not have the space. To alleviate stolen or broken tools just create a rental tool program like advance and AutoZone.

Insurance though for injury?? There are so many legal issues with this set up though. Is a great concept but the cost to run it far out weigh a profit to be made

My biggest concern would be liability as Steve mentioned, but also competence of the person operating the lift. This could be easily avoided if you where there to act as supervisor to make sure they know what they are doing but then It would require enough clientele to make it a full time operation.

I do agree with Kevin that most are knowledgeable about how to work on their own cars. But those who don't have their own place usually borrow someone else's or are too broke to rent a shop in the first place.

The real question would be what you would have to charge per hour/day to make it profitable. Would you have enough time to monitor the shop as it is use, or would you have to higher a supervisor to ensure your equipment is being used properly. Then you get into after hours costs as we all know what should only take 20 minutes turns into 2 hours quite frequently.

My biggest concern would be liability as Steve mentioned, but also competence of the person operating the lift. This could be easily avoided if you where there to act as supervisor to make sure they know what they are doing but then It would require enough clientele to make it a full time operation.

I do agree with Kevin that most are knowledgeable about how to work on their own cars. But those who don't have their own place usually borrow someone else's or are too broke to rent a shop in the first place.

The real question would be what you would have to charge per hour/day to make it profitable. Would you have enough time to monitor the shop as it is use, or would you have to higher a supervisor to ensure your equipment is being used properly. Then you get into after hours costs as we all know what should only take 20 minutes turns into 2 hours quite frequently.

Could offset some of that cost buy renting out space for a taco truck in the parking lot.

I could see it working if you had your own business but way to much shop. Think maybe one guy is running a shop full time but the shop is big enough to accommodate 3-4 mechanics then maybe rent out a few spaces like this. But as you said you'd be there as a "supervisor" doing your own work.

Clay, AirBnB is going to be verboten in Uber Arlington. People are getting away with it now but I was at a recent zoning meeting in which they denied a request and spoke about forthcoming rulings to come out 'agin it.

Got it, Brian.

If some of the guys on City Council had their way, they'd shut off rentals in UA altogether. :rolleyes:

http://diyautorepairshops.com/index.php

Here’s what they have here in Denver. I drove past it working the other day and it made me think of CR since this has been a running topic for years. Then I check in and here it is again.

That is awesome

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk